Dining in New York City

Has anyone been to any of the MOMA restos yet?  I'll be in NYC with my mother and daughter next month, and want to go.  I understand the Modern is too fine dining for a 6 year old, but the cafe might work out.

I've only been to the Modern dining room, but the cafe looked like a good choice and I remember seeing plenty of children in that area.

Has anyone been to any of the MOMA restos yet?  I'll be in NYC with my mother and daughter next month, and want to go.  I understand the Modern is too fine dining for a 6 year old, but the cafe might work out.

I'd think the Bar Room part of the Modern would work pretty well, as opposed to the cafe upstairs in the museum. It's not significantly more fine-diningish than, say, Zaytinya, and it's small-plates style as well. Sample menu is here, and you can book via OpenTable (which I'd suggest doing - there was quite a wait for actual tables at lunchtime as opposed to seats at the bar.)

I really enjoyed the cafe when there for lunch in November. It can be a little bit of a wait if you go at primetime (like 15 or so), but time is spent in a line looking at the menu posted on the wall. We had a nice meal of fennel/white bean soup, a prosciutto panini, and beet salad with fresh ricotta. There were many other delish sounding items as well - pastas, a lamb shank special, good looking charcuterie, cheeses, etc. Good wines to go with.

I did not like the Modern. The cafe would be fine. I'd go for tea or late afternoon snack and not a meal.

On another note, the cafe looked fine BUT what kids young and old really like is the cafeteria at the Met. It is AMAZING and fun. Plus, I like the Met more than the MoMA and so would your 6 year old.

Sounds like a great trip.

A few thoughts from our Christmas trip to NYC....

Enjoyed the bagels at Ess-a-Bagel (almost) every day for breakfast/brunch - 3rd Ave. btwn 50th and 51st. Great selection of smoked fish and great people-watching as well.

Korean lunch at Han Bat on W. 35th btwn 5th and 6th - half a block from Macy's at Herald Square. Bustling and cozy (and open 24 hrs). I'm not very familiar with Korean cuisine, but I ordered (and really liked) the Gobdol Bibimbab. A great medley of ingredients - vegetables (mung bean sprouts, zucchini, cabbage, etc.) with marinated beef over rice. Topped with a raw egg that cooked right up in the really really HOT pot that it was served in. +1 ordered the Sukuh Chi Gae - a spicy seafood soup of sorts, loaded with crab, octopus, cod, monkfish, clams, and a big prawn. Kind of the Korean version of the Lobster Bouillabaise I had at...

Pigalle - 8th Ave at 48th St. - homey French bistro fare. Menu reminded me a bit of Le Refuge in Alexandria, though the setting was more Brasserie than Cafe. This is part of a chain that includes French Roast and Marseille. Very reasonable prices for being a block from Times Square. The +1 ordered lamb sirloin and said it was some of the best he'd had in a long time. Service from the kitchen was a bit forgetful - had to ask for the rouille to go with my Bouillabaise and the dessert we ordered ws supposed to include pistachios, which were nowhere to be found until I asked about them. Easy and pleasant dining - not haute cuisine by any stretch, but an enjoyable meal.

In Soho, we tried Peasant and sat at the bar. Cooking with fire.... in wood/charcoal stoves. We started with some very nice roasted sardines - a little on the big (thus, bony) side but with great clean flavor of the fish and the oil, lemon, and garlic they were cooked with (perfect for dabbing up with the crusty bread). We also shared the bocconcini - mozzarella balls wrapped in pancetta and cooked in the oven to perfect gooey consistency.

For mains I ordered the lamb with polenta. Very nicely cooked to medium rare, though maybe a bit closer to rare, causing the meat to cool much too quickly for my taste. The polenta was firm and cheesy, but another victim of the cold meat, as it also congealed/cooled a bit too much/too fast. +1 ordered stuffed quail - 2 little guys filled with a fig and chestnut stuffing. I thought the bite or two that I had were quite good - the meat tasty and the stuffing a nice combination of flavors, accompanied by perfectly roasted chard and a mystery vegetable :o . We had gone there on someone else's recommendation - they said the cooking reminded them of Restaurant Eve.... I don't think I'd go that far, but it is a place where it is obvious that the flavors of the food are the focus and the simplicity of the cooking style emphasizes this.

