Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018), American Culinary TV Personality, Author, and Host of CNN's "Parts Unknown"

bnacpa

Wonder what other upscale places he'll be highlighting aside from Minibar? Swank hotel bar? Power lunch venues?

I'm hoping he strays from the normal media coverage routine, but in addition to Ben's I'm guessing:

Ethiopian

Eden Center maybe?

Salvadoran, maybe something from a taco truck (is there any other option for "street food"? He always seems to like hitting the street carts)

If Adams Morgan is on the schedule for this weekend I see jumbo slice in his future

Horace and Dickie's or Florida Ave Grill. Oohs and Aahs would be a good choice. H St or U St would be a good locations to show where the "two sides" of D.C. converge.

Here's a lead for Bourdain stalkers: Travel Channel HQ (Discovery Communications) is in downtown Silver Spring... :lol:

I think Tony should swing by Lot 8 at RFK tomorrow night and tailgate with La Barra Brava! ;)

Here's a lead for Bourdain stalkers: Travel Channel HQ (Discovery Communications) is in downtown Silver Spring... :lol:

I think Tony should swing by Lot 8 at RFK tomorrow night and tailgate with La Barra Brava! ;)

Yeah, but Tony avoids "the suits in Silver Spring," as he once referred to them on the Shangri-La segment of the Shanghai piece I think it was.

Funny how proximity to a celebrity allows you to see their true, "better" self. Especially if he's getting your place on national TV.

And, truth be told, Tony largely is a polite and engaging guy up close. Much more the affable guest of "No Reservations," than the drunken bastard of "Kitchen Confidential." I once watched two prominent members of the local food scene move from bitter bashing of the guy to, if not hero worship, at least happy camraderie with (with a dash of star-strucked-ness) in the space of about 30 seconds when Bourdain sat down to have a drink with us.

I watched the DC episode of No Reservations last night on Travel Channel On Demand. It was OK, but a lot of time was spent interviewing a retired CIA agent about things having absolutely nothing to do with food (and visiting the Spy Museum) which could have been better spent visiting actual restaurants. They did Minibar and a farmers market (with Jose Andres along); Eden Center for banh mi and an Ethiopian place in Falls Church for kitfo (both with Tim Carman along); DC Central Kitchen and the Waterfornt for some crabs; El Pollo Rico in Arlington (where Tony showed up unannounced and ate with two random customers). The episode began and ended at Ben's Chili Bowl, interwoven with an interview with George Pelecanos talking about how Ben's was a sort of DMZ during the '68 riots.

I just watched the DC episode, too. At first I thought that the CIA agent bit was too long and irrelevant, but I reminded myself that it's a travel show and not JUST a food show. I was ready to hate the stuff about Ben's, but it was done quite well, I think (even though every other DC travel show has covered that place). I loved the impromptu trip to El Pollo Rico! The stuff with Jose Andres was hilarious--that man is just a tad insane, but it is great to see a chef who doesn't take himself too seriously and who seems to really be having fun with the food. The DCCK bit was interesting, and the footage from Eden Center/Falls Church was too, but I kinda wanted to punch Tim Carman in the face. I mean, he sounded like he was lecturing Bourdain about eating ethnic food. Come on, this is a guy who ate warthog rectum in Namibia. I think he gets that you have to be openminded about other cultures and their traditions.

Looking forward to the new No Reservations season!

I watched the DC episode of No Reservations last night on Travel Channel On Demand. It was OK, but a lot of time was spent interviewing a retired CIA agent about things having absolutely nothing to do with food (and visiting the Spy Museum) which could have been better spent visiting actual restaurants. They did Minibar and a farmers market (with Jose Andres along); Eden Center for banh mi and an Ethiopian place in Falls Church for kitfo (both with Tim Carman along); DC Central Kitchen and the Waterfornt for some crabs; El Pollo Rico in Arlington (where Tony showed up unannounced and ate with two random customers). The episode began and ended at Ben's Chili Bowl, interwoven with an interview with George Pelecanos talking about how Ben's was a sort of DMZ during the '68 riots.

How are you all watching this episode? Has it been run on Travel Channel yet? I tivo each epi and can't find DC yet.

TiA

How are you all watching this episode? Has it been run on Travel Channel yet? I tivo each epi and can't find DC yet.

TiA

The key is "On Demand"...many network show episodes get uploaded to OnDemand in advance of their normal network air dates. Looks like the DC episode is scheduled to debut on Travel Channel on January 19th.

The key is "On Demand"...many network show episodes get uploaded to OnDemand in advance of their normal network air dates. Looks like the DC episode is scheduled to debut on Travel Channel on January 19th.

