Dining in New York City

Another great meal at franny's pizza in Brooklyn. The salumi appetizer is a bit dear at $16 for the portion size, but the meats are all cured in-house, and consist of slices of a robust coppa, a rich yet delicate soppressata, and a pancetta that melts in your mouth like it were pure lardo (but with more flavor). Personally, I found them to be amazing...the coppa and pancetta are as good as I've had.

The white pizza (bufala, ricotta, garlic, oregano) is very mild, lightly topped, and you really taste the quality of the crust. Unfortunately, it IS a mild pizza. The garlic is thinly shaved, not minced nor crushed, limiting the garlickyness of the pie. At the other end of the spectrum, the anchovy pizza (tomato, anchovies, olives, chilies, parmigiano reggiano) is a flavor explosion, with the saltiness of the streaks of anchovy balancing out the lipsmacking piquancy of the chili oils.

After dinner, franny's offers a good selection of distillati, but on the dessert menu the almond gelato, served with a sprinkling of crushed amarettini, really hit the spot. I wish I'd kept notes on which creamery our server said the dairy came from...I was almost sad to hear that the gelato was made in-house, because that eliminates any chance of my bringing some home.

The pumpkin gelato at Laboratorio del Gelato tastes so much like pumpkin it's kind of disconcerting. But it made a great match with the maple walnut.

Good lunch at Artisanal, though the place is louder than I thought possible at 3pm on a Saturday, and my English cheddar grilled cheese with bacon and apples tasted far more strongly of bacon than of cheese. Which is, of course, not a terrible thing, as it was really good bacon. Fondue was delish, especially with fingerling potatoes. Next time I think I'll try their $25 prix fixe lunch, which gets you a drink and two courses, or you can get a pairing of three cheeses and three wines for about the same price.

Dim sum at Golden Bridge. I'm enough of a dim sum novice that I can't say whether it holds up to the NYC dim sum standard, but four of us ate til we burst for $50 without a single disappointing dish. At 11 am it was still possible to get in with a 10-minute wait. Can't vouch for anything later. It is a big giant place and that seems to be a plus; dumplings were hot and carts were constantly circling.

I will be in NYC for 3 days immediately after Thanksgiving (one day to shop/play, two others for a conference).

I've been there numerous times but always want to try new things.

Where would you suggest as a good lunch place (sit-down, not deli) in or near Soho (where I plan to shop) and could anyone recommend at least two good dinner places, not too expensive (say under 75 bucks per person). (I'll be there for two nights).

The conference is near 54th St. and 6th Avenues so if there are lunch time gems... that info would be great too.

I'm not a huge seafood eater, though for fabulous sushi I'd check it out. But not my fave.

thank you so much!

I will be in NYC for 3 days immediately after Thanksgiving (one day to shop/play, two others for a conference).

I've been there numerous times but always want to try new things.

Where would you suggest as a good lunch place (sit-down, not deli) in or near Soho (where I plan to shop) and could anyone recommend at least two good dinner places, not too expensive (say under 75 bucks per person). (I'll be there for two nights).

The conference is near 54th St. and 6th Avenues so if there are lunch time gems... that info would be great too.

I'm not a huge seafood eater, though for fabulous sushi I'd check it out. But not my fave.

thank you so much!

For lunch in Soho, how about Barolo, on West Broadway, or Cafe Noir, which is just off Varick? Both are reliable spots, and not too pricey. Of course there's also Balthazar and Cipriani Downtown, although the food at the latter leaves much to be desired.

For dinner, you may be able to get to Town for $75/person, but under that you could do DB Brasserie I think, or maybe Provence (also near Soho). There are some other great ones further up this thread, but (excepting DB) I don't think these places have been mentioned yet.

A challenge:

My friend and her Swedish husband are going to nyc this weekend for his birthday - does anyone know of any Swedish restaurants or bars up there?

I'd love to find them a place where they can see/experience Swedish culture in ny. It doesn't have to be a place that serves Swedish food, maybe it's a place that's owned/operated by Swedes, or even just be a place that a lot of Swedes might be hanging out in. The location and price aren't as important as the atmosphere and the people.

Thanks!

A challenge:

My friend and her Swedish husband are going to nyc this weekend for his birthday - does anyone know of any Swedish restaurants or bars up there?