About drinks at bars - I just have to say: I LOVE the free nibbles that seemed to appear at every bar we went to - why don't they do that here in DC?? Among others, we went to:

Old King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel - alleged birthplace of the Bloody Mary nee Red Snapper and home of the fantastic Maxfield Parrish mural of Old King Cole - nibbles of mixed nuts (no peanuts B) ), wasabi peas, and pretzel twists. Very swank and dark, worth the trip just for the painting.

The Living Room at W Times Square- far too much attitude from the (unattentive) bartendress for my taste. She mixed a good Key Lime Martini, but was so easily distracted by conversations with other staff that it took a good 5 minutes for her to concoct it. Nice setting but doesn't deserve a detour. Pretzel goldfish were disappointing (especially since the looked like almonds from a distance :) )

Peasant served up some very nice black olives and breadsticks at the bar, though their list of wines by the glass was on the short side (maybe 4 reds?).

Yep, another DR member who spent Christmas (or just before it, anyway) in NYC. Due to the transit strike, we couldn't easily get to a lot of the places we wanted to try, but a few highlights:

Amy's Bread - Hell's Kitchen

We actually ended up here as a second choice, because we'd originally been trying to hit Soup Kitchen International - which was closed for renos. Grargh! Anyway, I'm glad I was able to talk the +1 into heading here.

We actually ended up at AB a couple of times, once for lunch and then later in the trip on a desserts run. The sandwiches were excellent, on breads that were sufficiently assertive to be tasted with the other ingredients and stood up well to grilling. This meal also led us to another purveyor of the yum: Hale and Hearty Soups, who provides said substances for AB.

Two of the more unusual items we sampled: sourdough chocolate twists (chocolate croissants are for the weak! :o ), and lime cornbread cookies. The latter precipitated our second visit - at which we sampled their layer cake as well.

Not to drag mention of His Sugar Rushness into another thread, but I will note that the composition of the cakes at Amy's Bread were quite similar to what Cakelove avers are its ingredients... only Amy's didn't feel the need to put theirs in the deep freeze. Perhaps we're talking an order of magnitude's difference in the expected turnover of product?

The cakes were very moist and thoroughly flavorful - as a basis for comparison, I'd estimate the crumb was about half again as dense as that of Baked & Wired's. I'd say the red velvet cake itself was the best I've ever had, although I prefer a buttercream frosting that's a bit less BUTTERcream (if you take my meaning).

No sooner did we finish our cakes and pick up some of the aforementioned lime cornbread cookies to take back with us to the QT than we smelled this absolutely evil ginger aroma wafting towards us as we headed out - at which point the +1 spun on his heels and headed directly back indoors where we picked up some freshly baked ginger snaps.

Hale and Hearty Soups

We hit the Rockefeller Center location for lunch before seeing the matinee of Spamalot. They had a few dozen varieties available - I had the Chunky Potato Leek, and the +1 had a Chicken and Tomato with Orzo soup. Both were exemplary. I wish we had more places like this around here, as I love soup and can't seem to get a decent bowl to save my life (with the definite exception of SBC Cafe).

Otto

Christmas Eve lunch was here. We had the Cauliflower Alla Siciliana, Brussels Sprouts and Vin Cotto, Penne con Noci e Zucca, Pepperoni pizza, and a selection of their gelato. If you go, you must definitely try the Hazelnut Stracciatella and Chocolate-Chili flavors, which were truly transporting.

And I actually managed to get the +1 to eat brussels sprouts! Hah!

Our server was tremendously helpful and engaging, and the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. I could definitely see hanging out there a lot if I lived in Manhattan. Locally, I'd say that Matchbox might start to pick up that vibe after its expansion, although I don't know that they'll ever have quite that broad a selection of wines.

Ack, I almost forgot the Mocha Hot Chocolate... whoa nelly. When they mention it's served with a coffee crema, they mean a giant helping of coffee whipped cream. :)

Edited by Principia

Back to NY for more meetings, work, etc. :)

But...at least I get to eat well.

On tap this trip:

L'Imperio

Babbo

Hearth

I will make it to Pegu Club for a drink.

I'm going to walk to Magnolia and have a cupcake.

And if I cross my fingers and toes, I might wangle a trip to the Chip Shop in Park Slope.

