Knives

Demetrius

In terms of great knives that don't break the bank, I don't think you can beat the Forschner's by Victorinox. I've had a set of these for about a year and a half and they've been absolute workhorses. I consider myself to be an above average home chef and I've recommended these knives to at least 10 of my friends, all of whom have come back with raves. I also like the fibrox handles on these...while they're a bit of a pain to clean, they offer an extremely comfortable/non-slippery grip that I appreciate when I'm carving a turkey or deboning a chicken.

For a set that will set you back under 160 bucks, I don't think you can beat it.

New knife for sale: $124 Sold.

240mm (9.5") Masahiro western style Virgin Carbon Steel Gyuto.

Forged virgin carbon steel (2%)

Right handed, single bevel

pakkawood handle

HCR 61-62

MH13012.jpg

I ordered the wrong sized knife and can not be bothered to pay the shipping back to Japan and prefer that the hands of epicurean/professionals get first tickle rather than the opportunist perverts on Craigslist. It is being sold to cover the $124 cost(knife + shipping) and order anew. Received it Saturday and it has not been used. The blade is still coated in protective lube, so you know it’s fresh. The knife is still in its box and all the literature is in Japanese but I think it says: A wily technician blames their tools. With this one you will have no excuses for cuts rivaling those from a blind lumberjack.

Virgin or “white” carbon steel is not from recycled steel and is therefore purer/harder than “carbon steel” which is often a mix of recycled steel, though a metallurgist would be better able to offer and appreciate the different carbon percentages of white, blue and high carbon steel, the later more resistant to rust, but softer. The compromise of carbon steel is much harder steel that keeps a sharper edge, but requires mature and fundamental care to prevent rust (keep dry, oil the blade), though over time it will develop a characteristic patina. The right side of the blade is beveled and the spine is thin. Save the clunky German stainless for opening cans or clams, driving nails and bludgeoning poultry bones.

The knife was purchased from the owner of JapaneseChefknife via correspondence since it is not available on their website. Masahiro phased out rosewood handles a few years ago in favor of compressed wood (pakkawood layers impregnated with resin to ensure durability and a waterproof handle –very common now), but have begun to replace those with synthetic POM handles for some reason. As far as I know, Masahiro VC with compressed wood handles are only available elsewhere at Knifemerchant but at a higher price, and at PhoenixKinfeHouse though they only carry wood handles on the 270mm knife, the others are cheaper synshittic.

I will gladly answer any questions publicly or privately, accordingly.

Time to dust this thread off and put it to use once more...

I'm looking into buying some new knives. I've been working with a Forschner 8 inch Chef's for a while, but it feels too light to me now, and surprisingly too small. I've done some research over the past few days, and have been considering this.

I think the Cordon Bleu line has been discontinued, so I've found some pretty good prices online. Also, I'm figuring that since the blade is thinner than other Wusthofs, it'll probably be heavier than the Forschner but light compared to most German knives, which coupled with the lack of a bolster, could be nice. Has anybody used one and got comments? Or other suggestions for a 10 inch Chef's knife that'll come in at under $100?

I think the Cordon Bleu line has been discontinued, so I've found some pretty good prices online. Also, I'm figuring that since the blade is thinner than other Wusthofs, it'll probably be heavier than the Forschner but light compared to most German knives, which coupled with the lack of a bolster, could be nice.

I assume you're comparing to the Fibrox-handled Forschner (with its stamped blade) and not the forged Forschner chef (which is much heavier)? Since the Cordon Bleu was effectively a Wusthof built to emulate a Japanese knife, why not get the real thing?

An entry-level 240mm gyuto from Togiharu's 'Molybdenum' line is around $80 from any one of several reputable vendors, and will have the asymmetrical edge that makes a Japanese knife such a slicing machine. You'll pay a minor maintenance penalty: it's not stainless, so expect some staining from reactive ingredients if not immediately cleaned. And you'll need new sharpening skills, but they can be adapted to Western knives as well. Apply remaining funds towards a basic two-sided water stone. If Korin Trading still includes a sharpening lesson with your purchase, you could pick it up in person on your next NYC trip...at the end of the lesson it'll be sharper than when it left the factory.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

That's right, I've currently got the stamped Forschner. It's funny, I've read all the reviews about how it's such a great value for the money, but the thing just feels so flimsy...

The main reason I've been leaning toward Wusthof is simply trepidation when it comes to caring for Japanese knives, and uncertainty as to exactly how much better they are than their German counterparts. I've spent some time researching Japanese options, but there are so many within each price bracket that it seems almost impossible to decide.