I'd love to find them a place where they can see/experience Swedish culture in ny. It doesn't have to be a place that serves Swedish food, maybe it's a place that's owned/operated by Swedes, or even just be a place that a lot of Swedes might be hanging out in. The location and price aren't as important as the atmosphere and the people.

Thanks!

Easy. Aquavit.

The food is pretty haute. As for the clientele, I'd say it's pretty bog-standard NYC fine-dining, not particularly more Swedish than any other joint. You might contact the Swedish UN mission to see if they know of any particularly Swedish hangouts.

Any recs for a good foodie destination on a smaller budget? I am headed up this weekend. (entrees in the 20-28 dollar range) Location and food type make no difference. But I am hopefully trying to find somewhere kind of cool and well um... "New yorkey" I guess. I went to Paladar LES last time I was there and loved it. So something with that same kind of price range and vibe, any neighborhood.

Craftbar is my sort of stock recommendation for that sort of thing. Lots of different format options, cool funky wine list and booze, easy location. 900 Broadway (19th & 20th).

Hahahaha, I just made a reservation for Saturday night before flipping over to this window. Thanks for the rec, any dishes or wine we should not miss?

Food-wise, this place is pretty consistent. Sweetbreads are great, pastas very good, raw stuff, charcuterie. Very, very solid.

Assuming that the wine list on the website is up-to-date (a big assumption for most restaurant websites), these are the wines that stand out, to my eye:

Whites:

Savennières, La Jalousie, Dom. Du Closel, 2004, Loire Valley $46

Riesling Kabinett, Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg, Karthäuserhof, 2005, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer $45

Riesling, Undhof Library Reserve, Salomon, 1991, Kremstal $71

Grüner Veltliner, Senftenberger Piri, Nigl, 2005, Kremstal $46

Reds:

Barbera, Oltrepò Pavese, I Gelsi, Monsupello, 2001, Lombardy $49

Saumur-Champigny, Dom. des Roches Neuves, 2005, Loire Valley $38

Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre/Cunoise, M5, Margerum, 2005, Santa Barbara County $68

Any recs for a good foodie destination on a smaller budget? I am headed up this weekend. (entrees in the 20-28 dollar range) Location and food type make no difference. But I am hopefully trying to find somewhere kind of cool and well um... "New yorkey" I guess.
Also for your consideration, The Spotted Pig over in the Village, and Savoy in SoHo. Both happen to be corner locations with a certain neighborhoody atmosphere appropriate to their respective addresses, the cooking is solid, and they like their beers. SP, being a gastropub, was especially delightful - if you have an adventurous palate and they happen to have any offal or unusual dishes on the specials menu, this is a rewarding place to take a chance.

I see that it was mentioned a while back, but I finally tried Blue Ribbon Sushi in soho. It was some of the best sushi I have ever had. we had a sashimi that was a white salmon - I can't remember the Japanese name. It was all that fish should be, it just melted in our mouth. While not cheap, it was pretty resonable for good sushi. We had two beer, a couple of apps (one was Gindara Saikyoyaki, broiled miso cured black cod, that was really good) and quite a bit of sushi/sashimi and I think it was a little over $100 for two.

Blue Ribbon Sushi

119 Sullivan Street (between Prince and Spring streets)

New York, NY 10012

I gotta put in a good word for the Spice Market. I just got back Tuesday night, I met a friend there on Sunday for lunch. wow! try the chicken samosas and definitely have one (or three) ginger margaritas...

sounds good. Is that the place in the meatpacking district?

Ditto on Scalini Fedeli. Just a great spot. Last time I was there, Roberto Donna was in the dining room as well.

Another spot on that list that most might not be familiar with is Etats-Unis. A great neighborhood spot on the UES that serves two great menus, on across the street at it's bar.

Scalini Fedeli has a new (opened about a year ago) restaurant called Piano Due http://www.pianoduenyc.com/site.htm Has anyone been there?

Also, for those who have raved about Per Se I HAD a reservation for six for late January. I just found out the prix fixe is now $250. Remembering how expensive the wine list was at the French Laundry I am assuming that wine will run at least $100 per bottle and all six of us drink. Some a lot! With wine (4 @100 + other drinks), tax (10% or so in NY) and tip that will total out about $2,500-2,600 for dinner. I just cancelled. I'll go back with my wife and invest $800 or so for the both of us. I have personal resistance to $250 prix fixe and over priced wine lists.

Maestro and Citronelle now seem like absolute bargains.