Jennifer

good choice; as chef scott conant seems to be a real rising star in the nyc culinary scene; now that the big guys are spreading themselves too thin.

had a memorable meal at l'impero a couple of weeks ago during the transit strike, but have been on the road and things are a bit of a blur. baby goat and pastas were outstanding. we leaned towards the meats, but the fish side of the menu appears just as strong, if not more so. the cooking style starts out rustic, and wanders into dense complexities without becoming bogged down in them. the restaurant was offering a seven-course seven fishes meal throughout christmas week, which we would have tried if we had the extra time. it looked incredible. the service is polished, and so is the ceiling, which has an ethereal effect in the large mirror at the end of the room. the four-course $62 menu was an absolute bargain, all of the courses winners, but not sure the smidgen of lobster, though excellent, was worth the supplement. tab for two, with a medium-priced bottle of wine from an extensive list and two drinks: about $280, but that can be pared down by about $80 by sticking to glasses of wine. there was not one off note in the two hours of our visit. this is a welcoming place with a menu worth delving into and it is probably the one reason we will be returning to new york sooner than we would have otherwise.

I did not like the Modern.    The cafe would be fine.  I'd go for tea or late afternoon snack and not a meal. 

On another note, the cafe looked fine BUT what kids young and old really like is the cafeteria at the Met.  It is AMAZING and fun.  Plus, I like the Met more than the MoMA and so would your 6 year old.

Thanks for the tip. We will be at the Met of Saturday, so I was thinking of something for Sunday. My kid isn't your typical 6-year-old eater, so I'm not too worried about pleasing her. I just don't want to get "the Look" for bringing a child into the wrong place.

I wish I had thought to make reservations at Babbo. She would really like it.

Hi Jennifer,

Have you been to Hearth before? I'm heading up to NYC this Friday and have a 7:30 reservation there, so any suggestions are welcome! The menu looks great, and I'm looking forward to the apple cider doughnuts if they're anything like the Greenmarket's.

Thanks!

Amy

I went last year. Get any of the ice creams--the burnt sugar was amazing. Beyond that, I had a terrible cold and don't remember much of what I had. My reservation is for Thursday night so I'll try to post any MUST haves when I get back to the hotel.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Have you been to Hearth before? I'm heading up to NYC this Friday and have a 7:30 reservation there, so any suggestions are welcome! The menu looks great, and I'm looking forward to the apple cider doughnuts if they're anything like the Greenmarket's.

Thanks!

Amy

Call and tell them you want to sit at 'the pass'. You'll practically be sitting in the kitchen, and the chef will take your order and provide recommendations.

Call and tell them you want to sit at 'the pass'.    You'll practically be sitting in the kitchen, and the chef will take your order and provide recommendations.

Thanks Jennifer and Chris! It's my brother's birthday, so it would be wonderful if they could accommodate the request. Worth a shot.

Amy

Lunch yesterday: La Villa (261 Fifth Ave (at 1st St), Brooklyn) Neapolitan DoC pizza, although I don't see them listed on the Verace Pizza Napoletana site. Most pizzas made with house-made fior-di-latte, although Italian mozzarella di bufala is available as an option. I had an excellent margherita with the bufala ($11); thin uniform and crisp crust, lightly topped and savory. At first glance it looked a bit "puddly", but this turned out to be deliciously viscous olive oil. Lunch special (until 3pm) adds a side soup or salad for free. Portions are generous; be careful not to wolf down the basket containing rolls and focaccia.

Dinner yesterday; Park Slope Chip Shop / Curry Shop (383 Fifth Ave (at 5th St), Brooklyn) Having stuffed myself earlier, I kept to an order of cod & chips, with an Irn-Bru to drink. Great great fish...one thick chunk of fresh cod, battered and fried to just-flaky, the best fish-and-chips fish I've had in the US. The batter could have been a bit thinner, and was a bit more eggy-yellow than seemed usual, but it was crisp outside and non-greasy. Chips were pretty good, although not nearly as good as Pommes Frites. Malt vinegar is on the tables, but you'll have to ask them for brown sauce. Other fish-and-chips choices include haddock and plaice, which I've never seen outside of England. There's also a menu of authentic-looking pub fare, and a menu of British curry shop items. Alas the on-draft beer selection was brief and ordinary; it could have really used a good cask ale or two considering the Brooklyn location.

On a non-food note, look across the street and you'll see the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co. (372 Fifth Ave), storefront for the 826NYC children's reading project operated by those eccentrics at McSweeney's. Brilliant!

Edited by ol_ironstomach

I am heading to New York in February I am only going to have a one dinner and one lunch (we have to go to a party on our second night).  I have reservations at WD-50 for dinner, and Bouley for lunch.  Anyone been to either and have opinions?

