dr.com 龍年 Table at 100 Degree Chinese Cuisine-Sun., 1/22 at 6PM

Ilaine

2012 is not just the Year of the Dragon, it is the Year of the Yang Water Dragon. The cycle takes 60 years to go full circle. Each year is named after one sign of the Chinese Zodiac, as well as one element, wood, fire, earth, metal and water, as well as yin and yang.

I was born in the last Year of the Yang Water Dragon, 1952, but in August, so I did not get to celebrate the New Year and would like to do it right this time.

When do we do what? And where can we go to celebrate?

So far I know that 100 Degrees Centrigrade is having a special dinner January 22, 2012. Reservations are recommended.

The Chinatown parade in DC's Chinatown is January 29, 2012.

http://www.washingto...ZEZP_story.html

A friend of mine in Hong Kong wrote me this:

hello ilaine, i must plead partial ignorance re chinese new year 'Traditions' (capitalized). i have never and do not know anyone who practices the full set of too many to-do's over the thankfully very long holiday period.

i do know some (admitted very few) of the more practical but traditional acts by direct experience, and they (modernized by me) are (the specific days are ostensibly important, but not to me as that would require memory i cannot spare):

(i) cleaning the house (not just dusting, but perhaps just imo, clear away all that accumulated in the house but is otherwise senseless, i.e. kids toys outgrown but holding no particular sentimental value, etc). modernized should incl the automobile and whatever else one may 'reside in' on daily basis, i.e. office, and the computer

(ii) fix n mend everything incl clothing, and say, that side view mirror's servo motor

(iii) protect n store, i.e. new book covers, knick knacks not covered in above (i), and filing, both personal and business - accounts, records, etc

(iv) pay off all short term debt and iou's before festivities (tradition doesn't dictate the collection of debt / iou as the debtor is supposed to take the initiative, else a bad debtor)

(v) promote staff before onset of festivities, handout bonuses, and generally bestow good news (and hold off on the bad news)

(vi) settle disputes, arguments, family hassles, parental-kids debates, whatever

(vii) reach agreements on starting of new projects n initiatives

(viii) visit family / relationship seniors, and the more important of the biz counter-parties. hand out 'little red packets' of new / crisp cash to unmarried family n relationship juniors

(ix) receive visits from family / relationship juniors, and more important of biz counter-parties. receive 'little red packets' on behalf of one's little kids from their family seniors (make sure taking the kids to visit grand parents, uncles, aunts, as many as possible :0)

(x) rest.

I have to say, the general goal there seems to be getting closure, paring away useless things, and preparing oneself to meet new challenges. I like that a lot better than the "resolution" concept that seems so popular in the US.

A friend of mine in Hong Kong wrote me this:

hello ilaine, i must plead partial ignorance re chinese new year 'Traditions' (capitalized). i have never and do not know anyone who practices the full set of too many to-do's over the thankfully very long holiday period.

i do know some (admitted very few) of the more practical but traditional acts by direct experience, and they (modernized by me) are (the specific days are ostensibly important, but not to me as that would require memory i cannot spare):

(i) cleaning the house (not just dusting, but perhaps just imo, clear away all that accumulated in the house but is otherwise senseless, i.e. kids toys outgrown but holding no particular sentimental value, etc). modernized should incl the automobile and whatever else one may 'reside in' on daily basis, i.e. office, and the computer

(ii) fix n mend everything incl clothing, and say, that side view mirror's servo motor

(iii) protect n store, i.e. new book covers, knick knacks not covered in above (i), and filing, both personal and business - accounts, records, etc

(iv) pay off all short term debt and iou's before festivities (tradition doesn't dictate the collection of debt / iou as the debtor is supposed to take the initiative, else a bad debtor)

(v) promote staff before onset of festivities, handout bonuses, and generally bestow good news (and hold off on the bad news)

(vi) settle disputes, arguments, family hassles, parental-kids debates, whatever

(vii) reach agreements on starting of new projects n initiatives

(viii) visit family / relationship seniors, and the more important of the biz counter-parties. hand out 'little red packets' of new / crisp cash to unmarried family n relationship juniors

(ix) receive visits from family / relationship juniors, and more important of biz counter-parties. receive 'little red packets' on behalf of one's little kids from their family seniors (make sure taking the kids to visit grand parents, uncles, aunts, as many as possible :0)

(x) rest.

Hi Ilaine.

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming big birthday.

Your friend covered all the big ones. The visiting ritual is based on closeness of relationship. i.e. First day of new year, you visit with elders and extended paternal side family. Second day, a married lady might visit her own family. Then comes visits with more distant relations and friends. The more senior person in the relationship is the one who receives the visit, e.g. I would go visit my aunt, not the other way round.

There are also certain lucky foods, depending on the region. In Cantonese speaking families, it is common to have dried oysters cooked with black moss (fat choy). The characters sound the same as the characters for good things and fortune. It is also auspicious to have whole fish because the character for fish sounds the same as surplus (as in money).

