thistle

Thanksgiving [s]2011[/s] [s]2012[/s] 2014!

85 posts in this topic

So how're things going for T'giving 2011? I'm going up to my SILs again, but they're going out of town, they're just letting us meet at their house (everyone lives up in Md, about 20 of us-I know my MIL wanted me to host, but I was ducking & weaving), Once again, I've only volunteered for dishes I want to eat, I'm smoking 2 12 lb turkeys (lots of vegetarians, & my MIL is bringing a ham)& everything I made last year-pickled shrimp, bean dip, spinach-Parmesan, & maybe, roasted cauliflower w/ pomegranate seeds & yogurt cheese. I totally dodged all the boring stuff like mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. The commissary at Ft. Belvoir was a zoo this morning, & I'm sure it will only get worse (I forgot a couple of things, but there was no doubling back). How is your Thanksgiving prep going?

While we're at it, could someone please remind me how much roux is required to thicken a certain amount of liquid into gravy?

While we're at it, could someone please remind me how much roux is required to thicken a certain amount of liquid into gravy?

I've always gone by 2 tablespoons of fat, 2 tablespoons of flour + 1 cup of liquid will give a cup of gravy.

I've always gone by 2 tablespoons of fat, 2 tablespoons of flour + 1 cup of liquid will give a cup of gravy.

Great tip. I always make sure to have some Wondra on hand, too, just in case.

That sounds about right. Thanks!

Picked up our gobblers this afternoon. From Jehovah-Jireh farm.

One for my mother.

One for my mother in law.

One for me, now in the freezer, and awaiting February, which is when I host Thanksgiving. Which gives everyone something to look forward to! And best of all, no competition for guests.

"If you can't beat 'em, reschedule 'em."

picked up my bird on Sunday and most of the rest of the feast fixings. Made up a cranberry fig pinot noir chutney from epicurious -- good, intense flavors, but it makes a lot. I'm going to have to put some by for future pork roasts, etc. Tempted to try my hand at a sweet potato ravioli for a starter, but I have a tendency to take on too many projects with not enough workspace, so tying up that much kitchen real estate making fresh pasta, probably not a good idea and I'll default to sweet potatoes whipped with chipotles and cream instead. And I have decided since there won't be table-carved bird, I'm going to break it into quarters and roast my dark & white meat separately, and breaking it down early will give me the backbone to make into stock to use in the dressing.

We were supposed to be going to my husband's cousin's in NJ, but I've been spending an enormous amount of time this past month dealing with family issues in PA, so we're staying put. I just can't do that drive again this week (after my last PA trip for a while tomorrow). I bought a turkey breast at Whole Foods and am using a Martha Stewart recipe I picked out 6 years ago for my husband to make when we had a similarly stressed November and stayed home. It came out great then.

Also planning an oyster-cornbread dressing, cranberry-orange relish and creamed pearl onions and peas. Menu subject to slight variation, but I'm not up to a lot.

This year MIL said she'd bring the turkey if I hosted. I'm ecstatic. I don't like turkey, and I've never been able to roast one to my satisfaction. She'll bring an overcooked butterball, but I don't care: everyone else will be happy and I don't have to deal with the damn thing. It frees me up to make the good stuff: stuffing with mushrooms and chestnuts, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, hashed Brussels sprouts. Normally I'd make biscuits, but I have a freezer full of croissants to use. And pumpkin pie. And apple pie for her, since she can't eat pumpkin pie. That gives us a 2:1 person to pie ratio, which means the day after I get to eat my favorite breakfast: leftover pie. Awesome.

Those of you with large-format grills: looks like the weather's going to be excellent Thursday. Brine and smoke that bird!

I've got two potluck meals, and, as a vegetarian, I always get asked to bring a veg side. (Then the pies will be store-bought. Ugh.) For the post Turkey Trot runners brunch I'm making a quinoa, chickpea, and spinach salad. For dinner, Leite's Culinaria had a nice recipe for baked asparagus parmesan. I'm going to give that a try this year.

Even though I like to cook, for Thanksgiving, I am only responsible for two things - 1) pick up the prime rib, and 2) bring the beer.

Sister and brother-in-law are coming in from San Francisco, and since BIL is a chef, I will pretty much get booted from the kitchen. Not sure how to feel about that - as a football fan, I should probably be elated.

We're doing prime rib, green beans, baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms for Thursday. Friday I believe Chef will be cooking a more traditional turkey/stuffing situation. Saturday we'll slurp my dad's clam chowder, and Sunday, Chef will be doing a high-end tasting menu for my parents' anniversary.

Even though I like to cook, for Thanksgiving, I am only responsible for two things - 1) pick up the prime rib, and 2) bring the beer.

Sister and brother-in-law are coming in from San Francisco, and since BIL is a chef, I will pretty much get booted from the kitchen. Not sure how to feel about that - as a football fan, I should probably be elated.

We're doing prime rib, green beans, baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms for Thursday. Friday I believe Chef will be cooking a more traditional turkey/stuffing situation. Saturday we'll slurp my dad's clam chowder, and Sunday, Chef will be doing a high-end tasting menu for my parents' anniversary.

Sounds like a glorious 4-day weekend.

We're heading to my cousin's house in Virginia Beach for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked (very specifically) to bring a DUTCH apple pie. Given my relatives' level of culinary sophistication and time constraints, I opted to order a Harvest Apple Crumb Pie from Food and Friends. Now I'm wondering if that will fit the bill for a DUTCH apple pie, which I know has a crumb topping - but that's about all I know. Anyone out there that can either reassure me that it's the same thing ? (or tell me that I need to hit the Safeway and pick up a Mrs. Smith's version in order to satisfy the request... :rolleyes: )

Azami and I unexpectedly ended up staying in town for the holiday. So, we're starting the eats with grilled peppered turkey and Brie on rye bread, along with bourbon Manhattans. Later, we're taking chipotle mashed sweet potatoes to a friend's group dinner, where we'll get pumpkin/chard lasagna, plus other goodies not known at the moment.

I think my turkeys were slightly under done, so after slicing off the breasts, I portioned off the carcasses to make stock- 1 is for pho, shallots, ginger, star anise, & the other 2 are- onion, celery, s&p, & shallots, porcini, celery, s&p. I added a shot of vinegar in each, & I also pulled off all the meat that was good for soup, cooked, but on the rare side. Lots of soup in my future...

Our T'giving was great- everyone brought food, we hung out for several hours (6 different pies & a cheesecake!), then we cleaned up & went home (I'm so grateful that my SIL let us use their house-her FIL is having some major health issues, & they traveled down to SC to be w/ him). Once again, I am thankful for both my immediate family, & my extended family of DR folks....i :)

I also picked up some mini baguettes from Family Bakery & Mrs. Donut, to make turkey sandwiches-awesome, w/ avocado slices, sriracha, & salami. I got an elephant ear pastry that was 2' wide, I sent that back w/ my SIL,my kids spent last night w/ their aunts/uncles/cousins, my daughter is spending another night up there. Most of the family is coming down tomorrow, I will have some kind of soup ready-does anyone have any exciting ideas? I have couscous, jasmine & black rice, veggies, & turkey- cheeses/salami/olives/veggies-carrot, celery,olives for apps...I'm also thinking about cumin- roasted cauliflower, w/ yogurt/feta cheese, & pomegranate seeds (didn't bring this for T'giving) ...