This is a wine that in all likelihood will not show up on a wine list anywhere in the D. C. area. But I just took delivery of a mixed case of wine from WA and the Ex Umbris 2009 was given 93 points from the WS and ranked #25 in their top 100. Hyperbole aside it is a fantastic smooth, mouth coating, jammy, blueberry and plum "ish" wine that is way over the top for it's price: $23.95 at full retail.

I'd put this syrah up against ANY $50-75 syrah that you can find. Phenominal. Not just a phenominal value but a genuinely delicious wine that I am falling in love with as I continue to sip. A GREAT bottle of wine. Even at three, four times the asking price.

I write all this because I am told the 2010 vintage is even better. I can't find any more of the 2009. Anywhere on the internet. I have the bottle I have opened and one more to share with some friends. But for 2010 I will try to buy a lot of this: two, three cases if I can get them. With a case discount this wine is $21. I really don't remember tasting another wine-American, Chilean, Slovenian (!) that even rivals it for value. And, it is absolutely delicious.

Be on the lookout. Owen Roe Ex Umbris Syrah 2009

Washington state is making Great syrah right now: Charles Smith, Cayuse, Reynvaan, Owen Roe.

http://owenroe.com/owen-roe-splash.php is the link to the winery, Yes, they have some '09 Ex Umbris stock left that they can sell direct. A case including shipping and 10% case discount is $311.00. I'll wait and have mine shipped in late March/early April depending on weather. A more expensive alternative is three day Fed Ex.

The wine is truly sensational for the price. Anyone trying it please post your thoughts on here. Thanks.

And, perhaps incredibly, Owen Roe is a doing a multicouse tasting dinner at Brabo on King Street in Alexandria in early February for $125 a person. http://owenroe.com/news.php Somebody likes this wine besides me! I must note however that the Ex Umbris is not listed as one of the wines which will be served.

image_thumb_317.jpgpx.gifOwen Roe Grand Tasting and Wine Dinner Event!

Join us for a "Grand Tasting" of 3 flights of wines presented by David O'Reilly, Winemaker and Owner of Owen Roe.

The "Grand Tasting" will be followed by a 5 course tasting menu featuring the best wines of the Pacific Northwest. See the complete menu under the "menus" tab! The cost is $125 per person + tax + gratuity.

Don't miss this amazing dinner and wine presentation! Reservations are limited, so make yours now by calling 703.894.3440.

Read more about Owen Roe wines at http://owenroe.com/news.php

Joe, I checked with the distributor (Roanoke Valley Wine Co.), and they are out of stock on Ex Umbris until the Spring release.

I spent an hour last night searching the internet trying to find more and everywhere I looked, was sold out. Then I received an e-mail alerting me that the winery still had some in stock! I ordered it online and am hoping that I don't receive another e-mail saying they, too, are sold out. Washington state syrah right now is fantastic! I also sincerely thank you for turning me onto K Vintners several years ago-I was not familiar with them at the time.

PB Yakima Syrah '08 was part of the mixed case which included the Ex Umbris. This, too, is an outstanding wine especially for the price which retails @ $28. The mouth feel is full, smooth and coating while the overall taste is a bit smokier than the Ex Umbris. PB is made by Rasa which along with Reynvaan (I haven't opened the Stoneessence yet) may be Washington's "hottest" new wineries. For anyone reading this try to find the PB also http://shop.rasavineyards.com/2008-pb-wines-yakima-syrah-p5.aspx Unfortunately this is sold out at the winery.

This topic got me very interested in trying some of the labels Joe recommended. Although Ex Umbris does appear to be sold out everywhere, I was able to put together a decent mixed case of Washington State syrahs (Owen Roe, Rasa, and PB Wines) from Garys Wine. The PB Yakima Syrah is on sale for $19, and shipping was about $30 for the case.

http://www.garyswine...gton/16206.html

Has anyone had any luck locally with a store carrying Washington State wineries (Chateau St. Michelle at your local Safeway excluded)?

Your price from NJ for the PB is a great price!! Go for it! I am going to have to look into this, too. Thanks. I've had the PB abd Ex Umbris side by side and they are remarkably similar. Slight preference for the Ex Umbris WHICH THE WINERY STILL HAS. But the PB is a GREAT syrah for the money!!!!

For the most interesting/the best you are going to have to buy from the West Coast stores and winerie ; start with Avalon in Corvallis (northwestwine.com) and go directly to Owen Roe, Rasa and Bergevin Lane along with Charles Smith/K Vintners.(for these last you'll be buying futures a year out; several of their wines are the absolute best of all WA state wines.) Also Cayuse although they are only taking names for the waiting list for their mailing list. But you can find stuff. Reynvaan has 2009 Stonessence arguably their best which the owner of Cayuse consulted on. Rasa has mind blowing reds priced appropriately and then the fantastic PB syrah for about $25 on discount. Woth every penny. Bergevin Lane's new 2009 Moonspell is claimed to be their best cab ever for $30 with a 30% five case discount (I bought five). Anybody wants one case e-mail me wwthrills@aol.com. It's $245 all in for one case which ships by Fed Ex Ground five day tomorrow, shows up in Reston on Friday. You'll have to come by here to pick it up next weekend. I do this because I need at least five cases to get the 30% off. No tax and $25 shipping.http://bergevinlane.com/the-wines/current-releases/moonspell-cabernet-sauvignon-columbia-valley. I must know tomorrow-the wine leaves there Monday AM and if I want more I must tell them first thing, Just pay me when you pick it up.