I don't know anything about WD-50 but I can tell you that you will love Bouley and lunch there seems to be quite a bit cheaper than dinner. Four of us lunched there the day after Christmas last year. Their menu features, in addition to a la carte, 2 prix fixe options. One is $38 (3 courses), the other $48 (4 courses), as I remember. I ordered the $48 and was informed by the waiter that they had run out of one of the main course items (we had a 2:00 reservation) but would substitute a pork loin. I asked if there were any other options for that course and he immediately offered the rack of lamb, which was more expensive as an al a carte item than the other items on the prix fixe. That impressed me. All the food was superb, as was the service (constantly bringing more bread over and asking if you cared for another roll, etc.); the only negative was that they forgot to bring the wine list and I had to ask for it. Of course, there were amuse bouches to start with and extras following dessert, including truffles and small pastries.

Bouley has two rooms. One is "country French" in feel (we ate in it) and the other is quite a bit more dramatic (deep red walls) and romantic in feel. You might want to give them a preference if atmosphere is important.

My final comment about Bouley concerns the friendliness and cordiality of the "front desk". When we were leaving, they gave us "tea cakes" to take home. These were delicious.

This restaurant offers grand dining at a fair price; in addition, it is hospitable and makes its guests feel welcome. Even when food is fantastic, hospitality is often lacking in many first rate establishments, in my opinion. What a difference that makes!

You can look forward to something special at Bouley. I hope to be back there soon myself.

I am heading to New York in February I am only going to have a one dinner and one lunch (we have to go to a party on our second night).  I have reservations at WD-50 for dinner, and Bouley for lunch.  Anyone been to either and have opinions?

Steve, you're investing your calories wisely!

L'Imperio was my lunch choice on Wednesday. I had missed an earlier flight and was a bit rushed when I got into the city. I checked into my hotel, hailed a cab and within 10 minutes was transported.

The dining room is typical NY--reminds me of Gotham Bar and Grill quite a bit. Very straightforward and business like.

I had the mushrooms and polenta, the duck and foie gras agnolati, sliced beef with roasted veggies and concluded with the chocolate carmel mousse.

This was an amazing meal.

How amazing?

I had to put my very good book down to fully enjoy the experience.

The mushroom polenta was transendental. The kind of thing where I wished I knew someone who didn't like mushrooms so I could introduce them to this dish.

The duck-foie gras agnolati was very good--it was just a touch too sweet to be perfect.

The beef was perfectly cooked, tender and flavorful.

The chocolate carmel mousse was the weakest point of the meal and it was darn tasty.

All for $48. It has to be the best deal in NY. This was paired with a single glass of perfect wine (which I didn't write down...)

The weather was nice so I walked back up to my hotel, reflecting on how glad I am for this community because I never would have gone to L'Imperio if it hadn't been mentioned here.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Based on my first meal at wd~50, I'd say it was unmissable. Based on my last visit (May '05), I'd say skip it. Had the tasting menu and everything came out like it was off an assembly line. The server brought paired wines halfway through courses, the runners dropped off plates with no explanations, and there wasn't anyone working there who seemed interested in what was going on. Secondary ingredients in dishes far overpowered primary ingredients, temperatures were off, and a few of the dishes were just flavorless. The menu's a great read, but the food and experience don't live up to it. Maybe it was an off night, but I don't believe in off nights at $200/person.

I really enjoyed the cafe when there for lunch in November.

Thanks again for the tip, we had lunch there yesterday. We split a respectable salami plate and a cheese plate. We sat right in front of the case where they assemple all of the cold plates and Emma enjoyed watching them.She was entranced by MoMA in general - it's a gorgeous space and very child friendly.

Lunch Saturday was at our hotel's restaraunt, the Hudson Hotel Cafeteria. I would not go again, or stay there again. Nothing wrong, the food and the rooms are tiny but nice. But it is the most preciously overdesigned pile of steaming you-know-what I have ever encountered - even for New York. From the website:

Inspired in equal parts by an Ivy League dining hall, eat-in kitchen and 1940s automat, the Hudson Cafeteria is a soaring and dramatic, yet warm and intimate space with oversized communal wood tables and benches, whimsical stained glass windows, and enormous working cupboards stocked, pantry style, with the kitchen’s dishes, cups, and utensils. Under the direction of renowned restaurateur Jeffrey Chodorow, the acclaimed menu features comfort food served with a modern twist.

Emma liked the chairs in the cafeteria. :)

Dinner on Saturday was forgettable Italian, and dinner yesterday was carryout from the Carnegie Deli, eaten on the train home. :o

OT I know, but the Acela train is fab and well worth the extra $$.