Not considering price (since the Wusthof is available for under $80), will an entry level Togiharu really blow the Wusthof away by that much?

Yes, it will- I totally agree with Dave's advice. I have a 210 Togiharu Inox & it's been a workhorse, as well as a joy to use. Japanese knives generally have harder steel & will hold an edge better. Korin is great to order from & I'd love to have had the opportunity to take an in store sharpening session (I have the DVD, it's very helpful-you're welcome to borrow it, as well as any stones to test out). The Togiharu 1/4K stone is really all you'd need.

I'm the proud owner of the knife shown in post #101 and agree with the advice given here. But it's true that if you're looking for a relatively carefree knife, you might prefer a German one. They are extremely well-made implements, and although I love Japanese knives the Germans have their place. I tend to prefer them for meat work. You might also want to look at Messermeister, which puts out an excellent product. These and others, including Japanese brands, can be found at knifemerchant.com.

I've done some research over the past few days, and have been considering this.

FWIW, I have that knife (and have had it for years) and love it. It's well-balanced, holds an edge very well and is easily reasharpened. I can't compare it to the other knives discussed above, as I haven't used them, but do highly recommend the Wusthof. If it turns out the other knives are better for a similar price, well then that's a good dilemma to have. . .

I'm very bad at sharpening knives, and most commercial places won't touch the Japanese asymmetrical edges for sharpening. So for that reason, my Global sits in the drawer a lot while my Wusthofs get the workout. Love the weighting and balance on the 10", holds an edge for a good amount of time, and twice a year, Sur La Table sharpens it for free. ;)

And what lperry said - you really need to hold the knife in your hand before buying.

I'm very bad at sharpening knives, and most commercial places won't touch the Japanese asymmetrical edges for sharpening. So for that reason, my Global sits in the drawer a lot while my Wusthofs get the workout. Love the weighting and balance on the 10", holds an edge for a good amount of time, and twice a year, Sur La Table sharpens it for free. ;)

And what lperry said - you really need to hold the knife in your hand before buying.

Did you mean to imply that Globals are asymmetrical? They're not.

Interesting that I'm reading about asymmetrical knives (wouldn't know one before!), but I just got in 2 Victorinox knives; one carving/slicing that I *think* is asymmetrical (at least that's what my eyes see), and a bread knife.

I was watching America's Test Kitchen one day and thought "I've got to have one of those!". I researched the knives on their website, and looked at other reviews, and for the price, decided to buy.

I'll report back!

I'm trying not to look at this thread, because it makes me want to get a new knife (& I don't need any more)-but, if you want to browse online, here's a great site-ChefsKnivesToGo-I haven't ordered from them (yet), but Mark is a regular on Knifeforums (check out 'In the Kitchen') & they now offer out of the box sharpening by Dave Martell JKS. They have a great assortment, not just Japanese knives (although they're my favorites). I was trying to tell my son the other day, when he wanted to get a new lacrosse shaft & head, that it's the skills that make the player, not the equipment-he quickly came back & asked why I had so many knives....

So for that reason, my Global sits in the drawer a lot while my Wusthofs get the workout. Love the weighting and balance on the 10", holds an edge for a good amount of time, and twice a year, Sur La Table sharpens it for free. ;)

I love my 10" Wusthof as well. When is it that Sur La Table sharpens your Wusthofs for free?

I love my 10" Wusthof as well. When is it that Sur La Table sharpens your Wusthofs for free?

Twice a year (April, October?) is free knife sharpening month. Two blades of any size free, all others $1/inch, no purchase necessary. But you do have to leave them for a few days; they're too busy to do them on the spot (and not all stores do the sharpening in-house).

Based on a bunch of research I've been doing, and discussions with some insanely knowledgeable people on a few forums, I decided to postpone the new knife purchase in favor of a set of waterstones so that I can learn to freehand sharpen with my Forschner before buying something that I'd be more afraid to ruin. Went for the Naniwa Superstones -- 400, 1000, and 5000 grit -- as well as a flattening stone and a fine grit, ceramic honer (DMT CS2), from sharpeningsupplies.com.

This should be an interesting adventure.

Twice a year (April, October?) is free knife sharpening month. Two blades of any size free, all others $1/inch, no purchase necessary. But you do have to leave them for a few days; they're too busy to do them on the spot (and not all stores do the sharpening in-house).

