Thanksgiving

thistle

So how're things going for T'giving 2011? I'm going up to my SILs again, but they're going out of town, they're just letting us meet at their house (everyone lives up in Md, about 20 of us-I know my MIL wanted me to host, but I was ducking & weaving), Once again, I've only volunteered for dishes I want to eat, I'm smoking 2 12 lb turkeys (lots of vegetarians, & my MIL is bringing a ham)& everything I made last year-pickled shrimp, bean dip, spinach-Parmesan, & maybe, roasted cauliflower w/ pomegranate seeds & yogurt cheese. I totally dodged all the boring stuff like mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. The commissary at Ft. Belvoir was a zoo this morning, & I'm sure it will only get worse (I forgot a couple of things, but there was no doubling back). How is your Thanksgiving prep going?

picked up my bird on Sunday and most of the rest of the feast fixings. Made up a cranberry fig pinot noir chutney from epicurious -- good, intense flavors, but it makes a lot. I'm going to have to put some by for future pork roasts, etc. Tempted to try my hand at a sweet potato ravioli for a starter, but I have a tendency to take on too many projects with not enough workspace, so tying up that much kitchen real estate making fresh pasta, probably not a good idea and I'll default to sweet potatoes whipped with chipotles and cream instead. And I have decided since there won't be table-carved bird, I'm going to break it into quarters and roast my dark & white meat separately, and breaking it down early will give me the backbone to make into stock to use in the dressing.

We were supposed to be going to my husband's cousin's in NJ, but I've been spending an enormous amount of time this past month dealing with family issues in PA, so we're staying put. I just can't do that drive again this week (after my last PA trip for a while tomorrow). I bought a turkey breast at Whole Foods and am using a Martha Stewart recipe I picked out 6 years ago for my husband to make when we had a similarly stressed November and stayed home. It came out great then.

Also planning an oyster-cornbread dressing, cranberry-orange relish and creamed pearl onions and peas. Menu subject to slight variation, but I'm not up to a lot.

This year MIL said she'd bring the turkey if I hosted. I'm ecstatic. I don't like turkey, and I've never been able to roast one to my satisfaction. She'll bring an overcooked butterball, but I don't care: everyone else will be happy and I don't have to deal with the damn thing. It frees me up to make the good stuff: stuffing with mushrooms and chestnuts, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, hashed Brussels sprouts. Normally I'd make biscuits, but I have a freezer full of croissants to use. And pumpkin pie. And apple pie for her, since she can't eat pumpkin pie. That gives us a 2:1 person to pie ratio, which means the day after I get to eat my favorite breakfast: leftover pie. Awesome.

• Like 1

Even though I like to cook, for Thanksgiving, I am only responsible for two things - 1) pick up the prime rib, and 2) bring the beer.

Sister and brother-in-law are coming in from San Francisco, and since BIL is a chef, I will pretty much get booted from the kitchen. Not sure how to feel about that - as a football fan, I should probably be elated.

We're doing prime rib, green beans, baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms for Thursday. Friday I believe Chef will be cooking a more traditional turkey/stuffing situation. Saturday we'll slurp my dad's clam chowder, and Sunday, Chef will be doing a high-end tasting menu for my parents' anniversary.

Even though I like to cook, for Thanksgiving, I am only responsible for two things - 1) pick up the prime rib, and 2) bring the beer.

Sister and brother-in-law are coming in from San Francisco, and since BIL is a chef, I will pretty much get booted from the kitchen. Not sure how to feel about that - as a football fan, I should probably be elated.

We're doing prime rib, green beans, baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms for Thursday. Friday I believe Chef will be cooking a more traditional turkey/stuffing situation. Saturday we'll slurp my dad's clam chowder, and Sunday, Chef will be doing a high-end tasting menu for my parents' anniversary.

Sounds like a glorious 4-day weekend.