Edited by Heather

So, my company is sending me on a 4 month rotation in NYC. They'll be putting me up in Manhattan and I'm looking to this group for recommendations of the "best of". I've read this thread and will definitely try out a number of the suggestions here. Sampling the city's restaurants is probably going to be my primary activity (well, maybe I'll go to work now and then).

I'm looking for recommendations in a number of areas. Dive restaurants, pizza, sushi, martinis (yes, I consider them a type of food), upscale, italian, desserts, etc. Plus, I'm planning on making cupcakes a daily "must have".

I'm headed out in mid-February. If any Rockwellians make it to the city while I'm up there, I'd love to meet you and grab a bite. I've yet to make it to any of our gatherings here but am anxious to make up for it!

Thanks in advance for your culinary wisdom... :)

So, my company is sending me on a 4 month rotation in NYC.  They'll be putting me up in Manhattan and I'm looking to this group for recommendations of the "best of".  I've read this thread and will definitely try out a number of the suggestions here.  Sampling the city's restaurants is probably going to be my primary activity (well, maybe I'll go to work now and then).

I'm looking for recommendations in a number of areas.  Dive restaurants, pizza, sushi, martinis (yes, I consider them a type of food), upscale, italian, desserts, etc.  Plus, I'm planning on making cupcakes a daily "must have".

I'm headed out in mid-February.  If any Rockwellians make it to the city while I'm up there, I'd love to meet you and grab a bite.  I've yet to make it to any of our gatherings here but am anxious to make up for it!

Thanks in advance for your culinary wisdom... :)

Wow...what a treat to spend four months eating your way across NYC. We are envious. Check out the January 9th issue of New York Magazine, which had its annual "top 101" list. Here is a link: http://nymetro.com/restaurants/wheretoeat/2006/

Among our "best of" for excellent dining in Manhattan are:

Babbo

Lupa

Gotham Bar and Grill

Cafe Boulud

Annisa

Etats Unis

Town

Grammercy Tavern

Daniel

Montrachet

Union Square Cafe

Payard Patisserie

I'd be hard-pressed to rank these, but if you can only choose a few, our "must experience" list would be Babbo, Lupa, Gotham, Daniel; but you can't go wrong with any of these tried-and-true restaurants. Of course, there are hundred more to experience!

d.b.a. for geeky drinking, including a zillion whiskeys and hand-pulled beer.

Otto for mid-afternoon Italian wine geeking and gelato. Don't go during peak hours.

Front room at Gramercy Tavern for sleek but comfortable food and the main room's boffo wine list and cheese board.

Peter Luger. Go at lunch, you won't need a reservation and you'll have more time to digest. Better yet, go to Luger, then to Otto for a much-needed grappa education.

On the less formal side, Otto and the Spotted Pig are both worth a visit (and the Spotted Pig pours a lovely pint of real ale). Artisanal is worth going to just for the cheese samples, but the stuff on the menu is good too.

Further uptown, you have to hit Barney Greengrass for breakfast at least once while you're there - not only is it good food, it's a cultural experience. The Modern has good bar food, if you can get a seat.

In the Theatre District, Esca's good for fish, and Angus McIndoe serves good comfort food and pours a mean pint of stout. Sardi's should be tried at least once, if only so you can look at the walls, but the caesar salad has fantastic garlic-bomb croutons. Pigalle (mentioned upthread) is a solid bet for breakfast/brunch/late night. We tend to prefer Stage Deli to Carnegie Deli (elbow room between tables and better pickles), but if you haven't tried both you should.

For cheap eats, it's hard to beat $2.75 for 2 dogs and a drink at Gray's Papaya. Le Pain Quotidien does reliable coffee and croissants, and they're all over the city.

For fine dining, a hearty second to the Babbo recommendation - it's just that good.

I enjoyed a really excellent meal at Blue Ribbon, on Sullivan Street in SoHo, this past weekend. It's a small, casual spot that has earned a reputation as a late-night dining spot for cooks from other restaurants (the Blue Ribbon kitchen is open 'til 4AM). It does not take reservations for groups of 4 or fewer, so be prepared to eat late, eat early, or wait.

We ate early on Saturday, and had no wait for a table at 6:30. Had we arrived a half-hour later, we would have encountered a much more crowded place. A small bar can entertain the waiting, though.

A bone marrow "marmalade" appetizer is one of the house's well-known dishes. Served on toast with a kind of ragout (can't recall exactly what), it was milder than I thought, and likened by my friend to a creamy beef stew.

