Fat Shorty's (was Rabbit), Bratwurst and Sausages on Clarendon Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed

Does Rabbit offer carryout?

Yes, we've called in our order and done carryout the two times we've eaten from there. Good phone service (one item I'd had before, the prosciutto and grilled peach salad, wasn't on the online menu, but I asked and they still have it).

I discovered that Rabbit does not serve rabbit, but here's a rare bit of good news: The grilled vegetable and crusted tofu dinner is very tasty. :P

Do they serve melted cheese on toast?

Welch hit.

I think the name refers to what a rabbit may eat; not eating the rabbit.

Do they serve melted cheese on toast?

Welch hit.

I think the name refers to what a rabbit may eat; not eating the rabbit.

Indeed they do, although Rabbit calls it a "classic grilled cheese" sandwich. But I understand that it is rarely ordered.

ArlNow had an article today that Rabbit has changed its hours to be open only during lunch on Mondays through Fridays.

But see the post here and subsequent discussion about how the lunch business is pretty quiet in Clarendon.

The article says:

"We have gone to a lunch-only schedule for the next few weeks during the cold winter days,” Gordon told ARLnow.com. “We will re-evaluate [our] schedule for Rabbit soon."

I wonder how Rabbit is going to fare. And I'm surprised they're limiting it to weekday lunches.

This is brilliant! There isn't anywhere to get sausages or German and Belgian beers nearby. Somebody needs to open a Chop't or a Sweetgreen in Clarendon. Or any other salad place that doesn't suck.

Yes! or a Devon and Blakey's. I'm going to miss Rabbit's very tasty salads. (for the Courthouse area, while people don't think of Bayou Bakery for salad, I'm extremely fond of their green salad with Cherry Glen goat cheese, apples, and pecans).

I walked by Rabbit nearly every day and only went in once. As I recall, I wasn't really in the mood for any of the predetermined combinations and it wasn't set up for me to choose ingredients I actually wanted. I was also the only person in the place and it still managed to be godawful slow. I never went back. Had it at least been fast, I might have stopped in two or three times a week -- there is a real need in Clarendon for fast, reasonably healthy food. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see much of a need for beer and sausages. I also don't see that space being particularly conducive to the German beer hall experience they're trying to evoke. But who knows, maybe it'll find a niche.

I walked by Rabbit nearly every day and only went in once. As I recall, I wasn't really in the mood for any of the predetermined combinations and it wasn't set up for me to choose ingredients I actually wanted. I was also the only person in the place and it still managed to be godawful slow. I never went back. Had it at least been fast, I might have stopped in two or three times a week -- there is a real need in Clarendon for fast, reasonably healthy food. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see much of a need for beer and sausages. I also don't see that space being particularly conducive to the German beer hall experience they're trying to evoke. But who knows, maybe it'll find a niche.

I wish instead of what is going into that space Cava would have put one of their fast casual outlets in there, or agreed Sweetgreen, or a Taylor Gourmet, or a Pret, or.... There really do need to be some non-taco, non-burger fast causal options for when you are shopping in that area and don't want to have a sit down meal. Whole Foods is so perennially crazy I hate to go in there just for lunch. I do like the Bayou Bakery salads, although I don't think they are particularly healthy, I think they have a much steadier lunch biz because they are right next to the courthouse and are quick enough to get you in and out on a lunch recess. I liked the idea of Rabbit, the limited menu just wasn't very appealing, and the fact that they were sandwiched in with the cupcake place is just kind of odd. I actually had a groupon to go that was limited to dinner, so that won't be being used. I have absolutely no interest in the new concept, if I wanted to eat that type of food, I would go to Lyon Hall, which has a great happy hour, good wine and beer selection.

This is brilliant! There isn't anywhere to get sausages or German and Belgian beers nearby. Somebody needs to open a Chop't or a Sweetgreen in Clarendon. Or any other salad place that doesn't suck.

Agreed. I went to Rabbit once and got poor/mediocre version of a ceasar salad and the service was slow despite me being the only customer. Clarendon has an abundance of fro-yo and cupcakes and no decent quick salad/sandwich option. Whole foods and Northside sort of field the niche, but neither is especially fast, nor would I expect them to be, as its not what they are aiming for. I'm partial to Chop't, but I think really any fast casual chain that's a step up from panera or cosi would do really well in Clarendon.

Given the poor management/execution of Rabbit, I'm very skeptical this new place will succeed now that their concept is not novel for the area. And good luck getting a beer hall vibe going in that place.