We're heading to my cousin's house in Virginia Beach for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been asked (very specifically) to bring a DUTCH apple pie. Given my relatives' level of culinary sophistication and time constraints, I opted to order a Harvest Apple Crumb Pie from Food and Friends. Now I'm wondering if that will fit the bill for a DUTCH apple pie, which I know has a crumb topping - but that's about all I know. Anyone out there that can either reassure me that it's the same thing ? (or tell me that I need to hit the Safeway and pick up a Mrs. Smith's version in order to satisfy the request... :rolleyes: )

Azami and I unexpectedly ended up staying in town for the holiday. So, we're starting the eats with grilled peppered turkey and Brie on rye bread, along with bourbon Manhattans. Later, we're taking chipotle mashed sweet potatoes to a friend's group dinner, where we'll get pumpkin/chard lasagna, plus other goodies not known at the moment.

I think my turkeys were slightly under done, so after slicing off the breasts, I portioned off the carcasses to make stock- 1 is for pho, shallots, ginger, star anise, & the other 2 are- onion, celery, s&p, & shallots, porcini, celery, s&p. I added a shot of vinegar in each, & I also pulled off all the meat that was good for soup, cooked, but on the rare side. Lots of soup in my future...

Our T'giving was great- everyone brought food, we hung out for several hours (6 different pies & a cheesecake!), then we cleaned up & went home (I'm so grateful that my SIL let us use their house-her FIL is having some major health issues, & they traveled down to SC to be w/ him). Once again, I am thankful for both my immediate family, & my extended family of DR folks....i :)

I also picked up some mini baguettes from Family Bakery & Mrs. Donut, to make turkey sandwiches-awesome, w/ avocado slices, sriracha, & salami. I got an elephant ear pastry that was 2' wide, I sent that back w/ my SIL,my kids spent last night w/ their aunts/uncles/cousins, my daughter is spending another night up there. Most of the family is coming down tomorrow, I will have some kind of soup ready-does anyone have any exciting ideas? I have couscous, jasmine & black rice, veggies, & turkey- cheeses/salami/olives/veggies-carrot, celery,olives for apps...I'm also thinking about cumin- roasted cauliflower, w/ yogurt/feta cheese, & pomegranate seeds (didn't bring this for T'giving) ...

I also picked up some mini baguettes from Family Bakery & Mrs. Donut, to make turkey sandwiches-awesome, w/ avocado slices, sriracha, & salami. I got an elephant ear pastry that was 2' wide, I sent that back w/ my SIL,my kids spent last night w/ their aunts/uncles/cousins, my daughter is spending another night up there. Most of the family is coming down tomorrow, I will have some kind of soup ready-does anyone have any exciting ideas? I have couscous, jasmine & black rice, veggies, & turkey- cheeses/salami/olives/veggies-carrot, celery,olives for apps...I'm also thinking about cumin- roasted cauliflower, w/ yogurt/feta cheese, & pomegranate seeds (didn't bring this for T'giving) ...

Did Miss Doughnut get married?!

And if so, it's very progressive of her to retain her maiden name (slightly less so would have been something like Helga Doughnut-Höll).

TG 2011 for 14 orphans

“New Frangland”

6341644159_e5721bf9ba.jpg

Roasted nuts and Mt. Pleasant pickles (sour Mexican gherkins, yellow wax beans). Mulled cider to be pumped.

6403913309_dc73e9cc06.jpg

Boston mackerel. Pickled in my red wine vinegar. Ruff & Ready salvaged cocktail forks.

6403897561_07d863080b.jpg

Smooth, leggy & blonde. Smoked turkey leg rillettes.

6415161641_9c3ba05dc8.jpg

Cooked in leaf lard. Absolutely delicious.

6403898949_4efc367f13.jpg

Gloucester navy bean chowder. Beans puréed with shellfish cooking liquid. A garnish of leek, bacon, shrimp, mussels, clams and salted cod.

6403902329_95975c71b8.jpg

Goldfish –acorn squash cornbread. Sea salt carousel: Persian blue, espelette, lavender, smoked, Guérande grey, Île de Ré.

6403903159_6ff56f9d02.jpg

Heritage turkey.

6390797007_00d5d066f8.jpg

Marla. Maple basted breasts.

6403906311_9660f4364c.jpg

Ballotine. Fresh & dried cranberries, button mushrooms, pistachios and a few chestnuts.

6403912469_2042758b22.jpg

Cauliflower à la Polonaise. Romanesco, yellow & purple cauliflower. Cinnamon queen hen eggs, béchamel, toasted bread crumbs and rosemary schmaltz.

6403899445_cc7ed0099e.jpg

Confit gizzards in saupiquet. Juniper scented turkey stock thickened by the liver.