The most remarkable thing about Blue Ribbon is the length and breadth of the menu. For a place with such excellent food, the menu is incredibly diverse: oysters; paella; comfort foods like burgers, fried chicken, and catfish; stand-bys like rack of lamb and roast chicken; more adventurous items like the aforementioned marrow, and sweetbreads. I had the catfish, served with good but unremarkable mashed potatoes and really remarkable collard greens -- crisp and not at all soggy. The catfish was very good; the striped bass also ordered at our table was very good; but the rack of lamb ordered by my remaining co-diner was my favorite. Super-tender and melt-in-your-mouth.

We didn't have the time or stomach for dessert, but the options were predominantly simple classics.

Service was excellent. The wine list was long, but my friend took the helm and I didn't analyze it. We had a Gigondas.

Blue Ribbon was exactly what I look for in a restaurant: Top-notch food, without stuffiness or pretension. It was friendly without being cavalier, cozy without being trite.

Sadly I can't send you to one of my old favorite dives. Ye Olde Tripple Inn (midtown) is closing if it hasn't already closed. :) I believe Tune Inn met a similar fate, however Corner Bistro in the Village is still open. Burgers and beer - ah, yes!

Final part of my NY meal postings:

Dinner at Babbo:

Jake's friend had the night off!!! I passed on greetings through the hostess...

I liked Babbo but I didn't love it. I don't know that I can explain exactly why except that I've had Italian meals I've enjoyed more elsewhere. Noodle Pudding for example.

We started with the Three Goat Cheese Truffles with Peperonata. Nice but the cheese was quite cold and didn't seem to have a fully developed flavor.

I had the Goose Liver Ravioli with Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Butter--nice but the sauce was way too sweet.

My friend had the Beef Cheek Ravioli with Crushed Squab Liver and Black Truffles--let's just say I didn't get to have a taste so I think she liked it.

We split the Spicy Two-Minute Calamari Sicilian Lifeguard Style as our entree. The squid was cooked perfectly but I thought it was too spicy. (I'm a wimp and we had asked how spicy it was and our server said it wasn't too spicy. Right...)

No dessert--we hiked over to Sixth Avenue and peaked into one of the new cream puff places but I thought it smelled funny--rancid oil, anyone? So we continued our walk over to Magnolia where I scored cupcakes for breakfast the next morning and split a slice (hunk) of chocolate cake with caramel frosting. Yum but serious icing to cake ratio problems. Just as well--we didn't stopped eating once we ran out of frosting.

Saturday lunch was a stop at the Chip Shop in Park Slope. I had the fish sandwhich without the chips. It's the best fried fish I've had in ages--the only place I think that compares to it is Boomers in Stratford, Ontario.

My friend had the ploughman's lunch and had a hunk of stilton that was bigger than her fist. She was in heaven.

And the calories I saved by skipping the chips were consummed with the deep friend trinkies. I was totally harassed about ordering it since I'm usually totally anti-trans fats and preservatives. But hey, once every 18 months I have a deep-fried Twinkie. If it kills me, what a way to go!

Sette in Park Slope is getting raves from my friends--next trip!

Jennifer

I'm looking for recommendations in a number of areas.  Dive restaurants, pizza, sushi, martinis (yes, I consider them a type of food), upscale, italian, desserts, etc.

Piccolo Angolo. Italian. Hudson and Jane. Perhaps 12 tables? Reasonably priced. Drink the house wine. Make your reservation soon if you're looking for February.

Una Pizza Napoletana.

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2005/10/ne..._napoletana.php

Arguably the hottest, most interesting and delicious source for pizza in New York. I'd say pizzaria but this would be an insult. Let's say this is a serious challenger to Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven. Unfortunately because of it's popularity it may be as difficult to get a pie there as to get into Per Se. Still, well worth the effort.

---------------------

For those who are not familiar with the above website (www.sliceny.com) it is outstanding and totally engrossing if you are into pizza. Or get hungry looking at photos of it. Or reading about it.

Edited by Joe H

I still think Totonno's up on the east side is pretty darn good pizza because it isn't a perfect pie. Its a lighter less doughy crust.

then shoot over to JG melons for a nightcap.

Absolutely agree with JG Melon. Skip the over hyped Corner Bistro and head directly to JG Melon for burgers and bloody bulls. Totonno's is good as well - and it's only 6 blocks away.

Totonno's is in Coney Island.

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004/01/totonno_pizzeri.php

I still much prefer the New Haven pies.