Also, during the holiday, you wear new clothes and lots of red.

Happy New Year.

Deb

I saw a listing in the Post food section yesterday for a Chinese New Year Banquet (Jan 27) at Hollywood East Cafe, w/ lion dancers (lesdamesdc.org)

I am all for celebrating bdays early & often-happy bday in advance! I also like the advice about visiting w/ friends & family. As for the rest of it-argh, sounds like cleaning to me! My solution to that Sisyphean task, is after a day of sloth, watch an episode of 'Hoarders' & race around allday, cleaning like a ninja, inspired by abject fear....

The proprietor of 100 Degree Chinese in Fairfax, Ming, sent me the menu for his Chinese New Year celebration:

春節合家團圓特別菜單—特價和菜

Chinese Happy New Year Special Menu

合家團圓—綜合拼盤—夫妻肺片—雞絲拉皮,涼拌海蜇,

Combination of Appetizers 落地丁香

薑葱龍蝦—Lobster W/Ginger & Scallions

剁椒全魚或清蒸龍利魚—Steamed Whole Fish

湘味烤鴨—Roasted Duck Hunan Style

熇大蝦—Jumbo Shrimps in Chef’s Special Sauce

水果牛—Steak W/Fresh Fruits

招牌肘子—Pork Joint in Brown Sauce

蟹肉豆苗—Snow Pea Tips W/Crabmeat

紅扒羊肋條—Mutton Chops in Brown Sauce

鮑魚燴海參—Sea Cucumber W/Abalone

海鮮羹—Seafood Combination Soup

甜酒湯圓—Sweet Rice Ball Soup

什錦水果—Assorted Fruits

$ 300.00/桌

I'm not too sure how many a "table" (桌 if my Japanese kanji knowledge is to be trusted) represents, but it's a tempting menu I must say. Taste sensations abound! I can even recognize fuqi feipian as one of the appetizers.

The New Year menu for 100 Degree Chinese can be found at this post in the forum. It's a celebratory menu if there was one!

I wonder how many people are in a "table"? The menu looks like something my husband and I would enjoy but the kids don't really like seafood. One won't eat seafood at all, and the other one will eat sushi but will walk out if a whole fish is served head-on.

Maybe a Don Rockwell outing?

I wonder how many people are in a "table"? The menu looks like something my husband and I would enjoy but the kids don't really like seafood. One won't eat seafood at all, and the other one will eat sushi but will walk out if a whole fish is served head-on.

Maybe a Don Rockwell outing?

I'd be more than happy to call and see if I can arrange this (or Matt, maybe you could contact the proprietor?)

I'd be more than happy to call and see if I can arrange this (or Matt, maybe you could contact the proprietor?)

We just had an excellent dinner there, and queried Mr. Ming about the New Year's Dinner. He suggested that a good number of people for one table is at least six, up to ten. Eight to ten per table is optimum. When we informed him that we did not have enough family here for a table he said it does not need to be a family, can be friends. He also said that the dinner would be available for the next week or two. Reservations suggested. He speaks very good English, I would ask for him.

If we do it, put me in for two.

If we get a lot of interest maybe two tables?

Matt, do you know the owner? If not, I'll be happy to contact them and see how many people we could get - I suspect we're talking 8 people at this price. I don't remember how many round tables with lazy susans they had (I remember sitting against a wall at a rectangular one), but the round table is the way to go for an event such as this.

Matt, do you know the owner? If not, I'll be happy to contact them and see how many people we could get - I suspect we're talking 8 people at this price. I don't remember how many round tables with lazy susans they had (I remember sitting against a wall at a rectangular one), but the round table is the way to go for an event such as this.

Don, no, I don't know him. I just emailed him (using the address on the Contact Us page) and when he finalized the menu, he forwarded it on to me. If you'd like to contact him to set this up, please do. Though, of course, if you have trouble, I'll try as well.

I agree, though, the round table (as seen here) is the way to go. Otherwise someone will get a dish spilled on them with the passing around. Well, that still might happen, but we might lessen severity!

ETA: And, of course, if/when we do go, we want it authentic Hunan! No toning down, give it to us!

Edited by DonRocks

Hi guys, what is up with 100 Degree dinner?

Also, wanted to note that title, "Yang Water Dragon", is somewhat superfluous. Turns out all Dragon years are yang years. No such thing as a yin dragon.

Those of you who know me well, please no comments. :P

Hi guys, what is up with 100 Degree dinner?

Also, wanted to note that title, "Yang Water Dragon", is somewhat superfluous. Turns out all Dragon years are yang years. No such thing as a yin dragon.

