Yelp Best Restaurants

DonRocks

An app that works on a Droid would be very welcome -- but my guess is that's not as easy as doing the + for the iPhone, and an actual developer would be a big deal to get (investment of time and money).

An app would likely help to bring people in, though.

I went and 'liked' dcdining.com on Facebook. If you had the option to "like" a DonRockwell.com facebook page, I'd do that and promote it to my local friends via facebook. And people could say in their facebook posts things like "DonRocks (most-informed local dining website, bar none) gave [this restaurant] a strong review, so I went and I loved it. DonRocks doesn't steer me wrong." And then some of our facebook friends would click on the DonRocks and go to the DonRockwell.com facebook page, read about it, like what they read and come here to post! The Facebook page could have the statement (under 'info', maybe) that nonmembers can search but only members can post, and that DonRockwell.com has compiled over X number of reviews, ranked X number of restaurants handily arranged by location, for X number of years. Something like that, maybe.

Love the idea of stickers (upscale window ones for reviewed places and cheaper ones for forumites to tag the restaurant with -- even if people don't usually look for restaurant recommendations in bathrooms, if it's done as a blitz over the course of a week or two, it might get picked up in the news by Eater or the Post or something, and get some eyeballs here.

Now that the Dining Guide is available to the public, anyone with an iPhone can create their own "app" in a matter of seconds. Bring up the dining guide on your iPhone, and then hit the little plus sign (+) at the bottom of the screen. This puts it as a one-touch icon - I have all four from DC (DC, MD, VA, Multiple Locations) on mine, and use them every day.

Sorry, but this doesn't work for me. When I access the dining guide through Safari on iPhone 4S, I have a button at the bottom that says, "Get the free IP Board App for iPhone now!" (no + sign). When I click, it takes me to the iTunes store and I get a popup that says, "Your request could not be completed."

I'd love for this to be user error--let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Sorry, but this doesn't work for me. When I access the dining guide through Safari on iPhone 4S, I have a button at the bottom that says, "Get the free IP Board App for iPhone now!" (no + sign). When I click, it takes me to the iTunes store and I get a popup that says, "Your request could not be completed." I'd love for this to be user error--let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

- Open Safari on your iPhone

- Navigate to the Dining Guide (http://www.donrockwe...?showtopic=3783)

- Click the box/arrow button at the bottom of the safari browser

- Select "add to home page" to create an app-style bookmark to the dining page on your iphone.

If, as Don does, you want to add a separate button for each of the dining guides, use safari to navigate to each one you want and use the "add to home page" button to create each link.

- Open Safari on your iPhone

- Navigate to the Dining Guide (http://www.donrockwe...?showtopic=3783)

- Click the box/arrow button at the bottom of the safari browser

- Select "add to home page" to create an app-style bookmark to the dining page on your iphone.

If, as Don does, you want to add a separate button for each of the dining guides, use safari to navigate to each one you want and use the "add to home page" button to create each link.

Ah. So it's not so much an app (software for a smartphone) as a shortcut to the internet page?

Ah. So it's not so much an app (software for a smartphone) as a shortcut to the internet page?

It's a web app. Much like Google's "apps." You don't actually install Google apps to your smart phone, they just exist as shortcuts, and are optimized for Safari/your browser.

It's a web app. Much like Google's "apps." You don't actually install Google apps to your smart phone, they just exist as shortcuts, and are optimized for Safari/your browser.

As I read Don's post, yes, but I could be / would like to be wrong.

Sadly, you are exactly right. The biggest issue with this is that there's not a good in-page search function, which, given the size of the guide, is a necessity, especially given how long that page becomes on an iPhone screen.

It's a "quasi-app" :)

Far too generous for what is merely a shortcut/icon. It would be a piece of cake for someone actually to make this a functional app (searchable, optimized for the iPhone's screen size) instead of a bookmark.

Did he really give his own place a lower rating than some other places too? If you're going to shill, shill!

He must be saving the fifth star for la forchetta. the new mexico ave. location is not a far walk from where i live. I don't know why, but this is where i want to eat tonight. instead, we will have to head off to radius, which is still worth a visit for its specials, and can still make a mean martini when it really tries. i recently had a good pork belly sandwich there and a grilled cheese and tomato soup sounds good. not sure about how i feel about adding any amount of pickled vegetables to risotto, but it survived. radius did stumble over the past year, and its business looks down some, but the cooking is getting back on its feet. i have never tried a pizza from pizzeria autentica, maybe because i suspect it might leave me with something to yelp about. on one of his kitchen nightmares episodes, gordon ramsay forces the larcenous owners of a failing los angeles burger restaurant to confront their yelp critics. i wasn't paying strict attention to the program, but it sounded like the cost of their deficient burgers rose into the $20-$30-plus range. ramsay, who tends to take the higher road in this series on fox, suggests that by listening to what yelp has to say you can turn one of the worst restaurants into one of the best, not that this is something he has had to worry about in his own business.