Actually, they have several locations, The Coney Island Location, the one on 80th and 2nd, and another in the 40s on 2nd. I should know, I grew up a few blocks from the 80th and 2nd locale.

New Haven pies vs. Totonno's is another matter.

Well....you're right. In name Totonno's now has three more outposts but it is only the original on Neptune Avenue in Coney Island that they promote as the "oldest continuously operating family owned pizzaria in the United States." It has a coal oven-I would be shocked if any of the other three which advertise "brick ovens" use coal. While I could be wrong I believe there has not been a coal oven approved for use anywhere in the United States in decades. It's the Neptune Avenue location that is the one to go to. I would argue that with an oven with 82 years of "seasoning" along with coal burning IN the oven with the pie that pizza there tastes different (crust) than at the other three. I would also make the same argument for Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and their two outposts in Hoboken and Phoenix. I first tasted Totonno's in the early 1960's; my guess is that it still tastes identical. (There is also a "bread" oven several doors down the street from Totonno's identical to the "pizza" oven that Pepe's has on Wooster street in New Haven.) This is really a whole separate thread since there are many who believe that the original Patsy's in Harlem is better than even the separately owned Brooklyn location.

www.totonnos.com

Edited by Joe H

I like Una Pizza Napoletana very much, and agree that they make the best authentic pie in NYC, but it is horribly overpriced IMO. In my most recent visits, we've been going to No. 28 (on Carmine between Bleecker and Bedford). It's probably about 90% as good as Una Pizza, but a significantly better value.

Corner Bistro gets hype, yes, but I still like it.  Plus, I don't know that J.G. Melon justifies a trek to the Upper East Side.  I used to live nearby, but otherwise, I can't see myself making the trip.

I think some of it boils down to where you live in the city. Growing up, I wouldn't make the trip all the way down to CB, but Melon's was an easy walk. Also, Melon's has less of a hectic component to it, especially on weekends. If the OP wants a more touristy type route, then by all means do the White Horse Tavern - CB route. Edited by Keithstg

For some of us, Corner Bistro was a neighborhood haunt.  We were welcoming to visitors, including those you refer to as "bridge and tunnel" types.

Fair enough, that was a bit harsh. I'd argue that while I personally find the burgers to be better at Melon's overall, it also struck me as much more of a neighborhood haunt than did CB. YMMV. Is it worth the trip all the way to the UES? I don't know, but it certainly worked in the context of a UES trip including Tottono's.

Either way, both belong among the notable burgers to be had in NYC.

A couple of bargains to report after a whirlwind weekend in NYC. It is my habit to indulge in a fancy meal whenever my +1 and I travel, but this time we dialed it down, and were rewarded with excellent dining experiences.

Saturday night we had dinner at Tia Pol, on Tenth Ave at 23rd. It's a tiny place, and there was already a half-hour wait when we got there at 6:30, and you can't skip the wait by eating at the bar, as the list for a table includes the bar option. But there was a nice brick wall to lean on, and a lovely combination of tempting smells, appropriate music, and nice cold sangria to get a person through. So we waited.

We were rewarded with a seat at the end of the bar and a meal that included deviled eggs, patatas bravas, fried coins of chorizo, lamb skewers, sliced chorizo on baguette with chocolate, and paquetes of ham, artichoke, and cheese. All delicious, and filling, and brought us in under $40 with tax and tip, not counting that $7 glass of sangria.

Afterward we strolled back toward our hotel and capped off the evening with a cupcake from, you guessed it, Magnolia Bakery. Damn. I don't know how long the line was before the SNL rap came out, but it took us probably half an hour to get in there and get our cupcakes. One chocolate cupcake with white frosting and one yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting. If I had to pick I'd probably take the yellow, it was moist and the frosting had a great cocoa flavor. $3 for 2 cupcakes.

Sunday, after a brief stop by Murray's Cheese on Bleeker St. just for me to gawk at the selection, we wandered through the thick of Lunar New Year madness in Chinatown in an attempt to get to Dim Sum. Crowds in the streets, confetti everywhere, firecrackers. Then it started raining. And there was a drumming demonstration right outside Dim Sum Go Go, where we'd planned to try. The wait was way too long. So we turned around and fought our way back out again, and just kept walking north until we were somewhere we could breathe.

I looked up. Congee Village.

Score.

