Boundary Road, 5th and H Street NE - GM Mary Kate Wrzesniewski Has Departed - Closed

Hey folks, my friend Jonathan Uribe (now exec chef at Toki Underground) and I will be doing a taco take over here at Boundary Road this Sunday night at 9pm. $5 cocktails. Taco menu below:

Tostada - Cobia tartare, avocado, radish - $3
Celery Root Taco - braised portabellos, ramp slaw, tomatillo queso de cabra - $4
Fried Chicken Waffle Taco - spicy maple syrup, whipped coriander butter - $5
Reuben Lengua Taco - cured tongue, jicama kraut, cured oyster 1000 island - $5

Taco Takeover.jpg

• Like 4

Hey folks! Our 4th Annual Artichoke Week is going to start next Friday, May 20th. For those of you who aren't familiar with this festival, we basically artichoke-ize the fuck out of the dinner menu. Anywhere I can put artichokes, I'm gonna put artichokes. And yes, there will be Cynar-based cocktails with punny names. Also getting a 5 year old goat in. She's gonna be funky. 

• Like 5

We move to Houston on Friday, and sadly had our final meal at our neighborhood standby last night.  I am glad to say that we leave on a high note, with what may be one of the top meals I've had at BR.  

The menu has definitely gone through some changes, and there are some very exciting looking dishes to be had.  I started with the Cured Cobia, thinly sliced, and topped with a pistachio and caper relish and a dusting of finely grated bottarga.  This was an excellent starter - light, refreshing, but with enough backbone to it that it feels substantial.  My main course of Grilled Wild Alaskan King Salmon was a hit as well. Cooked to medium, as recommended by the waiter (I normally like my salmon med-rare, and would ask for that next time), it was moist, with a nicely charred skin from time on the grill.  It came served on a salad of chickpeas, broccoli, and fiddleheads in a mild yogurt sauce and grilled garlic scapes on the side.  I'm a sucker for fiddleheads and scapes (add ramps in there, and you have the perfect Spring trifecta), and this dish hit all the right notes.

I accompanied this with a sparkling blaufränkisch rosé, with just the right amount of tartness and slight spice to compliment both dishes.

I will really miss having BR in my backyard.  If you haven't been in a while, go.  It's worth a drive to check out what Luke and Mary Kate are doing these days.

• Like 8

On 6/14/2016 at 4:00 PM, JoshNE said:

We move to Houston on Friday, and sadly had our final meal at our neighborhood standby last night.

DC's a small town, man...really happy I randomly bumped into you at the game last night. The DC food scene, Instagram, and the Don Rockwell community especially are going to lose a lot of excellent writing and insight with your departure. Good luck in Houston, and stay a member on here.

Cheers!

• Like 6

On June 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM, JoshNE said:

I am glad to say that we leave on a high note, with what may be one of the top meals I've had at BR.  

Thanks for your wonderful comments, Josh; they are greatly appreciated. So too, was your feedback on that woeful New Years brunch this past year. Best of luck in Houston. I hear they got some good food..

• Like 4

On 6/15/2016 at 4:33 PM, lhollers said:

The DC food scene, Instagram, and the Don Rockwell community especially are going to lose a lot of excellent writing and insight with your departure. Good luck in Houston, and stay a member on here.

Cheers!

Two out of three ain't bad ...

... stay tuned.

• Like 1

Hey folks, I'm teaming up with Undone Chocolate out of Union Kitchen this Sunday for a chocolate everything brunch. We'll have some chocolate cocktails (not sweet-think tequila infused with chocolate shells and made into margarita, and a coffee old fashioned has no chocolate, but tastes like it. Also a boozy milkshake that I call "this isn't Ted's Bulletin"), plus a bunch of other sweet and savory dishes. The chocolate makers themselves will be in house to answer questions, do tastings, give samples, and sell their stuff. Trust me, it's good. They control the whole process from bean to bar, are USDA certified organic, and use single source beans only. Menu below:

White Chocolate Summer Vegetable Baba Ghanoush . . . $10

Blistered peppers with chocolate picada sauce . . . $9

BLT—thick-cut bacon, local tomatoes, arugula, cocoa nib mayo . . . $13

Reuben Benedict—corned bison, sauerkraut, rye,
chocolate stout-brown butter hollandaise
. . . $13

Gentlemen Will Take a Chance—pork confit, veggies, chocolate bbq sauce, fried egg . . . $13

Chocolate and Peanut Butter French Toast . . . $11

Chocolate Chip Cultured Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes [gf] . . . $11

Molé Huevos Rancheros—masa tortilla, tomatoes, avocado . . . $12

Chocolate Caponata with duck egg and toast . . . $12

Chocolate nib-crusted Steak and Eggs . . . $16

• Like 4

For all the people who have been saying we should do a burger, we have finally answered the call. On Tuesdays only [lunch only], we have started serving a different Bob's Burger-themed bison burger each week. I can't say that we won't copy one of Bob's puns now and then, but thus far, we have kept it original through two weeks. 

Last week: "I Ran Za'atar A-whey" - whey-brined bison burger with za'atar, greek yogurt, and feta. 

This week: " 'Nduja Believe in Life After Lovage" - 'nduja-stuffed burger with lovage remoulade and pickled green tomatoes

Each day starts with 15 burgers and we go until we sell out. $10 each. $15 gets you a burger and any draft beer. 

As long as we keep doing musically-themed puns, we will also play the accompanying song with the first order. Today, the three gentlemen did not notice. We were disappointed. 

Suggestions are welcome. 

• Like 6

Celebrate the Greatest Gift a Duck Can Give

2016 DC Foie Gras Festival 

Wednesday October 26th - Wednesday November 2nd

Join over 40 top Washington, DC restaurants in celebrating one of their favorite culinary delicacies – foie gras. As part of the week-long DC Foie Gras Festival, participating restaurants will be serving foie gras-centric dishes, all featuring conscionably raised domestic foie gras. Consumers who dine at any of the 42 participating restaurants from October 26 – November 2 will have the opportunity to vote on their favorite foie gras dish and the winner of the popular vote will receive the coveted Golden Duck trophy. 

The DC Foie Gras Festival is the chef-driven reincarnation of Foie La La, the original H Street foie gras competition founded four years ago by former Boundary Road chef and co-owner, Brad Walker. 

“Foie gras has a rich cultural history dating back to ancient Egypt, but there are many misconceptions about this culinary delicacy,” said Chef Luke Feltz of Boundary Road and the organizer of the DC Foie Gras Festival. “Our mission during this week-long festival is to delight foie gras enthusiasts, introduce foie gras to those who have yet to experience it, and to educate diners on foie gras and its production.” 

“As the leading domestic provider of responsibly raised foie gras, we are proud to support Chef Feltz in our common mission to educate diners on the misconceptions surrounding the production of foie gras and recognize farmers who treat their animals with respect,” said Ariane Daguin, CEO of D’Artagnan. 

All participating restaurants will be using the highest quality foie gras sourced from Hudson Valley Foie Farms in upstate New York. Hudson Valley’s practices consistently earn approval from veterinary professionals. The birds are cage free, handled by the same person their entire lives, and every part is used, including the feathers.

For details, educational materials, voting, and the interactive “FoieCrawl” map, visit

www.boundaryrd.com/foiethewin

We look forward to dining with you! 

Luke Feltz
Chef
Boundary Road

701 Restaurant

Art & Soul

Bar Pilar

Barrel

Belga Cafe

Beucherts Saloon

Birch and Barley

Boundary Road

Brasserie Beck

BToo

Convivial

Cork

District Distilling Co.