6403911387_01ec42f50d.jpg

Pan coudoun. Candied quince baked in whole wheat bread.

6386899987_efe5263d70.jpg

Pumpkin and ricotta frangipane tart. Honey & ricotta ice cream. –courtesy of a pastry savvy friend.

6403911133_d2be9451ee.jpg

Heritage turkey.

6390797007_00d5d066f8.jpg

Marla. Maple basted breasts.

6403906311_9660f4364c.jpg

Ballotine. Fresh & dried cranberries, button mushrooms, pistachios and a few chestnuts.

6403912469_2042758b22.jpg

Cauliflower à la Polonaise. Romanesco, yellow & purple cauliflower. Cinnamon queen hen eggs, béchamel, toasted bread crumbs and rosemary schmaltz.

6403899445_cc7ed0099e.jpg

Confit gizzards in saupiquet. Juniper scented turkey stock thickened by the liver.

6403911387_01ec42f50d.jpg

Pan coudoun. Candied quince baked in whole wheat bread.

6386899987_efe5263d70.jpg

Pumpkin and ricotta frangipane tart. Honey & ricotta ice cream. –courtesy of a pastry savvy friend.

6403911133_d2be9451ee.jpg

WHOA. Incredible - thank you for sharing.

Thanksgiving

Four Brits

Two Canadians

One Korean

One Native-Born Yank

Broken down: 1 Vegan, 3 Vegetarians, 4 Omnivores.

Menu

Shrimp Dumplings

Veggie Dumplings

Kim Chi Jeon

Veggie Mung Bean Pancakes

Roasted Potatoes

Boiled Carrots, Parsnips, Brussel Sprouts (added to the menu for post-Thanksgiving Bubble n Squeak makings)

Mushroom Stuffing

Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Apples with Sage and topped with Vegan Marshmallows

Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Ginger

Mushroom Gravy

Smoked Pork Butt

Smoked Turkey Drum Stick

Pecan Pie

Vegan Chocolate Mousse

post-44-0-50752700-1322505030_thumb.jpeg

Smoked Pork Butt and Turkey

Post picnic/storm, guess it's time to think about Thanksgiving- Barbara, can I get your pumpkin cheesecake recipe? because if I only cook that, I'll have something I want to eat...If I think about Poivrot Farci's past menues, I will be too intimidated to continue (& I still have to cook something)....smaller family gathering this year, we'll see how it goes...

Post picnic/storm, guess it's time to think about Thanksgiving- Barbara, can I get your pumpkin cheesecake recipe? because if I only cook that, I'll have something I want to eat...If I think about Poivrot Farci's past menues, I will be too intimidated to continue (& I still have to cook something)....smaller family gathering this year, we'll see how it goes...

Here ya go:

http://www.epicuriou...m-Topping-13386

I'll save you the trouble of reading 300+ reviews and say that I doubled the spices, left out the cream (because I didn't have any) and tripled the bourbon. Also, I put a circle of buttered parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. I have decorated the top in several ways: the plain circle of toasted pecans this time; shaved white chocolate with a dusting of nutmeg; and, adding a caramel sauce with pecans dipped in it. Almost anything will work.

I am committed to smoked turkeys, bean dip (don't ask), pickled shrimp, & poundcakes/pumpkin cheesecake- other dishes to be determined. We're having a smaller group this year-12-16, as opposed to 20-22. Looking forward to a low key T'giving...

Speaking of low-key, we were looking for a low effort, small portion dessert option for Thanksgiving. Everyone will be too full right after the meal, and we will not be able to wait another hour or so for the final course.

We discovered the following recipe for a pumpkin eggnog milkshake. We test drove it last week, modifying to serve in tiny glasses (tall shot), and stirring in a half teaspoon of Virginia Lightning (other alcohol would work, too) in each adult's glass. We used a chopstick to stir carefully, which prevented the ingredients sloshing up onto the clean glass space, better presentation.

AMAZING. This nails the small portion, ease of prep, and wow flavor factor we were seeking. Without the alcohol, it's too rich for my palate, but with it, over the moon with the swoon.

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Speaking of low-key, we were looking for a low effort, small portion dessert option for Thanksgiving. Everyone will be too full right after the meal, and we will not be able to wait another hour or so for the final course.