I wish instead of what is going into that space Cava would have put one of their fast casual outlets in there, or agreed Sweetgreen, or a Taylor Gourmet, or a Pret, or.... There really do need to be some non-taco, non-burger fast causal options for when you are shopping in that area and don't want to have a sit down meal.

Agree. A Sweetgreen would kill it there. I'm partial to (takeout) salads for lunch, and my options now are somewhat limited. Usually a just get a $3.99 pre-made salad from Trader Joes, or I'll splurge and get one from the WF salad bar (which usually ends up costing at least $10, even when I carefully select only the lightest of ingredients :))

One place I do frequent a lot is South Block Smoothie. The smoothies and sandwiches are healthy and tasty, and the prices are fair.

The lunch options at our Mosaic shop are WAY better! (Sweetgreen, Cava Grill, and Taylor Gourmet)

Opening tomorrow at 4pm (Rock Harper's tweet - his twitter page also identifies him as a co-owner as well as chef.) They have a menu on their Facebook page and it includes a large variety of sausages including two vegan sausages plus a couple of mussel dishes.

Is this a new ownership? I thought the old owners were rebranding. Also, do you know how many, if any, of the sausages will be made in-house? Lastly, do you know if Chef Harper will be there full-time, or only as a consultant?

Neither their Facebook page nor their website makes any mention of Rock Harper, so until I hear positive confirmation (I wrote him), I'll assume he's consulting (which is perfectly fine; I just wouldn't list him as chef in the thread title).

In response to Don's questions above, here's what I found. According to this Washingtonian article, Aaron Gordon is still an owner.

Restaurateur Aaron Gordon is in the midst of creating a concept inspired by Belgian and German beer gardens with a new partner and co-owner, chef Rahman “Rock” Harper.

I don't know how many sausages will be made in house, if any, but the article names Sausage Craft from Richmond and Binkert's from Baltimore as supplying some of them. The article says that "Harper will craft a variety of customizable toppings."

Interesting info also from the Washingtonian article:

Even after Shorty’s is up and running, Harper plans to keep working as a job instructor at the nonprofit DC Central Kitchen, where he helps unemployed, at-risk men and women find careers in the culinary arts. His two projects will merge once the new restaurant opens; he plans to employ the hardest-working alumni of the program at Shorty’s.

In response to Don's questions above, here's what I found. According to this Washingtonian article, Aaron Gordon is still an owner.

I don't know how many sausages will be made in house, but the article names Sausage Craft from Richmond and Binkert's from Baltimore as supplying some of them. The article says that "Harper will craft a variety of customizable toppings."

Interesting info also from the Washingtonian article:

[Hmmm ... New Name + New Owner = New Topic, even if it's in the same location. The problem is, we only have a Partial New Owner - not sure we've ever had this problem before. I assume Aaron Gordon is a majority owner, so I'm going to leave it as one topic, with the restaurant having been rebranded. For now, it sounds like Rock Harper is going to be contributing, but in a "Michel Richard" sort of way. Absent more information, one thread it will be; if I'm wrong, I can undo things later and split it up - I'm not convinced this is going to be an important restaurant. Then again, when I drove by the other night, Bronx Pizza Subs had a line out the door and down the sidewalk. It broke my heart, and I lost hope for the future of humanity.]

Then again, when I drove by the other night, Bronx Pizza Subs had a line out the door and down the sidewalk. It broke my heart, and I lost hope for the future of humanity.

Was it late at night? I've never seen them busy, let alone have a line out the door, during normal business hours.

On topic, this write up makes the bold claim "We’re the first sausage shop in the area."

Had dinner there. An incredibly mediocre experience. We both had the platter. A sausage without roll, two toppings two sides.

Such a mediocre sausage experience. german potato salad was tasty. Portions were small. Not the kind of place that would draw me back.

Neither sausage was distinguished or memorable

Had dinner there. An incredibly mediocre experience. . . . Neither sausage was distinguished or memorable

This mirrors my one experience, except I'd add that my bratwurst was overcooked and the sauerkraut I got was of the uncooked, straight from the bag variety, rather than the smoky, porky, slow-cooked variety you'd actually get in Germany (or to a lesser extent, down the street at Lyon Hall, which has excellent sausages). The staff was very nice, though.

How hard is it to craft decent mustard , onions and Kraut??? I think the current trend of Chefs lending their names to brands without actually cooking is kinda BS. Regardless of who they are or think they are. Get in the kitchen and actually cook or at least supervise. But at least be present Absentee Chefism is rampant but I'm sure there will be an award for it given out by some half assed publication or group