Shawafel, 13th and H Streets in the Atlas District - Owner Alberto Sissi's Shawarma, Falafel, and French Fry Sandwiches - Closed

I'm always on the hunt for good falafel/shawarma in the DC area. Not a huge Amsterdam Falafel fan; prefer Pita Hut in Rockville. I went with a buddy for lunch today to the month old Shawafel in the Atlas District. The address is 1322 H St NE. I had the falafel/shawarma sandwich, which came with lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, pickled turnips, mint, and tahini. Everything is made in house. The sandwich was absolutely incredible and blew all competition out of the water. The space is really well laid out, extremely clean, and Alberto the owner couldn't have been nicer. All meats are spit roasted and the sandwiches are more "laffa" style then in a pita. We also shared an order of labneh, which tasted super fresh, and an order of fries, which are hand cut. Great new addition for DC's fast casual scene!

I'm always on the hunt for good falafel/shawarma in the DC area. Not a huge Amsterdam Falafel fan; prefer Pita Hut in Rockville. I went with a buddy for lunch today to the month old Shawafel in the Atlas District. The address is 1322 H St NE. I had the falafel/shawarma sandwich, which came with lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, pickled turnips, mint, and tahini. Everything is made in house. The sandwich was absolutely incredible and blew all competition out of the water. The space is really well laid out, extremely clean, and Alberto the owner couldn't have been nicer. All meats are spit roasted and the sandwiches are more "laffa" style then in a pita. We also shared an order of labneh, which tasted super fresh, and an order of fries, which are hand cut. Great new addition for DC's fast casual scene!

Just tried it (other than the labneh -- next time) and concur in all particulars. Terrific addition.

Ditto to the previous two posts. Bob and I stopped by for carryout this evening--a lamb sandwich, the "shawafel" sandwich (shawarma and falafel), plus the tabouleh salad. All was excellent; the tabouleh a bit different in that it was mostly parsley and mint and very little bulgar--quite intense. Plus, they sent along an extra pita, chicken, lamb, hummus and more tabouleh in a separate container. A huge amount of food for a pittance.

Just tried it (other than the labneh -- next time) and concur in all particulars. Terrific addition.

Just had the chicken sandwich (with a few fries and a great garlic sauce inside), and the labneh. Both fantastic. Chicken might even be better than the lamb/beef. This place will definitely make it if Alberto Sissi can keep up the quality. He said he sold over 1000 sandwiches at the H Street festival yesterday -- which means the word will be out. Only room for improvement: They could use a tastier, less generic pita, and more interesting, even homemade, drinks. But those are quibbles . . .

Shortly after I saw the original post on this thread, I was talking to a friend whose brother lives a couple of blocks from here. They had been passing by the day it opened (or the day after--something of that sort) and the owner lured them in with food. She thought it was quite good.

The plan was to eat our take-out at the ballpark, but the boy wasn't cooperating, so we ended up eating them at the dining table. (And given the piss-poor performance by Los Nacionales, I'm glad we didn't head down there.)

We departed from our usual duo of meat and chicken shawarma, and split shawafel and shish taouk sandwiches. The falafel was pretty soggy, and really took away from the generally awesome spit-roasted meat. The shish taouk was a bit unbalanced today, with too much garlic toum and not enough tangy pickles for my taste. I still devoured it in less than 3 minutes, mind you...I'm just in a nit-picky mood.

I think sticking with the spit-roasted varieties of sandwich are still your best bet here, as I don't think the falafel they put out is worth writing home about. And it may be worth your while to ask for extra pickles on your shish taouk if you have a sour/salty tooth as I do.

I've heard (but have no secondary confirmation) that the owner of Shawafel will be opening a new restaurant (in addition to H St.) in the Hine complex at Eastern Market, probably in January. It will be similar to the original but have a different name--possibly something with "shawarma" in it.

I couldn't figure out what to do for dinner so I ordered Doordash from here last night.  It seems like it's just cheaper and easier to go to the actual restaurant, so I hadn't ordered from them before.  The food arrived in about half an hour. It traveled well and arrived hot.  I ate about half each of a meat shawarma and a shawafel sandwich and put the rest away for today. I also ate probably half of the fries I ordered (and ditto), but I always forget that I just don't care for the za'atar on them.  It's not like they're bad.  It just seems like there's an excessive amount of the dried spices and it just doesn't go together for me.  Their food is generally solid (as was this order), and I miss their stand at Nats Park.

4 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

Closed as I walked by.  Also, Micho's on 5th (similar concept, I understand Micho used to be part of the Shawfel team) has been closed since Thanksgiving. 

A couple weeks ago, I went to Sally's Middle Name (still really good, but service desperately needs training - DaRiv18, I had those fried oysters, and also the potato gnocchi, although I went with the Vegetarian Bolognese), and I could swear Shawafel was open then.