Crepes on the Corner, Creperie and Cafe, 15th and C, SE - Sadly, Closed.

After "coming soon" for a long time, this long-awaited creperie quietly opened on Wednesday. They're still not 100% up-to-speed (sandwiches, for instance, are still a couple of days away from appearing), but they're almost there. The place has a rustic elegance to it, with a wooden communal table in the center and shelves lined with homemade preserves and pickles.

The menu lists seven savory crepes (plus one weekly special) and nine sweet crepes. Any of the crepes on the regular menu can be made gluten-free. In addition to sandwiches, they have salads; salads and spreads that can be turned into sandwiches; and sides that are mostly salads. It's not listed on the menu, but they apparently will also be offering homemade soups.

I didn't sample any food but had a good cup of drip coffee (large--16 oz., I think--for $2.75). The crepes range in price from $7 (various) to $12, for "The Body Builder": Double chicken, two eggs, and double cheese.

I neglected to ask what the coffee was, but the packaged coffee they have for sale is Swing's, so I assume that's what they were brewing as well.

The refrigerated case was being stocked while I was there. They had yogurt, milk, and cartons of eggs, plus a few other things I don't recall.

Their website doesn't have the menu up yet. They're updating Facebook, though.

I should give their hours:

Monday: 7AM to 2 PM

Tuesday - Friday: 7AM to 9PM

Saturday: 9AM to 9PM

Sunday: 9AM to 5PM

I've been here several times now, though I still haven't sampled the food for myself. The coffee I had today from Papua New Guinea was excellent--very smooth--enough so that I had two cups. (Refills run $1.10, including tax, on the regular coffees; no refills on lattes, etc.) They usually have at least two coffees to select from each day.

My friend the crepe lover, got a crepe that she enjoyed: "The Classic" ($7; Virginia salt-cured ham, Gruyere cheese, and a fried egg on top). She also ordered a latte that she thought was well-made. She found the flavor of the crepe itself a little wanting in comparison to the ones she regularly orders from the vendor at Eastern Market on the weekends but liked the filling of the crepe and overall feeling of the restaurant, not to mention being able to sit in a comfortable environment and have a latte at the same time.

They have a kitchen downstairs and we discovered that they make most of their bread products/baked goods in-house, except for the baguettes, which are from Panorama. They also roast their own meats for the sandwiches.

I was surprised to see the sign on the door now indicates that they are closed on Mondays. I asked and they will be open this coming Monday for the holiday but, at least for the time being, will be closed or have limited hours on Mondays so that they can devote the time to driving out to the farmers and other purveyors they use.

When I first moved to the neighborhood 24 years ago, I could never have imagined a place like this would ever exist in this location. Nor could I have anticipated P&C market by Lincoln Park. The two places have the same kind of feel to them for me. I hope this succeeds as well as the market seems to be.

I wanted to like this place better, but the few times I went there were mostly disappointing. On one occasion, that "Classic" crepe was incredibly salty; at another time, the veggie crepe was just blah. Moreover, the service was often slow and jumbled; they seemed unable to handle more than one order at a time, and that slowly. When Bob and I stopped in one Sunday afternoon, even though we ordered our crepes together and there were no other orders in the queue, it still took about 15 minutes to get his order, and another 10 before I got mine. And, to be honest, despite the fresh ingredients, I found the prices a bit steep, particularly for food that was often just so-so and sluggish service. This was a nice place in theory, but from their star-crossed opening on, it seemed like it was just not a well-planned operation, further hampered by an off-the-beaten-path location.