I have a Shun knife sharpener but I think I prefer the service of professionals. Does Sur La Table sharpen all knives?

I have a Shun knife sharpener but I think I prefer the service of professionals. Does Sur La Table sharpen all knives?

They won't do serrated, asymetric, etc. blades. Other than that, there's no requirement that they sell the blade in order for them to sharpen it.

So I'm almost embarrassed to admit I have this problem, because it shows how little cooking I've been doing lately, but I came home tonight and discovered that my chef's knife has developed what appears to be spots of rust, which I'm assuming is from certain roommates not treating the blade very nicely. Is there any way to clean it up and still have it be usable? Is this the excuse I've been looking for to replace my knife?

So I'm almost embarrassed to admit I have this problem, because it shows how little cooking I've been doing lately, but I came home tonight and discovered that my chef's knife has developed what appears to be spots of rust, which I'm assuming is from certain roommates not treating the blade very nicely. Is there any way to clean it up and still have it be usable? Is this the excuse I've been looking for to replace my knife?

If it is a stainless steel knife, try cleaning it with some Barkeeper's Friend, a type of cleanser that works incredibly well on stainless and other metals, like copper. Great for cleaning pots that had food burnt in them. You can find it at hardware stores and Sur la Table.

If it is a stainless steel knife, try cleaning it with some Barkeeper's Friend, a type of cleanser that works incredibly well on stainless and other metals, like copper. Great for cleaning pots that had food burnt in them. You can find it at hardware stores and Sur la Table.

I buy it at the Safeway.

Now the owner of this guy, 240 mm style. Yet to put it to work, but will report back after tackling a few cases of onions, peppers, and tomatoes with it this weekend.

P.S. - Korin really is a fantastic vendor. Fast, efficient ordering process and delivery. And they're currently having a 15% sale on all knives.

Now the owner of this guy, 240 mm style. Yet to put it to work, but will report back after tackling a few cases of onions, peppers, and tomatoes with it this weekend.

P.S. - Korin really is a fantastic vendor. Fast, efficient ordering process and delivery. And they're currently having a 15% sale on all knives.

I'm seriously considering getting this knife (8+ or 9+") and am wondering if you or anyone could give feedback.

I'm seriously considering getting this knife (8+ or 9+") and am wondering if you or anyone could give feedback.

I don't have experience with that one in particular, but I would seriously consider calling them to see what non-advertised knives they have on hand. After a problem with an order for one of their Korin-branded Nenox clones I got a call from one of the owners offering this knife that was returned and needed the handle to be "reshaped" by their knife master. I ended up paying less than half of what it goes for new and I couldn't tell you for the life if me what was wrong with it.

Another thumbs up for Korin; one of these days I want to drop by their shop when I'm in NYC.

The time has come to address one of the great omissions in my kitchen knife collection: the lack of a heavy Chinese cleaver. I've had a light vegetable cleaver for years, but it's time to step up to the real deal, the mainstay of Chinese cooking.

There were plenty of cleavers available in the alleyways of Yangzhou (which is famous for its cutlery), and I'm sure I can find something in the aisles of Maxim, but I've been thinking about ordering one of the ones made in Kinmen (aka Jinmen or Quemoy) ROC, ostensibly from stainless artillery shell scrap. I know, it's not traditional plain carbon steel, but maintaining non-stainless is a pain. Opinions from any Chinese cleaver users here? Has the Maestro Wu brand really been overly diluted by production blacksmithing?

The time has come to address one of the great omissions in my kitchen knife collection: the lack of a heavy Chinese cleaver. I've had a light vegetable cleaver for years, but it's time to step up to the real deal, the mainstay of Chinese cooking.

There were plenty of cleavers available in the alleyways of Yangzhou (which is famous for its cutlery), and I'm sure I can find something in the aisles of Maxim, but I've been thinking about ordering one of the ones made in Kinmen (aka Jinmen or Quemoy) ROC, ostensibly from stainless artillery shell scrap. I know, it's not traditional plain carbon steel, but maintaining non-stainless is a pain. Opinions from any Chinese cleaver users here? Has the Maestro Wu brand really been overly diluted by production blacksmithing?

Masahiro makes an excellent cleaver, or is this too light for your needs?

My link

I'm sure the weight is perfect as Masahiro makes excellent blades, but it's a lot more than I'm hoping to spend.