Yelp, which has never made a profit, is now "down" to just over $1 Billion in market cap.

Greetings, investors, let me introduce myself.

#waitingpatiently

Wow, what a coincidence! I can't believe you brought this up! I had a problem and I wasn't sure which thread to post my question on.

I just bought an iPhone and when I tried to log on to my Prodigy account to check the USENETs for the latest quote on my Facebook shares, I got nothing. It also seems that on my iPhone, something between the Prodigy GUI and Invision doesn't quite synch and I have trouble using this site too.

If anyone has written a patch in TBOL using NAPLPS that would fix this please e-mail it to me at: nawty.teen@compuserve.com

I looked all over GeoCities for help on this but couldn't find anything.

It's really frustrating because I can't find any reviews on sidewalk.com (my back-up to dr.com for restaurant recs) either.

I just hope this same problem won't keep me from checking out all of the Hot Picks! on the new Zagat's on Google+...

Thanks!

Wow, what a coincidence! I can't believe you brought this up! I had a problem and I wasn't sure which thread to post my question on.

I just bought an iPhone and when I tried to log on to my Prodigy account to check the USENETs for the latest quote on my Facebook shares, I got nothing. It also seems that on my iPhone, something between the Prodigy GUI and Invision doesn't quite synch and I have trouble using this site too.

If anyone has written a patch in TBOL using NAPLPS that would fix this please e-mail it to me at: nawty.teen@compuserve.com

It's really frustrating because I can't find any reviews on sidewalk.com (my back-up to dr.com for restaurant recs) either.

I just hope this same problem won't keep me from checking out all of the Hot Picks! on the new Zagat's on Google+...

Thanks!

Yeah, I kind of figured over the years that I'd focus on substance and content, making sure to use my M.S. in Computer Science to maintain a logically hierarchical internal database structure (which is all this entire website is), and then when the time was right (read: soon), let an entry-level programmer step in and apply a coat of paint - should be about as simple as cooking frozen spinach. :)

Yeah, I kind of figured over the years that I'd focus on substance and content, making sure to use my M.S. in Computer Science to maintain a logically hierarchical internal database structure (which is all this entire website is), and then when the time was right (read: soon), let an entry-level programmer step in and apply a coat of paint - should be about as simple as cooking frozen spinach. :)

You can cook frozen spinach?!?!

Thanks!

You're using the wrong browser. Try Mosaic.

My goodness. This is a passionate place. I awoke from a deep sleep, noticed my recent emails, one of which parenthetically, had to do with testing, from an SEO (search engine optimizing) perspective, how these damned vexing websites such as yelp, google+, etc. show reviews within a certain mysterious order...and decided to act on the experiment.

I did so, in part because the participants of that group have a similar level of passion, (myself included) directed at a topic other than food.

Then I noticed in my email, an invite to the DR picnic, read the WashPost article, (I'm a very new member here)--very interesting--decided to go to this forum and happened to see this thread. Oh my this thread is passionate--validating some of the thematic description in the WashPost article.

I happen to do seo work, none for restaurants, and found this thread engaging and fascinating on a variety of levels including:

1. The terrific and honest posts (good reading and entertaining).

2. The depth of the posts

3. The way the community pushed through the initial idea and subsequent ideas

4. ...and I suppose because I'm struggling, and contemplating a small issue, and action vis a vis yelp reviews for my clients...and yelp has been on my mind.

(also referencing back many posts ago, I almost assuredly found this forum via search. Opening the forum to "search" was, IMHO, a wise move in increasing awareness to the general public).

I'd add that ultimately creating a DR approved sticker would be another step in creating additional awareness of this forum and the passionate, educated, and worthwhile commentary.

By the way, in general, every current web based review site is subject to significant and accurate claims that there is a certain level of actual manipulation of the reviews. While informative and well read reviews are fascinating and helpful, it is a fact of life today, that the review corpus on any business almost anywhere should be somewhat treated with some skepticism, due to the potential for manipulative reviews (either positive or negative).

(my above referenced "experiment" had to do with trying to manipulate some aspect of the visibility of reviews, after all)

Mostly, though, this is a refreshingly passionate place.

Thanks. My future posts will try and reflect the passion.

I love these videos more than I can tell you.

On road trips, I read one star reviews outloud to JLock for hours, refreshing for more reviews as we travel. I actually prefer the hotel reviews. The game is to determine which is worse: the author or the hotel? Usually it is close. I hope this practice isn't damaging our daughter.

