Majestic Bar & Grille, in the old Gaffney's Space in Bethesda - Chef Damon Hersh comes from Louisiana (Baltimore) - Closed

I wonder if the Armstrongs are consulting their ... lawyer.

As a former trademark attorney, that was the first thing that came to mind after reading (assuming, based on lack of announcement from the Armstrongs) that this venture was not theirs. While we are ruffling feathers, what about the Majestic Bar at Evening Star Cafe?

Saw this sign in the old Gaffney's space in Bethesda...anyone have any info?

I wonder if the Armstrongs are consulting their interior designer...or their lawyer.

As a former trademark attorney, that was the first thing that came to mind after reading (assuming, based on lack of announcement from the Armstrongs) that this venture was not theirs. While we are ruffling feathers, what about the Majestic Bar at Evening Star Cafe?

Considering the dearth of quality dining in Bethesda, we'll take anything.

These four posts, coupled with nothing I can easily find on the Internet, make me take the posture that this is all speculation until another poster (or news source) comes up with some stronger evidence.

Can anyone else find anything credible?

The Majestic Lounge (Evening Star) was in use well before the Majestic Cafe.

Sat outside for dinner last week. I wish I could remember anything remarkable about the food, but I can't.

Let's see. Not a bad selection of beers on tap, although my particular server had nary a clue about most of them. Think we had a soggy, flabby "flatbread margarita" (in the shadow of Haven, no less), a passable Bison burger with utterly inedible french fries (salty, pasty columns), and a really pedestrian spinach salad. Calamari was workable. Oxtail wontons ... very interesting. Good flavor in the slightly coarse, watery filling, but the wrapper is a little doughy. It's served with a curious collection of three dipping sauces, of which only the soy is worth having. (There's a mustard sauce and something else - sorry I can't remember.)

Potatoes are the canary-in-a-coal-mine. I have a love affair with starches, even shitty-prepared ones. But when I can't eat it, your yellow bird is dead. I mean, Monty Python-dead. And you have a looming quality problem.

There's a patio in the back, which gets nice afternoon sun. To me, this would seem to be a blatant misuse of the term "gastropub". Which they prefer to hyphenate, so maybe that's something else entirely.

Met a buddy here last night for a couple beers. They have happy hour that runs from 4-7:30, with $1.50 off draft beers and a bunch of $5 apps. Pretty nice draft beer selection, maybe 8-10 different beers. We should have stopped there.

Decided to try a couple apps and nothing was worth going back for anytime soon:

Nachos - tried to order but they were out of nacho chips (really?)

Chili - dried out like it had been made days ago

Calamari - huge serving of breading and not much calamari to be found anywhere

Oxtail Wontons - decent but very greasy.

Place was practically empty the entire time we were there. Good place to grab a beer and watch a game at the bar (they have about 5 tv's in the bar). They also have a little outdoor area in the back with its own bar, but it is only open on Friday/Saturday night.

Service was friendly at the bar and he even removed two of the apps from the bill when he saw we only ate a small part of each.

I don't see this place surviving for long.

Happened to be back in the area last night at Haven and parked in the back lot. The outdoor patio bar was packed with people and apparently open, contrary to what I was told the night before about it only being open on weekends. Looked like mostly drinks being served - perfect night to sit outside and have a drink.

Given their square footage and the price of Bethesa real estate, I don't think they can survive on alcohol alone. That said, there are a few establishments in Bethesda known more for drinking and less for food (e.g., barking dog; tommy joe's; union jack's; steamers) that manage to survive so maybe they have a chance. My bet, though, is that they are gone in a year.