Don't laugh at me, but when I cleaned out my mother's house, I grabbed her Joyce Chen cleaver and I just LOVE it. Mine is a somewhat older model than this one:

http://www.culinaryquarters.com/Joyce-Chen-Chinese-Kitchen-Knife-8Inch/A/B0000DE85P.htm

I could't find a good ceramic knife at Homegoods so I went to Sur La Table Pentagon City location. This trip was also for sharpening my knives. A set of Kyocera ceramic knives (1 chef and 1 paring - $65.95) were on sale. I made a test and liked it very much. After purchasing it, I found a set of Silvermark ceramic knives ($29.99) at Bed Bath and Beyond. Both of them are made in China and I didn't see a big point to keep the Kyocera one, so I bought the Silvermark one. I made a test at home and the Silvermark one gave me the same result. I will return the Kyocera one when I pick up my knives.

Does anybody know where I can get a knife blade cover/protector that would fit a meat cleaver? All I can find online seem to fit chef's knives but not cleavers.

I got lucky with a cleaver-ly worded Google search.

Try the following phrase: cleaver leather sheath

Or just cleaver sheath.

(i'll take words and phrases)

(that sound like something else)

(for a thousand, alex)

If all else fails, there's always corrugated cardboard and duct tape...

I still store my work-a-day Wusthof chef's knife in a cover made out of folded paper grocery bag pieces and packing tape. The top layer needs replacing every year or so as it frays, something a complete layer of duct tape would probably solve!

Does anybody know where I can get a knife blade cover/protector that would fit a meat cleaver? All I can find online seem to fit chef's knives but not cleavers.

Why wouldn't a regular plastic blade guard that fits a chef's knife of the same length fit a cleaver?

Why wouldn't a regular plastic blade guard that fits a chef's knife of the same length fit a cleaver?

You're right. It probably would. However, ideally I want to cover not just the blade edge but the entire surface of the cleaver.

June is free sharpening month again at Sur La Table. They now say they can do Asian and serrated blades, so I guess they've upgraded equipment, because they used to do only flat blades.

2 knives free, no purchase required. $1/inch for additional knives. Sometimes if I catch them the first week, they can do them on the spot, but usually you have to leave them for a couple of days.

June is free sharpening month again at Sur La Table. They now say they can do Asian and serrated blades, so I guess they've upgraded equipment, because they used to do only flat blades.

2 knives free, no purchase required. $1/inch for additional knives. Sometimes if I catch them the first week, they can do them on the spot, but usually you have to leave them for a couple of days.

WORD. Thanks for the tip. I'm going tomorrow. Taking the Wusthof and the Mac.

ol_i: Did you ever find something? It's time I purchased one - can anyone recommend two things:

1. A decent cleaver less than $100 for a woman with (lately) weak wrists? and

2. A sturdy knife for little man to start practice cutting veggies with?

Thanks!

ol_i: Did you ever find something? It's time I purchased one - can anyone recommend two things:

1. A decent cleaver less than $100 for a woman with (lately) weak wrists? and

2. A sturdy knife for little man to start practice cutting veggies with?

Thanks!

This is what my niece uses. She loves to help with cooking. http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Chef-3-Piece-Nylon-Knife/dp/B002Q5YH9C

I don't know how much my experience matters, because I was a careful child, but my Mom let me use the "real" knives, just having me chop with one hand on the handle, and another on top of the blade to guide it. This method prevents any fingers from coming under the blade.

I don't know how much my experience matters, because I was a careful child, but my Mom let me use the "real" knives, just having me chop with one hand on the handle, and another on top of the blade to guide it. This method prevents any fingers from coming under the blade.

That's what I would like to do but I only have a chefs and don't want him to practice on that. Should I get a santoku or is there something else? Thanks all!

JapaneseChefsKnife.com (I still haven't figured out to put in links w/ the new format) has a JCK Kagayaki cleaver in different sizes. They're a great company, w/ very good quality knives that they sell under their own name (as well as having an excellent selection of other great brands). Shipping is speedy, I've purchased several knives from them.

For a child's knife, Korin.com sells a Misono Child's knife, which is basically a small, rounded off santoku, but I think any kind of supervised practice w/ a smaller knife would be fine...

^ DC Deb - do you find the nylon knife a weak cut? I am not sure why I am concerned about the nylon not being a solid cut - I rather spend money on a "real" knife, maybe is my issue?

She cuts things that aren't too hard, like bell peppers, fruit, etc. She is probably ready to graduate to a "real" knife. The question is whether it's safe for her little brother to see her using one.

You know your child best. If your son understands how to be careful and use "bear claw" to hold food, a little santoku sounds cool.