In honor of Washington State wine month, I opened a 2008 Vox Populi from Rasa. After my first glass, I went online and placed a futures order for their 2011 releases. Thanks again Joe for spreading the Washington gospel. (also wanted to bump up a year old thread, since it is a Washington State focused one)

Thank you for the nice words. I am a huge fan (obviously!) of WA state reds having watched Washington wines evolve over the past 25 years. (I represented a Vancouver , BC company for 23 of these.) In 1990 WA wine was thought of as a cheap alternative to CA, France and elsewhere. I remember walking into Pike and Western wine across from the Pike Place market and seeing both Leonetti and Quilceda Creek on the shelf. Grocery stores carried Woodward Canyon while a visit to Walla Walla turned up a grand total of five wineries.

Today there are over 135 wineries in Walla Walla and Quilceda Creek is a cult wine that in its best years is $250+ per bottle. Cayuse has a five year waiting list for their mailing list and K Vintners sells out its Royal City futures (one year in advance) in one day.

Owen Roe Ex Umbris went up in price this year as did several of the PB wines. Still, because of intense competition and minimal margins, there are several NJ stores like Gary's that are willing to sell remarkably good WA state wines for much less than can be found elsewhere. FWIW the Total in McLean sells the ONLY Sheridan Singularity sold east of the Mississippi (96-100 points from Parker for this honey nectar thick silky syrah) along with several of the K Vintner syrahs such as Millbrandt. I also saw a couple of bottles of Royal City '09 syrah on the shelf (!) at the New Hampshire liquor outlet on I 95 just acros the line MA line two weeks ago. For $140 a bottle. This is the store where NH dumps its allocation of K Vintners as the McLean, VA Total is where they "dump" their better WA wines.

Now, for a 180 degree turn in the topic: I honestly believe that there are some VA wines that are developing similarly to the WA wines in the early '90's. I am serious in this statement. For me 2010 is a turning point for a number of VA reds and would suggest anyone reading this to seriously consider a visit to several nearby wineries: Glen Manor (2010 Hodder HIll-his best yet), RDV (2010 Lost Mountain), Delaplane Cellars (2010 Left Bank Reserve; also a VERY good syrah) and Linden (2010 Hardscrabble). Remarkably all of these improve opened a day. My guess is that they will improve with several years. (We opened a bottle of 2007 Linden Hardscrabble tonight that was amazing. Silky and smooth.) I'd also take a serious look at Hillsborough's 2010 Onyx which was mouthcoating and jammy. (A bottle of 2008 Onyx two nights ago was a remarkable wine for $28 after a 10% discount.) RDV is expensive: $88. Hardscrabble, Left Bank Reserve, Hodder Hill are all in the high '40's before discount and worth it.

At some point I am going to start a separate thread about 2010 Va red. I can't help but mention this in a thread about great WA wine because I passionately believe that VA is developing along similar lines, just a decade or two later. (I am also talking about specific wines at specific wineries in this thread. For someone visiting Delaplane and Hillsborough and buying a $15 bottle you are not going to have the same experience as trying their best bottle.)

Sorry for the 180 degree turn in direction.

Sincere thanks for trying WA wines. My wife and I return to Walla Walla this Fall along with a trip five or so hours north to Kelowna, B. C. which has almost 200 wineries and is THE explosive wine area in western Canada. Virginia is the Eastern version of both of these.

The 2010 has finally made its way to Arlington. Saw it on the shelf at Whole Foods at a whopping $35. Even with shipping it is cheaper to order from one of the many New Jersey outlets.

The Wine Anthology in NJ is selling it for $23.99 with out tax and minimal shipping. I bought two cases from them. http://www.wineanthology.com/search.aspx?searchterm=owen+roe+ex+umbris

According to Full Pull Wines, the Owen Roe partners have split up.

"Partnerships are not easy, and sometimes they run their course. Such is the case for Owen Roe Winery, where partners David O'Reilly and Jerry Owen have split up after many successful years together.  My understanding (admittedly secondhand) is that O'Reilly keeps the Owen Roe name, while Owen keeps the winery and the production winemaker (Erik Brasher). Which in turn means that Jerry Owen needs a new label: Lady Hill"

Drinking some of the 2011 tonight.  I opened it two nights ago to watch the snow, forgot about it last night, and am finishing it tonight. The spiciness of the first night is gone, save for some minimal pepper notes.  It's drinking beautifully after two days though, glad I have a few more bottles of this vintage.