Your dessert sounds delicious. My group solved the "too stuffed for dessert" problem by pie & coffee when everyone first arrives, and about 2 hours later having T-giving dinner after the bird comes out of the oven.

I can't believe I never thought of slow-roasting my turkey before!! It is certainly a life-saver in my case, as little man's school Thanksgiving holiday party was today, and I wasn't sure if any parent signed up to bring a turkey. Either way, I love Dawson's Market for carrying smaller turkeys (9.13lbs), and I love the flavor my Bell & Evans turkey ended up emitting.

I slow roasted a semi-brined turkey at 225 degrees F overnight, and out came a pretty good turkey for a no-fuss, letting me sleep method. My oven may have been a little on the hot side, as it was slightly dry for me, but boy, was I pretty happy when more than half of it was devoured at the party and little man, who professed he did not like turkeys, changed his mind after tasting the one I made (went for seconds!). ^_^

While watching the Atlantic crash to shore seven people, including three generations of hillvalleys, shall enjoy:

As many raw oysters and clams as we can shuck, usually about 125 oysters, 75 or so clams,

Homemade mignonette and cocktail sauce for those who need it

Wasabi Bloody Marys

Turkey Ribs

Turkey Legs

Roasted Turkey

Chestnut Puree

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Brussel Sprout Hash with Pancetta

Cranberry Orange Relish

Arugula, Mushroom, and Parmesan Salad

Wine

Assortment of cheeses including but not limited to Epoisse, Point Reyes, Aged Cheddar, Grayson, and Gouda

Laphriog

Oban

Apple Pie

Pecan Pie

Some Other Fancy Pie

Homemade Whipped Cream

Canned Chocolate Whipped Cream

Canned Regular Whipped Cream

Coffee/Tea/Milk/More Scotch

Whippets

That sounds like an excellent menu, something for everyone, but I have to confess I'd be happy w/ just the clams & oysters (although shrimp is my very favorite), cheese, & wine- & being near the water, of course. Are the whippets there to eat the food that anyone drops on the floor, or is this another kind of whippet?

We're dining with friends, and I was asked to bring an appetizer and a dessert. I'm leaning toward marinated olives (that I will need to start tonight) and homemade dark chocolate-covered caramels with various types of salts. I should probably also do a pie with a gf crust, now that I think about it.

I'm dining with my vegan girlfriend so the fine folks at Whole Foods are catering my Thanksgiving. Gardein roasts, farro stuffing, olive oil potatoes, green beans, Brussels sprouts, gravy, cranberry relish and a vegan pumpkin pie. Not too shabby.

Even better, she doesn't like the Brussels sprouts. Hooray for me!

Does anyone deep-fry turkey here, or are we too far north?

Too far north for what? Our Chief Building Engineer always fries turkeys on his patio for the annual Christmas party for the staff and residents of the apartment building. He usually fries three of them. (In a catalog one year, I found an apron that said "Real Men Fry Turkeys"--so you know what Santa gave him that year.)

I am brining a 9 lb turkey breast in apple jiuce, cranberrry juice, garlic and chilis. It will go in the smoker. Sides are sausage and apple dressing; artichoke and spinach casserole; roasted sweet potatoes; salad with romaine, pumpkin seeds, dried blueberries and blue cheese with a pomegranate dressing and cranberry sauce made with a blueberry pinot noir and rosemary. Sweetie is making a pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie today. There will be 4 of us and we will eat ourselves silly.

The turkey is fresh from Maple Lawn Farms brined with Alton Brown's brining recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

This is the first year that I am not stuffing the turkey so going to be careful not to overcook, I am going to pull the turkey from the oven when the breast hits 170 or the thigh hits 165 whichever happens first.

We ordered a heritage Bronze pasture raised turkey this year but unfortunately waited too late to get a reasonably sized bird, and wound up with a 25 pounder. Never even seen a turkey that big before, at least not raw and waiting to be cooked by me.

I was planning on spatchcockingthis year, but also eyeing Jacques Pepin's steamed turkey recipe in the New York Times. Now I am thinking I will cut the bird in half lengthwise, cook one half according to the spatchcocking recipe and on steamed and then roasted a la Jacques.

Or should I just steam-roast the whole thing?