Although Gordon Ramsay At The London, the restaurant, may be booked solid for a while, it seems that reservations can be had more reasonably at The London Bar, Ramsay's 70-seat companion room which serves a small-plates menu.

The food menu is a 2-page affair of approximately 20 a la carte items ranging from $12 to $18 apiece. Four- and six-course prix fixe tasting menus (no options or substitutions) are also offered at $55 and $75. (The linked sample menus are close, but not identical, to the current menus.) The first page of items are nominally "lighter" than the courses than the second page. Portions sizes are on the precious side even for small plates; we both dined a la carte, and four courses plus dessert made for a light dinner.

I started with the white onion velouté: perhaps ten spoonfuls of a rich, frothy soup poured over a small mound of moist shredded duck topped by a single aromatic shaving of black truffle. Delicious...I just wish there had been more of it. A marinated beetroot "salad" was next, three maki-sized pieces composed of a tiny scoop of ricotta and small roast corn kernels, sandwiched between two thin slices of beetroot and dressed with a drizzle of the reduction. A little squish of the fork and down in one. Brilliantly simple, the intense corn flavor is a great combination with ricotta, with the beetroot contributes a nice crunchy texture base. It's just not obvious to me why this should be any more precious than say Jose Andres' endive salad.

Success was more variable with the heavier courses. The cockles were visibly obvious, but otherwise lost among the diced tomatoes and the dollop of paste-thick pesto saucing the fluke course. The pork belly was a single strip, very tender all the way through, but with no sear and not that much flavor depth. It was decorated with a thin strip of thoroughly crisp and tasty pork crackling though.

For dessert, the Valrhona chocolate fondant turned out to be a riff on individual volcano cake, served in the ramekin with the nutty almond ice cream on the side. The caramel layer lies at the bottom of the ramekin. Taken together with the ice cream, the flavors are reminiscent of Jason Andelman's salted caramel truffles, with the added bonus of the almond. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but the meal ended up on a minor anticlimax as the parting sweets turned out to be redundant flavors...salted chocolate confections and peanut brittle. One chocolate too far.

Gubeen selected an entirely different set of dishes, and I'll let her comment on those. Plusses for very careful attention to item temperatures - our dishes were presented at a range of temperatures appropriate to each dish, and even by-the-glass wines were presented correctly (if not in the "nice" glasses). Judging from the other patrons around us, at the moment The London Bar draws a lot of visiting Brits who are keen to take advantage of the exchange rate, while dining at a Ramsay establishment for a fraction of what it would cost in London, even at these high prices. (One beneficiary of this windfall would appear to be a sparkling wine producer from Kent.) On the whole, I found The London Bar to be an enjoyable experience but rather precious, and while some of the food was quite good, I didn't find any of the gustatory revelations I would have hoped for. Engh.

More pizza notes:

Lombardi's (32 Spring St., Nolita, Manhattan): resurrection of the oldest known pizzeria in the US. They do a brisk tourist trade at Lombardi's every night of the week, so the pies really get cranked out. Still, the crust is good, if not baked to the same darkness that the smaller shops manage. The winner here is the abundant tomato sauce - bright red, rich and deep with the flavor of San Marzano tomatoes.

(Patsy) Grimaldi's (DUMBO, Brooklyn): although opened in 1990, the space looks like it's been around a lot longer. Despite being stretched amazingly thin, the crust still puffs up a tad much in the coal-fired oven giving it a slighty breadyness, but the flavor is terrific, and it's one of the few crusts that tastes perfectly salted to me. Nice color and blister development too. Good but undistinguished sauce and cheese are perked up appreciably by very fresh basil.

I ate at Per Se in late september and the prix fixe was 210 (including tax & tip) but there are often supplements (30 for foie, 75 for steak etc) so its definitely possible to spend 250 or more on food. I think it was absolutely worth the money, easily the best restaurant I've eaten in. The only one that was offerred the night we went was the foie, which I thought was worth it. The wine service was wonderful and fairly priced I think.

On the Pizza front I think Grimaldi's is on the lower end of the famous brooklyn pizza parlours, far behind Totinno's & DiFara in my opinion. DiFara is by far my favorite, but it can take an inordinate amount of time to eat there. All the pizza is made by Don Demarco, and I've waited upwards of 90 mins for a pie. Its right off the subway (1 block from the Avenue J station on the Q) but it takes @ 3hrs to ride the train, wait, eat, ride back from my place in Brooklyn Heights (right by Grimaldi's). Totinno's is farther away but takes less time. Another place worth mentioning is Franny's, which is right of the 2,3. This isn't one of the old time Brooklyn parlours, more like 2'amys in approach. The pizza is very very good though, as are the gellato & the appetizers Ive had.