Espita

Fainting Goat

Flight Wine Bar

Garrison

Homestead
Irongate

Jack Rose

La Jambe

Little Coco's

Masa 14

Mintwood Place

Nopa

Perry's

Plume
Proof

Rappahannock 

Rural Society

Sally’s Middle Name

Sovereign

Table

The Big Board

The Bird

The Pig

The Riggsby

Tico

Toki Underground

West End Bistro

Zentan

• Like 6

Hey H Street hooligans, new fall menu rolled out yesterday. Almost all of it is "retro-inspired"-think modern twists on salade nicoise, meuniere amandine, fish and chips, shrimp scampi, pasta alla gin (not vodka), stroganoff (mushroom and truffles), short ribs chateaubriand, celery root "steak diane", and as soon as blood oranges roll in....duck a l'orange....this menu will pretty much stay the same until snow hits the ground. I've been working on it for a couple months and I'm very proud of it. Hope you can come check it out. 

P.S. steak tartare is back

• Like 3

I understand this is MK's last week here. As the GM, she has been the FOH face of the establishment for several years running, and so this is definitely the end of another era here at BR. I shall stop in for the pear brandy treatment one last time. Good luck MK!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

I understand this is MK's last week here. As the GM, she has been the FOH face of the establishment for several years running, and so this is definitely the end of another era here at BR. I shall stop in for the pear brandy treatment one last time. Good luck MK!

Lots of change here in recent years, but what a great run Boundary Road has had over it's first handful of years.  I so wish we could bring @chefgunshow back! 

• Like 2

I passed by several days ago, and saw that they were closed due to a "broken air conditioner" and that the dining area was too uncomfortable.  They had also discontinued lunch several months ago, I guess the new Whole Foods and other fast casual spots that have popped off had crowded the once-sparse lunch scene on H Street NE.  

My children grew up on their kid's chicken plate with broccoli and fries.  I would also fly solo there at the bar, always saying hi to the ceramic blowjob kitty perched next to the scotch, and either ordering the steak tartar (or pierogies, if the late-night menu was in effect).  

From the beginning, the restaurant was an optimistic, defiant, and just fun place situated in an evolving H Street NE.  "I'm Thinking about Getting a Vespa"  was their signature cocktail for as long as I can remember, and the title totally captured the neighborhood vibe at the time.  Chef Brad had his concept of European peasant food down, and it was just a comfortable, delicious place.  Most importantly, it was a community spot, especially late night, when industry folks on the East side of H Street and Union Market came over to unwind.  The beer program was also a strength there.  The douche level of bar traffic there was not at an elevated quotient back then, and I was hopeful that their early investment would pay off later as the neighborhood's vertical buildings came online.  When the Obamas ate here, I was so proud for them that I actually thought this might be a "We've Arrived" type moment, but that moment never really played into their identity moving forward.  When it was profiled in George Pelecano's "The Double", I thought that was a good luck charm that would smile upon it for a long time.  

Thank you, in no particular order and forgive misspellings, Chef Brad, Chef Luke, Karlos, MK, Jenny, Dan, Erin, Sally, Sam, Shadora,  Francesco, Tim, Stephen, May, John, Josh, Anneliese, Brenden, E.J., Lindsey, Sheila, Tim, Assanti, Pat, and several others whose names but not faces escape me a the moment.  You all built a really cool spot, and we have fond memories of this place forever.  Good luck to you all.

P.S.  Fuck you, any cheering PETA asshats

Edited by DaRiv18
PS
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Mark Dedrick & I were lamenting the loss last night, and like @DaRiv18, we will miss he tremendous range BR had. So many family meals with my kids there.  So many out of town guests. And yes, so many late nights at the bar. My oldest would often ask to go see "Chef Brad," and we were always happy to oblige. 

If you look at one of my early posts in the Houston forum, you'll see me describing my search for a BR replacement. Everyone should be so lucky to have a place like Boundary Road. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news. This was a fantastic neighborhood restaurant, and one we visited on many occasions. It was good for solo dining at the bar, for meeting people for drinks, for late night dining, and for taking folks from out of town. There's no other place on H that can do everything that this place did. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

H Street Stalwart Boundary Road Closes, Bar Elena Opening In Its Place
Eater DC
by Adele Chapin  Jul 21, 2017, 9:40am EDT

What’s new is an expanded bar and arcade games, including pinball machines. Bar Elena is slated to open in late August.

Is the 'H St is lacking in sit-down restaurants' discussion still alive in 2017? Is it a 'nightlife district' problem?