Asian Auto Service, Old Town Alexandria

JimRice

I've been using Asian Auto Service since before the warranty went out on my 2001 Subaru, and they're now taking care of it and our Hyundai Santa Fe. They're a short walk from the Braddock Road metro. I know they were about 33 percent cheaper than the dealer on brake work on the Subaru. Since then, they've done everything from the easy stuff like belts and hoses and spark plugs to the complicated problem that most Subaru's suffer from, head gaskets. I trust them after this many years, but in this case they made sure to save the bits and show me what happened to the gaskets and explain the repair in detail. Their family own two Outbacks, so they know them inside and out.

In addition, they actually honor the warranty on their work. I've had only one job where their repairs weren't up to snuff, and they were the ones who told me that it was their responsibility. Otherwise, it's always been drop it off, they call me during the day with an estimate, and it's done when they say it will be. They're reliable that way. If your car is one of the Asian makes, I'd recommend them for honesty, price, and convenience. And if you own a Subaru, they've got a lot of experience.

Their website is here (with a list of specialties).

Jim Rice

I want to thank Jim for writing this place.

I took my honda civic here for an exhaust leak and balance arm bar change and they got the work done in day and a half and beat the previous place`s price by more than $350. I was so happy when the younger guy explained everything with the pricing, gave me a time frame and called me when my car is ready. They were on time which is great for me. Now if I have any problem with my car I am going there.

and they know Jim Rice by name

Ferhat Yalcin

Okay, now I have to thank Einar and Einar Jr. for fixing my car again. They had replaced the head gaskets in February 2011. In January 2012 it started having some weird overheating, and had fixed it with a new radiator cap, we thought. Then in April, it started again and they found that the head gaskets had failed. It was outside the 12 month warranty, but they replaced them again at no charge to me. That's an $1800 job that they did, and they took ownership of it. Yes, the gaskets shouldn't have failed, and they're going to have a conversation with the manufacturer because it was a manufacturing defect. (I don't know what words they'll use, but I guess it won't be good.)

A good mechanic fixes your car. A great mechanic looks for what shouldn't be happening, finds out that it's something to do with their repair, and fixes it without you arguing with them. This reinforces the fact that they're the kind of people you want to work with, and will be getting my business for a long time to come.