On Demand is on Channel 1 if you have Comcast. It took a while for me to find Travel Channel. It wasn't in the "Food" or "Lifestyle" category; I think I finally found it listed as one of the sub-menus under something like "News and Home".

Should I be scared that my 14-month old daughter prefers her copy of A Cook's Tour to just about everything else we own? (We had to give the book to her as she kept sneaking in our non-childproofed room to steal it.)

This could work in your favor: "Come on, honey, eat all your warthog rectum. You want to grow up big and strong like Tony Bourdain, don't you?"

On Comcast OnDemand, look under TV Entertainment -> Discovery Networks -> Travel Channel.

One month in advance does seem generous; Showtime OnDemand was uploading new Californication episodes about six days before the scheduled airing, both regular and HD.

I think synaesthesia is alluding to the fact that Bourdain is already well-known as a big fan of Vietnamese food culture, having eaten his way up and down the country, and has said on multiple occasions that soon he's going to move to a fishing village near Hoi An for a year. And then onward to his in-laws' town in Italy.

The footage of the tere sega cut from hanging chunks of cow at Abay Market was jaw-dropping. I guess I'd overlooked Carman's original post, but now I really need to check that place out.

At first I thought that the CIA agent bit was too long and irrelevant,

but I reminded myself that it's a travel show and not JUST a food show.

but I kinda wanted to punch Tim Carman in the face. I mean, he sounded like he was lecturing Bourdain about eating ethnic food.

Yes, no, yes. The part with the spy guy was a complete waste of 10 minutes, and Chadwicks? Really?

As a loyal fan of the show, I'd have to say the DC episode was clearly one of the worst ever. It seems like it was slapped together, without the usual creativity, just for the pre-inauguration Monday evening. And it had every trite symbol of DC in the book, such as:

-- Everyone who lives in DC is here for 4-8 years, depending on how long their political appointment!

-- DC has so many spies, oooohhh!

The admitted unplanned segment at the chicken place in Arlington was another sign that there was little thought put in.

Still love the show, but with the high expectations of a hometown episode, this was a real clunker.

As a loyal fan of the show, I'd have to say the DC episode was clearly one of the worst ever. It seems like it was slapped together, without the usual creativity, just for the pre-inauguration Monday evening. And it had every trite symbol of DC in the book, such as:

-- Everyone who lives in DC is here for 4-8 years, depending on how long their political appointment!

-- DC has so many spies, oooohhh!

The admitted unplanned segment at the chicken place in Arlington was another sign that there was little thought put in.

Still love the show, but with the high expectations of a hometown episode, this was a real clunker.

I agree. I was born in DC and lived here all my life and he did not even touch the real DC IMO. I like his show as well but I have noticed that he seems to be going a little soft these days.

Agreed that it the DC episode was disappointing. The larger than usual portion of social commentary and the choices of establishments was just not a satisfying balance (No Rays? No HK Palace?).

I did like the introductory sequence that showed him getting interrupted/drowned out by the facts of everyday life in DC, though (copters, jets, sirens, urchins).

The first half, with the exception of the opening bit, may have been the worst half hour of television Bourdain has ever created. What was with all that spy crap? I didn't think the Andres bit was as bad as it could have been considering they both have big egos. But while stopping at the Farmer's Market, how about plugging Fresh Farm? They are doing good stuff for local farmers. It's a little sad that the overly perky woman on the Travel Channel did a better job capturing DC than Bourdain did.

I'm going to start the theory that if you are from the city that appears on No Reservations then you are unhappy about the episode.

The DC people are complaining.

I'm off to Puerto rico in a couple weeks and I've noticed the PR people complain about the PR episode.

My sister-in-law is from S. Korea and she was mocking the Korean episode.

Just an observation... :P

I'm going to start the theory that if you are from the city that appears on No Reservations then you are unhappy about the episode.

I'm off to Puerto rico in a couple weeks and I've noticed the PR people complain about the PR episode.

Just an observation... :D

Seems that this would be the expected sentiment as locals always know how they could do it better. :P

The last segment of the show, focusing on Bo and the folks at the DC Central Kitchen, completely redeemed any perceived shortcomings of the episode up to that point, IMO.

It was another in a string of huge PR wins for DCCK lately, and I was glad that it showed as well as it did.

Just an observation... :P

That's a very good point. He and the producers are catering to a national, if not worldwide, audience. This is certainly much different than the local audience, who will put their episode under the microscope, knowing and looking for inaccuracies.

