dr.com $20 Laotian Tuesday at Bangkok Golden - Friday February 17 11:45 am

Ericandblueboy

Is this the only menu? There's some Laotian stuff on it. Is there a separate Laos menu? I'd like to do a $20 whatever day. I'd be interested to show them some sample Little Serow menus and see if they can come up with a comparable menu that doesn't cost $45 per person. While I like Little Serow, I think it's seriously overpriced, yet I believe the demand will just drive prices even higher. The only solution is to find substitutes.

The online menu is their Laos menu, I believe. The Thai menu is available when you sit down or ask over the phone. Not sure why you need a substitute and not just enjoy each restaurant for its strengths?

I've been here a few times and really like sticking to the Laos menu. Laos hot is really excellent esp if your sinuses are clogged...

If anyone wants to try a lunch outing at this restaurant, I'd definitely go-it's been on my list, but I'm not usually up in that area. Thai food is at the top of my favored foods, I love spicy, I'll try almost anything, if I have plenty of water handy. Living for larb...Linda

While I like Little Serow, I think it's seriously overpriced, yet I believe the demand will just drive prices even higher. The only solution is to find substitutes.

There's always McDonald's Namtok rice, sadly it's only in Thailand, but maybe someday...

BTW the Lao menu looks great. I'd be down for an outing (Lao hot!). There is also good Thai and Isaan food at the takeout counter in the back of Duangrat Thai grocery, made to order. They share the kitchen with Rabieng. Neam khao tord, soop naw mai, somtom Lao, nam tok, laap, etc.

If anyone wants to try a lunch outing at this restaurant, I'd definitely go-it's been on my list, but I'm not usually up in that area. Thai food is at the top of my favored foods, I love spicy, I'll try almost anything, if I have plenty of water handy. Living for larb...Linda

Most definitely. I'd be up for mid-week lunch outing. Yet another larb lover.

I'll post this advice, having coordinated many of the $20 Tuesday events in the past:

Don't poll for interest - just pick a date. Probably 75% of the people who post "I'm interested" won't attend because of a conflict, and there are many of us who are not posting that, but waiting to see what the date is before expressing interest. People will come. Someone willing to coordinate just needs to post a date, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself.

Fri the 17th works for me for lunch.

And for me.

Maybe we can put a dinner together after the lunch. I will volunteer to coordinate that, but would like to hold off on setting a date until after Feb 15th (when I'm back in town)- or after scoping the place out at lunch on the 17th.

Friday, February 17

11:45 a.m.

Here's who responded in the affirmative:

Ericandblueboy

thistle

DanielK (+1?)

porcupine

goldenticket +1

Fishinnards

dean gold

noahcofc

Koolpaw

ktmoomau

Crackpot Gourmet (?)

Tweaked

If I missed you or you're on the list and can't make it, post here and we can update list.

I haven't been to the restaurant, so can't offer any ordering guidance. I would only suggest that we order a mix of Lao hot and not-so-hot dishes, to accommodate all palates.

Friday, February 17

11:45 a.m.

Here's who responded in the affirmative:

Ericandblueboy

thistle

DanielK

porcupine

goldenticket

Fishinnards

dean gold

noahcofc

Koolpaw

ktmoomau

Crackpot Gourmet (?)

If I missed you or you're on the list and can't make it, post here and we can update list.

I haven't been to the restaurant, so can't offer any ordering guidance. I would only suggest that we order a mix of Lao hot and not-so-hot dishes, to accommodate all palates.

I've never been at lunch, but they do have a steam-table buffet at dinner (I've never ordered from it; just noticed it). I'm not recommending this because made-to-order is generally better, but just thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility - someone may wish to call (here is a review from about a year ago (and by the way, Little Serow taught me that it's better to use that sticky rice as a palate cleanser; not as something to dump the Orm Pork on top of)).

Anyone else coming or dropping out? If I get motivated I just might call the restaurant tomorrow and see about getting a reservation and hint that the chef should be there to impress us (that sounds douchey but most people who go there for lunch do the buffet. I've had their buffet several times and it's pretty good, but not fabulous by any means).

Anyone else coming or dropping out? If I get motivated I just might call the restaurant tomorrow and see about getting a reservation and hint that the chef should be there to impress us (that sounds douchey but most people who go there for lunch do the buffet. I've had their buffet several times and it's pretty good, but not fabulous by any means).

I am going to have to cancel, I have discovery that has to be done by the end of the day tomorrow and I am not as far along as I had hoped. And tonight is the GridIron so I won't be working late. :( Very sad.

I think calling is a good idea. If they normally serve mostly buffet at lunch, they might appreciate knowing a large crowd is going to want to order from the Lao menu.