Although Gordon Ramsay At The London, the restaurant, may be booked solid for a while, it seems that reservations can be had more reasonably at The London Bar, Ramsay's 70-seat companion room which serves a small-plates menu.

The food menu is a 2-page affair of approximately 20 a la carte items ranging from $12 to $18 apiece. Four- and six-course prix fixe tasting menus (no options or substitutions) are also offered at $55 and $75. (The linked sample menus are close, but not identical, to the current menus.) The first page of items are nominally "lighter" than the courses than the second page. Portions sizes are on the precious side even for small plates; we both dined a la carte, and four courses plus dessert made for a light dinner.

I started with the white onion velouté: perhaps ten spoonfuls of a rich, frothy soup poured over a small mound of moist shredded duck topped by a single aromatic shaving of black truffle. Delicious...I just wish there had been more of it. A marinated beetroot "salad" was next, three maki-sized pieces composed of a tiny scoop of ricotta and small roast corn kernels, sandwiched between two thin slices of beetroot and dressed with a drizzle of the reduction. A little squish of the fork and down in one. Brilliantly simple, the intense corn flavor is a great combination with ricotta, with the beetroot contributes a nice crunchy texture base. It's just not obvious to me why this should be any more precious than say Jose Andres' endive salad.

Success was more variable with the heavier courses. The cockles were visibly obvious, but otherwise lost among the diced tomatoes and the dollop of paste-thick pesto saucing the fluke course. The pork belly was a single strip, very tender all the way through, but with no sear and not that much flavor depth. It was decorated with a thin strip of thoroughly crisp and tasty pork crackling though.

For dessert, the Valrhona chocolate fondant turned out to be a riff on individual volcano cake, served in the ramekin with the nutty almond ice cream on the side. The caramel layer lies at the bottom of the ramekin. Taken together with the ice cream, the flavors are reminiscent of Jason Andelman's salted caramel truffles, with the added bonus of the almond. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but the meal ended up on a minor anticlimax as the parting sweets turned out to be redundant flavors...salted chocolate confections and peanut brittle. One chocolate too far.

Gubeen selected an entirely different set of dishes, and I'll let her comment on those. Plusses for very careful attention to item temperatures - our dishes were presented at a range of temperatures appropriate to each dish, and even by-the-glass wines were presented correctly (if not in the "nice" glasses). Judging from the other patrons around us, at the moment The London Bar draws attracts a lot of visiting Brits who are keen to take advantage of the exchange rate while dining at a Ramsay establishment for a fraction of what it would cost in London, even at these high prices. (One beneficiary of this windfall would appear to be a sparkling wine producer from Kent.) On the whole, I found The London Bar to be an enjoyable experience but rather precious, and while some of the food was quite good, I didn't find any of the gustatory revelations I would have hoped for. Engh.

Thanks for the report! We'll be at Gordon Ramsay at the London tomorrow night, and will get a report up ASAP.

My mom and sister booked Christmas night reservations at English is Italian but just got a phone call telling them the restaurant is actually closed that day.

If restaurants aren't closed, they seem to be booked. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice dinner on Christmas day? They've been to E.isI. before and loved it - so that's their style, price range, etc.

Thanks.

ISO midtown (preferably near Grand Central) restaurant at which to entertain and impress two VIPs. Said VIPs will be coming in from CT for this dinner thus the location. They are both men in their late 30s who are used to throwing around $$ and value good (although not necessarily avant garde) food and good wine in a lively (not stuffy) setting. This time it will be me throwing around the cash to say thank you for their recent investment in one of my projects.

Within reason, money is not an object. No sushi. Help.

Go try Fatty Crab & Kytofu. I've not heard anything about Knife & Fork, but I've heard good things about Fatty Crab & Kytofu. Me personally, I go to the Malaysian restaurants in Chinatown and Flushing but that's my personal preference. While you're over there, try and stop by the Chelsea Market and visit Buon Italia for some great pastas, cheese and cured meats that are hard to find in D.C.