Those of you who know me well, please no comments. :P

I got this message from Mr. Chang:

Hi,Don: Thanking you for asking Chinese Happy New Year Special Menu. It is good for 9-10 people a table. It will be available Jan. 20, 2012 ( Friday ) Through Jan 26, 2012 ( Thursday) . You better give me a call to reserve the table so I can serve everybody better. My tel # is 240899- 8073. Talk to you later. Have a nice day. Ming

I got this message from Mr. Chang:

Hi,Don: Thanking you for asking Chinese Happy New Year Special Menu. It is good for 9-10 people a table. It will be available Jan. 20, 2012 ( Friday ) Through Jan 26, 2012 ( Thursday) . You better give me a call to reserve the table so I can serve everybody better. My tel # is 240899- 8073. Talk to you later. Have a nice day. Ming

Okay, I'm not doing anything until 8 people confirm, so ... start confirming! I'll try for Sunday, 6 PM if enough people reply today. Bring at least $40 cash per person, and start replying now. We'll seat from 8-10 total, so minimum 8, maximum 10. Bring as many guests as you'd like, and if we go over 10, we'll try and fill a second table, but let's see if we can get 8 people first.

Again, here is the menu, and it's $300 + tax + tip for the table (figure something close to $400).

Nothing's going to happen unless you're pro-active in replying to this. If we get 8 people by 3 PM, I'll see if I can book a table; otherwise, I won't. This is really too last minute to have much chance of succeeding, but I'm willing to try.

And if anyone really wants to make it Saturday instead of Sunday (NFL Playoffs are on Sunday), speak up, like ... Right! Now!

+1 and I are up for this.

(Don, could you send me a reminder email on Sunday? I have a terrible habit of not looking at my calendar and forgetting about things I am looking forward to attending. Did it again this week, missed a concert I had paid for in advance :o... Also need the address.)

Don, could you send me a reminder email on Sunday?

No!

Can someone else remember to send Zora a reminder? I haven't heard back from Mr. Chang - can someone call (703) 537-0788 and reserve a round table? The line is busy right now, and I have to do something else.

+2 if not too many already

darkstar965, is that you and 2 people or you + 1? If +2, we'd break the limit of 10. I'm going with you+1 at the moment.

I called up the restaurant and changed our reservation to 10 (I hope, seemed loud/busy at the time), which is what we seem to have now:

Sunday, January 22 at 6 pm

Diners:

goodeats +1

TheMatt

Ilaine +1

weezy

zoramargolis +1

darkstar965 +1

Alternate:

Banco

darkstar965, is that you and 2 people or you + 1? If +2, we'd break the limit of 10. I'm going with you+1 at the moment.

I called up the restaurant and changed our reservation to 10 (I hope, seemed loud/busy at the time), which is what we seem to have now:

Sunday, January 22 at 6 pm

Diners:

goodeats +1

TheMatt

Ilaine +1

weezy

zoramargolis +1

darkstar965 +1

Alternate:

Banco

May want to get a second table if interest grows enough? (More importantly is having 1-2 parties on the waiting list (with cell phone number) in case of last-minute cancellations which can cause needless ill-will and hard feelings if 8 people get stuck with the tab for 10.)

With apologies, I replied to this too quickly before checking "internally" ;)

We can't make it as it turns out. Good for Banco though!

Sorry and thank you, darkstar. And so there are nine? This is starting to sound like an Agatha Christie novel.

Is there room for one more?

Sorry and thank you, darkstar. And so there are nine? This is starting to sound like an Agatha Christie novel.

I believe we are now back at ten!

Diners:

• goodeats +1
  • TheMatt
  • Ilaine +1
  • weezy
  • zoramargolis +1
  • Banco
  • Heather

​As DonRocks said, there are often cancellations, so if you want to 'eat standby' there could be a chance.

T-minus a little under a day!

DR.com Dinner at 100 Degree Chinese Cuisine. The address is 3903 Fair Ridge Drive, Unit H, Fairfax, VA, 22033. (It's in the same strip mall/shoppette as a Harris Teeter, so looking for that is the easiest landmark.)

As shown above, the menu is $300/table, and I'm pretty sure that's before tax and gratuity, so probably aim for ~$40 per person. (I'm not sure about drinks. Tea might be included, but probably nothing stronger.)

Diners:

• goodeats +1
  • TheMatt
  • Ilaine +1
  • weezy
  • zoramargolis +1
  • Banco
  • Heather

I can't wait to see you all there tomorrow! Let's ring in the Year of the Dragon in style!

I've PM'd TheMatt and Banco. Getting some freezing drizzle here where I live at the top of a very steep hill. I'm a horrible wuss driver so will not go and hope the roads get better while the temps drop. Hoping Banco can fill in or someone else if you're nearby. So sorry.

-- signed weezy the wussy

Wonderful meal, excellent company. My favorites were the roast duck, braised lamb, and braised pork. the snow pea leaves with crabmeat were really good, as was the lobster with ginger. J especially loved the abalone, sea cucumber and bamboo shoots. Only one real loser--the "dessert", sweet rice ball soup, a warm slightly thickened syrup in which were suspended the black sesame-filled rice flour balls which had an utterly repulsive gluey texture. Banco pointed out that this would be a great dish to serve on Halloween, telling people they were eating eyeballs.