That said, I still think the DC episode did not have much creativity or interesting items in it as compared to other episodes. In fact, the show really has lost some of its edge from the first year or two. Back then, I'd say to myself "Did he really say that?" or laugh out loud from time-to-time. That does not seem to happen very much in the most recent episodes.

Maybe Fatherhood is softening Tony up.

There will always be people who think that a show doesn't cover the particular story that they think really makes their town interesting...but rarely are any two of them thinking of the same story. I thought the spy angle was a bit overdone, but in what other major city can you play the intrigue card? Personally, I think that just watching José Andrés go into his child-like hyperkinetic mode was worth the price of admission.

The show now carries a "real" production crew, and I think that the mere luxury of having production assistants has freed Bourdain from having to take a lot of risks himself, with the concomitant loss of some of that edginess. At the risk of name dropping, Gubeen and I had dinner some time ago with Bourdain's executive producer. The first season, they weren't really sure that the show would find an audience, and production was on a shoestring: the husband-and-wife producers themselves following Tony around with camera and mic, staying in the cheap digs while putting Tony up in something a little nicer. No advance team, just some ideas and a willingness to book some roundtrip tickets. Indie filmmaking at its finest.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

I think you see some of the "softening up" as a reflection of his increasing acceptance of other people in the US as a part of another culture. He mentions in the interview that he realized he should cut as much slack to his fellow Americans as he does to people half way around the world, because it isn't the same everywhere.

The other thing that he alluded to is the fact that the show was to some degree, personal. He's been here a number of times, and has done a lot with DCCK and visited Ben's many times. Because of that I think the spots visited weren't really advance team vetted, but more the places he stops when he comes to the city.

He could have made the Eden Center, Ethiopian and Pollo Rico highlights better by focusing a bit more on the owners and what it took to get them where they are. We saw that a little bit with the Ethiopian place. But like JoeHoya said, the end bit about DCCK redeemed the other stuff.

I am surprised that I have not seen this mentioned before.

Chewing the Fat: No Reservations' Anthony Bourdain (from DCist)

Seems that he is not really taken by Ms. Waters.

And another relevant post, from Mr. Bourdain himself on the Travel Channel website. This passage seems most interesting:

"I'm a pretty happy guy these days and in no hurry to live up to any reputation as a snarkologist. I don't see myself as being in the business of travelling around the world pissing on people who are just trying to be nice. I don't go to Iceland or Romania, for instance, looking to make fun of anybody. That's no way and no good motivation to travel. A happy and successful show for me (honestly) is one where everything goes right, where everything is delicious, everyone I meet engaging and everything I see, genuinely interesting to me."

http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel...e-sweet-science

I finally caught up on a few episodes of No Reservations on the Tivo and was especially interested by the Mar 08 "Obsessed" episode.

I'm surprised not to see any chatter on this board about Bourdain's take on food bloggers. I wouldn't say he belittled them - that's too strong a word - but he seemed befuddled that anyone would would take food so seriously. I also thought that he really played up the angle that food fills a social hole for the bloggers that he interviewed. All in all, not too complimentary a view. I wonder if he has the same opinion of people like us who visit a food board almost daily. Anyone else catch that episode? Comments?

I finally caught up on a few episodes of No Reservations on the Tivo and was especially interested by the Mar 08 "Obsessed" episode.

I'm surprised not to see any chatter on this board about Bourdain's take on food bloggers. I wouldn't say he belittled them - that's too strong a word - but he seemed befuddled that anyone would would take food so seriously. I also thought that he really played up the angle that food fills a social hole for the bloggers that he interviewed. All in all, not too complimentary a view. I wonder if he has the same opinion of people like us who visit a food board almost daily. Anyone else catch that episode? Comments?

I didn't see the episode, and have nothing against Tony Bourdain, but what you say here sounds extremely hypocritical on his part. Not only is he biting the hand that feeds him, but he also reminds me of a friend of mine - a fairly well-known person in the food world - who berates "foodies," and yet in reality, he is the definition of the term. Furthermore, this friend will rant about "those <pointing an accusing finger> members on your website" ... of which he is one! I just roll my eyes.

One of the guys can't eat a burger because he's obese and has elevated cholesterol. He got that way presumably because he's too lazy to work-out and overindulges. I find him repulsive. Another guy gets upset when his food wasn't as good as expected because he quit his highly paid job as a lawyer for Lehman Bros to write about food. I don't understand his logic. I don't find it strange that Bourdain makes fun of them, except for the fact he himself has high cholesterol and will likely drop dead of a heart attack soon.