These reviews and videos are pretty wonderful. Adding to the list, this one is one of my all time - faves. It's not about a restaurant but food (actually beverage) is mentioned.

Subtlety is going to be the key to these going forward; too much wink-wink overacting is going to get tiresome (unless it's really, over-the-top, physical-type overacting). "Play it like Mozart, and let the notes speak for themselves."

This is of course the mother of all awesome reviews of awesome things, in case you haven't experienced it. Scroll down to the "Dual Function Design" review by B. Govern. Here too, beverage is mentioned.

That's pretty good. All the moreso since the seller seems to be serious and must be mortified or highly annoyed that it has attracted 2700 reviews, most of them mocking the product. It's close but I think my prison trumps your t-shirt...just barely (and no pun intended).

That's pretty good. All the moreso since the seller seems to be serious and must be mortified or highly annoyed that it has attracted 2700 reviews, most of them mocking the product. It's close but I think my prison trumps your t-shirt...just barely (and no pun intended).

They're selling those tshirts as fast as they can print them :)

Your prison review was certainly more highbrow and showed concern for the lack of juicebox varieties, while also giving some sound advice for any visitor - the kind only possible from an insider, one who knows the ropes.

Three wolves is really a classic boy-meets-girl-meets-3-wolves tale. It is a heart warming story of overcoming the adversity of a girthy frame. It is an epic transformation embodied in a 3 wolf t shirt and riding side saddle on a courtesy scooter. It is the American dream.

They are both awesome reviews in their own right, like comparing the Mona Lisa to Captain 20. They are both just the best ever. Like mountain dew and juiceboxes for special moments.

Let Yelp be your dining guide.

This insight on Izakaya Seki that looks like it has been up since the end of July:

"This is the first place in DC that I've seen bukkake on the menu. That's pretty unique, if nothing else.

(Although at just $12 for a whole bowl of it I think those Japanese fanatics have been overpaying all those years.)"

Sounds unappetizing, at least in a restaurant setting, but for this alone, it is awarded four stars.

This insight on Izakaya Seki that looks like it has been up since the end of July:

"This is the first place in DC that I've seen bukkake on the menu. That's pretty unique, if nothing else.

(Although at just $12 for a whole bowl of it I think those Japanese fanatics have been overpaying all those years.)"

Sounds unappetizing, at least in a restaurant setting, but for this alone, it is awarded four stars.

Can we have a "Like" button? Please?

Can we have a "Like" button? Please?

Reality is stranger than fiction!

http://washingtondc....3462400807.html

My wife found this while looking for some work. It may not say directly that it is for restaurant reviews, but trust me, there are people who do this with their friends, I've just never seen such a blatant attempt to rook the system. It's sad...

Because it'll likely disappear from CL, good to memorialize that one given its outrageousness.

yelpers needed (dc)

Date: 2012-12-07, 2:43PM EST Reply to this post gkxzf-3462400807@job.craigslist.org[?] We need people willing to get paid for 2 minutes job of posting a good review. Yelpers with at least 50 posts experience are those that we are interested in.

• Compensation: $10 per listing
  • This is a part-time job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID:3462400807

I think any restauranteur would be foolish not to at least consider this as well as courting bloggers, encouraging people to "like" them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, etc. A place with a good business plan, marketing, and a publicist has to consider their online presence.

http://washingtondc....3462400807.html

My wife found this while looking for some work. It may not say directly that it is for restaurant reviews, but trust me, there are people who do this with their friends, I've just never seen such a blatant attempt to rook the system. It's sad...

Wasn't there a story recently in the Post or NYT (or was it 60 Minutes) that discussed paid Amazon and other online reviews? It would not surprise me one bit, and the more folks that visit Yelp, the better for them.

Wasn't there a story recently in the Post or NYT (or was it 60 Minutes) that discussed paid Amazon and other online reviews? It would not surprise me one bit, and the more folks that visit Yelp, the better for them.

If we're thinking of the same story, it was one author writing bad reviews about another author's novels. And writing good reviews of his own haha. I think I got that right.

This is absurd, I say we inquire as to what restaurants would stoop to these levels and expose them.

If we're thinking of the same story, it was one author writing bad reviews about another author's novels. And writing good reviews of his own haha. I think I got that right.

This is absurd, I say we inquire as to what restaurants would stoop to these levels and expose them.

Might be as easy as answering a CL ad. Any investigative journalists out there?

We might not want to know the answers, because it may be more places than we think. How does it differ from any other pay to play scenario? Is it just because it's the web, and therefore new and easier to dislike. Buying advertising, contracts with LivingSocial, endorsing products to up a chef's name recognition, comps, extras to favored customers to boost word of mouth...it's all marketing. Participating here is, to a certain extent, part of a successful marketing/PR campaign. We might not like it, but it's done and done a lot.