A short wait and we were seated. The menu is long but the dim sum section is short, so we ordered a number of dim sum selections and then turned our attention to other options. We should have stopped with the dim sum: minced pork buns, juicy buns, veggie dumplings, sweet pancake, scallion pancake. More than enough food for two. Off the main menu, the walnut shrimp (at $16!!) were too mayonnaise-y and lukewarm, while the Chinese greens tasted primarily of burnt garlic. Another meal under $40 for two, but when we totaled things up and realized we could have had everything but the shrimp and greens for $11 (not per person, total!) we wished we'd stopped earlier.

So, for the bargain diner in NYC, Congee Village is a somewhat qualified recommendation, and Tia Pol is a flat-out go go go.

Oh, and we needed sandwiches for our flight home, so we grabbed them at Petite Abeille on West 18th. Their waffles are supposed to be superfantastic, and only $5, so we'll try those next time. Good sandwiches and a nice menu of homey selections, carbonnade and the like. I think the other locations may have a more extensive menu.

Afterward we strolled back toward our hotel and capped off the evening with a cupcake from, you guessed it, Magnolia Bakery. Damn. I don't know how long the line was before the SNL rap came out, but it took us probably half an hour to get in there and get our cupcakes. One chocolate cupcake with white frosting and one yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting. If I had to pick I'd probably take the yellow, it was moist and the frosting had a great cocoa flavor. $3 for 2 cupcakes.

If you were at 10th and 23rd you weren't far from Billy's Bakery which is at 9th Avenue between 21st and 22nd. Cleaner than Magnolia, a tad less dry and much less crowded.

Jennifer

On the cheap front, I love Gan Mee Oak on 32 street (by 5th I think)  in Seoul Alley.  Incredible Seoul Long Tang- beef shin soup.  You get a bowl for $7.00 with the best Kim Chee and pickled turnip I've ever had.  You add salt and green onion to the broth and dip some Kim Chee into it to add heat.  Its so good! 

I am glad you had a good experience at Gam Mee Oak.

However, you can enjoy the same quality of beef soup at Gom Ba Woo around DC Metro area (Annandale).

Maybe Kimchee is not as same as Gam Mee Oak's but pickled turnip is good.

Good eating in NY over the weekend. Friday night we were at the cozy/little bit funky Red Cat in Chelsea - split a salad and an excellent steak tartare with quail egg appetizers, then trout topped with crispy spaetzle/mushrooms/peas and artic char with sweet sausage peronata and dijon sauce. With a bottle of wine (on the low end price-wise) I think it wasn't too far off about $100 for 2.

On Saturday we went to AOCin the Village for a French bistro meal. Very nice entrecote and excellent frites (thin, crispy, salty - yum!). Looks like a great place to visit in nice weather with their garden seating and is in a great neighborhood. For 3 people the total was approx. $125 with 2 appetizers, 3 mains and a basic bottle of cotes du rhone.

Dessert was Billy's Bakery banana cake - think I'm going to have to try to recreate this at home. Unfortunately didn't get to Myers of Keswick for the famed pasties this time around - had a great bagel brunch at Murray's Bagels in Chelsea instead.

I had a lunch at Nice Matin in upper westside.

They serve southern french style food.

Service became dull when the place was packed but food is fine (according to NYT, ** out of ****).

I would like to recommend this place if you want to have warm and southern european atmosphere.

my wife and i are coming up for a quick weekend from the DC area.

a little background. i am a professional cook at a nice restaurant in washington, dc. and i love food. my wife also loves dining out. we havent done much fine dining out in nyc, since we havent been there in awhile.

looking for some suggestions from you guys/gals.

looking for one nice meal out ($200/person max) one cheaper meal out (like lupa or prune) and one place we just cant miss (bagels or pizza or the momofuku dumpling place, my wife is a sucker for dumplings).

some places i had in mind were ouest, grammercy tavern, wd-50, lupa, etc.)

thanks in advance.

jonathan

looking for one nice meal out ($200/person max) one cheaper meal out (like lupa or prune) and one place we just cant miss (bagels or pizza or the momofuku dumpling place, my wife is a sucker for dumplings).

For the nice meal, the two places I've been that I'd heartily recommend are Babbo and the dining room at The Modern. Two very different experiences and styles of cooking, but both are memorable.

some places i had in mind were ouest, grammercy tavern, wd-50, lupa, etc.)

Not my personal experience, but a good friend did not enjoy wd-50 the other week...she mentioned that things were a little too wacky to be truly enjoyed, like some sort of hotdog-shaped foie gras concoction that oozed beet juice when cut into. Don't know if others have experience to the contrary here...