ISO midtown (preferably near Grand Central) restaurant at which to entertain and impress two VIPs. Said VIPs will be coming in from CT for this dinner thus the location. They are both men in their late 30s who are used to throwing around $$ and value good (although not necessarily avant garde) food and good wine in a lively (not stuffy) setting. This time it will be me throwing around the cash to say thank you for their recent investment in one of my projects.

Within reason, money is not an object. No sushi. Help.

There is an amazing place for cocktails in Grand Central, the Vanderbilt Apartment. It is very sophisticated and unique. I don't know if it will work for the kind of dinner you want to have, but I love the Oyster Bar in Grand Central.

I would also suggest L'Impero but I can't remember how far of a walk it was. It wasn't too bad and I did it last January during a relatively cold spell.

Atmosphere wise it reminded a bit of Gotham Bar and Grill but much smoother and quieter, if that makes sense. Very sleek lines, very grown-up place without being too trendy. Pitch perfect service.

Truly one of the best meals I had in 06.

Jennifer

There is an amazing place for cocktails in Grand Central, the Vanderbilt Apartment. It is very sophisticated and unique. I don't know if it will work for the kind of dinner you want to have, but I love the Oyster Bar in Grand Central.
This is the Campbell Apartment, which is on the Vanderbilt Avenue side of GCS. They have a relatively strict dress code, FYI.

This is the Campbell Apartment, which is on the Vanderbilt Avenue side of GCS. They have a relatively strict dress code, FYI.
Doh. Been there. Love it. Didn't notice a dress code but it makes sense because the space is stunning. We were all dressed nicely so...

This list of restaurants in the New York Times might come in handy for those who find themselves in Time Square: Unique eats in Time Square

I couldn't get through to Babbo to make reservations, so I asked my hotel's concierge to help. All they had available was 10:15pm. So onto plan B: It's between Po, Olives, English is Italian and Hearth. I'm so torn. There will be three of us girls in our mid/late 20's. Want to keep it under $75 incl tax & tip excl drinks. Open to tasting menus, but if a la carte, then we'd order 1-2 appetizers and 1-2 desserts to share. I can't seem to find much written up on Olives or English is Italian. Advice? Thanks!

Also, which is your favorite cupcake destination?

I couldn't get through to Babbo to make reservations

If you are keen on going to Babbo, you should be able to snatch a spot at the bar if you get there when the restaurant opens. Most of my visit have been w/o reservations.

So onto plan B: It's between Po, Olives, English is Italian and Hearth.

I would take Olives and English is Italian off your list. They are both Todd English's chain empire. I haven't been impressed with either one. If you are keen on trying Olives, there is one on 16 & K Street.

Po and Hearth are both good choices!

I love Po. About five years ago, I lived two doors up from the place so I probably dined there 3-4 times a month. Great little spot, fairly casual (or romantic if you're with the right person). In case you're going for the Batali link, just so you know, he divested himself years ago.

I haven't been to Hearth, but only have heard good things. US Airways mag this month makes mention of the funny, highly evocative descriptions on the wine list.

I would not recommend Olives.

I am a big fan of Hearth and you can do it in your price range if you are careful.

I love Billy's Bakery for cupcakes followed by Magnolia. I am staying around the corner from Buttercup Cafe and the cupcakes are good but the staff is attitude challenged. But I don't have to hop on the subway to get my sugar fix!

Jennifer

I am a big fan of Hearth and you can do it in your price range if you are careful.

I love Billy's Bakery for cupcakes followed by Magnolia. I am staying around the corner from Buttercup Cafe and the cupcakes are good but the staff is attitude challenged. But I don't have to hop on the subway to get my sugar fix!

Jennifer

Go to Crumbs http://www.crumbsbakeshop.com/

I did a cupcake tour of New York at the height of the craze. Nothing really blew me away at the time. Then last year I discovered Crumbs. Oh. I am on exile from New York because of Crumbs. I am not to be trusted in the store.

P.S. the tray of cupcakes are great to take to clients!

I have to be honest: those cupcakes don't look good to me at all! I prefer the simplicity (and yes, sweetness) of Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes. This is probably why I'm not too interested in that new doughnut place in DC.

I have to be honest: those cupcakes don't look good to me at all! I prefer the simplicity (and yes, sweetness) of Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes. This is probably why I'm not too interested in that new doughnut place in DC.
I can see your point. The cupcake I like is their take on the hostess cupcake. I did rather enjoy the one with peanut butter cups; it lasted me three days. :lol: