Happy Veterans Day

B.A.R.

So I wanted to do something nice for active duty military and veterans in honor of Veteran's Day. At my hotel we decided we would give a five-night stay to an active duty military member, and two weekend stays to two (2)for eligible active duty military or veterans.

I also thought that I would just have people post their name and military affiliation on the hotels Facebook page. I did not want my inbox overflowing, and I thought it would be easy for people to find.

Big mistake. Virtually every non-profit veteran/military group thought it was a great idea, but would not pass the message along because it was on Facebook, therefore deemed an advertisiement. You don't even have to click the like button to enter.

So if any of you out there are a veteran, or active duty military, or even KNOW a veteran/active duty military and might want to sign them up, go to our Facebook Page.

Rocks, this was never meant to be self-promotion, so please indulge me a few hours before deletion. Thanks.

Rocks, this was never meant to be self-promotion, so please indulge me a few hours before deletion. Thanks.

No deletion, and I also want to say Thank You to our nation's veterans, especially our war veterans from (in alphabetical order) the Air Force, Army (like my dad), Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy.

The next time you see someone in uniform, go up to them and say, "I want to say thank you." No further explanation is needed, and they'll know exactly what you're talking about - and I bet they'll appreciate you saying it, too.

Cheers,
Rocks

Pound Coffee announced this morning on Facebook that they had accidentally ordered 200 gallons of super-premium milk, and offered a free gallon to any veteran or active servicemember who came in (they also offered 50% off any beverage). Then at noon, DC Central Kitchen came to pick up 125 gallons that they had no storage for, which will surely go to help feed the all-too-many veterans living on the streets. It's good to know that an enormous error like that can ultimately benefit so many, particularly those who given so much.

So, this Veterans' Day, I want to salute my dad, a WWiI vet who died 20 years ago today, Cheers, Cleo.

And also to my friend Frank, a Viet Nam vet with PTSD clinging to life in a Sioux Falls hospital. A pair of thugs with whom he had a disagreement in a small-town Iowa bar dragged him from his bed, savagely beat him, and left him for dead in his yard--a sad and horrifying reminder that war doesn't always end on the battlefield. Peace, Frank.

No deletion,

Thanks Rocks! We made the day a little special for a soldier in Afghanistan, a solder with the 101st at Ft. Cambell, a soldier and his wife expecting their first child, and a Vietnam and Grenada veteran. Sorry Betty Joan!

And thanks to my Dad, retired US Army, three tours of Vietnam and Southeast Asia, recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross, and soon to be recipient of new knees and hips- underscoring the fact that sometimes the casualties of war present themselves long after the fighting has stopped.

Thanks Rocks! We made the day a little special for a soldier in Afghanistan, a solder with the 101st at Ft. Cambell, a soldier and his wife expecting their first child, and a Vietnam and Grenada veteran. Sorry Betty Joan!

And thanks to my Dad, retired US Army, three tours of Vietnam and Southeast Asia, recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross, and soon to be recipient of new knees and hips- underscoring the fact that sometimes the casualties of war present themselves long after the fighting has stopped.

No apologies necessary - I am so thrilled for the winners. In my business (I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs), I see far too often how hard it is for veterans, servicemembers, and their families. I celebrate anyone willing to make things a little brighter for them. Thanks for what you did!

My veterans day winners are coming to town next week. If any restauranteurs want to offer them a special benefit PM me and I will send them your way. Not for PR, just for karma.

That being said, a big Thank You to Bobby Van's - extraordinary generosity.

"I had no idea that we had a large naval base at Rota in the Andalucian province of Cádiz, from which the Navy kept track of the Russian fleet in the Mediterranean. Suddenly, a Chief Petty Officer called my name, “Dawes, you lucky bastard, you are going to Rota, Spain.”

Gerry, Last time I was trawling for interesting stuff around Jerez I recall asking someone if there were ever red grapes in the region. The response was the the main vineyards were taken over by the US Naval base near Cadiz. And that several grapes were made extinct by that American colonization of Spain. Do you know anything about this?

Your departure from Rota suggests there is justice in the universe and hope for the future. It is ironic that, after the destruction of Rota's vineyards (if I have my story straight) and the bigger, more destructive colonization of Spanish regional wine styles by market demand for high spoofulated, identikit New World driven 'international' wine styles, you have probably done more to champion Spain's great wine traditions and helped preserve these from serious polution, if not outright extinction.

BTW, Thinking about Veterans Day your biography goes a long way toward celebrating how many, unsung American vets like yourself have gone about quietly repairing America's reputation abroad. There are many ways to serve one's country well and you've done more than your fair share.

Thank you, Paul White, for reminding me that without our Veterans, this website would not exist. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true. I could say this every day for the rest of my life, and it still wouldn't be enough to repay the debt owed by each one of us:

Thank you to all our veterans!

No deletion, and I also want to say Thank You to our nation's veterans, especially our war veterans from (in alphabetical order) the Air Force, Army (like my dad), Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy.

The next time you see someone in uniform, go up to them and say, "I want to say thank you." No further explanation is needed, and they'll know exactly what you're talking about - and I bet they'll appreciate you saying it, too.

Cheers,

Rocks

Along with thinking Veterans Day such an important day in recognizing sacrifice, patriotism, service and so many other important things, it always makes me also wish we had days as celebrated for other groups like:

- teachers

- artists

- first responders

- social workers

- real food producers

And so many others who struggle, strive and accomplish so much while helping others whether they do so in non-profits, government, religious organizations and, yes, even in restaurants.

Thanks to ALL of the veterans...of the military and of all the other organizations that exist to serve, help, fix and make things better, safer and more worthwhile for society.

• Like 1