I might be +1 - will let you know Thursday.

It IS Thursday ;)

Looking forward to lunch tomorrow and second the idea of calling ahead. Eric - could you do that? Thanks!

We could be up to 13 people (Dean? Crackpot Gourmet? are you in?)

We had four appetizers (2 orders each):

CHUNH MUN KOONG $6.95 Shrimp cake with Lao curry, bean & fresh dill. Served with cucumber sauce

SAI OUA/LAO SPICY SAUSAGE $8.95 Pork sausage stuffed with lemongrass, herbs & fresh dills.

YUM MARG MUANG/MANGO SALAD $8.95 Julienne green mango, carrots, red onion, dried shrimp spicy lime sauce topped with peanut.

NAM KHAO/CRISPY RICE SALAD $8.95 Crispy & spicy rice with herbs, shredded coconut & seasoned with lime juice, onion, ham. Served with fresh lettuce. (not sure if we got this or the vegetarian version)

Two soups (each serves 5 or 6 small bowls):

KAING SOM PAH $9.95 Tilapia, lemon grass, onion, tamarind juice, tomato & basil.

KAING KEUANG NAI $ 8.95 Beef tripe, chitlin, & beef broth

Seven entrees:

LARB PED (DUCK) $13.95

LARB SEEN (BEEF) $10.95 raw & bitter

KOI PAH (FISH) $10.95 medium rare and super hot

PING MOO/GRILLED PORK $8.95 Pork marinated with house sauce, lemongrass, ginger

MOAK NORMAI/BAMBOO $ 8.95 Julienne bamboo, seasoned Lao style curry, pork, coconut milk

ORM SALMON $13.95

MOAK: TILAPIA $8.95 seasoned in chili paste with lemongrass, fresh dill

I think that's what we got. With tip it was less than $20 per person.

Thanks Eric, for organizing this outing and getting the list of dishes up so quickly!

It was a fun meal and I didn't taste anything that I disliked. Lots of great flavors, not too much heat in anything (for my tastes). Some felt that they held back on the heat. I've not had "Lao Hot" before, so can't say for sure whether that was the case. I appreciated that the heat was an obvious component of several of the dishes, but not in a way that was unpleasant or detracted from the other flavors.

Brian, who was more of a guide than our waiter, helped put together a great sampling of dishes. His suggestions and information about flavors, heat, and traditional preferences were very useful.

Moak Normai and Ping Moo (prepared with pork neck for us) were some of my favorites, along with the Kaing Som Pah. I appreciated that they were willing to prepare the Larb Seen raw and Brian suggested adding some tripe to it when he saw that we were up for trying just about anything.

Edite to add: I also enjoyed the Nam Khao and am thinking it would be a great carry-out item, along with an order of soup...and several other things ;)

I definitely would be happy to organize a dinner, for those who couldn't make lunch. I'll start a separate thread for that within the next day.

We had four appetizers (2 orders each):

CHUNH MUN KOONG $6.95 Shrimp cake with Lao curry, bean & fresh dill. Served with cucumber sauce

SAI OUA/LAO SPICY SAUSAGE $8.95 Pork sausage stuffed with lemongrass, herbs & fresh dills.

YUM MARG MUANG/MANGO SALAD $8.95 Julienne green mango, carrots, red onion, dried shrimp spicy lime sauce topped with peanut.

NAM KHAO/CRISPY RICE SALAD $8.95 Crispy & spicy rice with herbs, shredded coconut & seasoned with lime juice, onion, ham. Served with fresh lettuce. (not sure if we got this or the vegetarian version)

All of these needed a little kick from the hot chili tray which you need to ask for. Our wait was working so hard that I didn't ask. The shrimp cakes were especially good.

soups (each serves 5 or 6 small bowls):

KAING KEUANG NAI $ 8.95 Beef tripe, chitlin, & beef broth

Really good and earthy

Seven entrees:

LARB PED (DUCK) $13.95

LARB SEEN (BEEF) $10.95 raw & bitter

KOI PAH (FISH) $10.95 medium rare and super hot {or maybe not so super hot IMO :rolleyes: }

MOAK NORMAI/BAMBOO $ 8.95 Julienne bamboo, seasoned Lao style curry, pork, coconut milk

All of these needed a little kick from the hot chili tray which you need to ask for. The larbs were a little dry and you can sprinkle fish sauce & hot chilis which would have made the larbs great.

Brian treated us to a stick rice with green stuff & coconut atop for dessert which was quite good!

All in all, better than our first meal there and will get me back to explore more on one of Brian's nights because he made the last two dishes much hotter when w said that the first round wasn't hot. When I told him the last round wasn't more than medium, he took it as a personal challenge for next time.