MadCap Coffee, An Artisan Coffee Roaster Based in Grand Rapids - Opening in the DC Area

ad.mich just posted the below on the independent coffee house thread so all credit there and I'd thought I'd start a new topic to get us started.

Congratulations are in order for the folks from Peregrine and the DC branch of the new MadCap - both crews have individuals who advanced to the finals of the SERBC/Brewers Cup competition in Atlanta this weekend.

MadCap's entry into DC is big news for the local coffee scene. Currently served at Dolcezza, Buzz Bakery (and other NRG spots including Evening Star) and no doubt another spot or two (like a "penn quarter porter" brew at ChurchKey). Not sure that a specific address is yet available but should be soon since they were targeting "beginning of 2012" when first announced.

MadCap's October, 2011 announcement here

A more recent blogpost about a MadCap cupping at Woodberry Kitchen here

I'm guessing no lease is yet signed (no surprise if so given local zoning/permitting, eh? ;)) These guys should instantly join our top tier once open.

I'm getting more and more interested about MadCap as new information comes in. Here are three reasons to anticipate this shop whenever it clears the incessant hoops put up by all things DC permitting and zoning:

- great product done the right way from farmer relations, sourcing, roasting, distribution, storage and sale. product first. business second. that's the way!

- an unusual commitment to us here in DC. how often is it that a very popular purveyor from a smaller city (like Grand Rapids) would bypass SF, Pac NW, Chicago, and NYC to open up a 2nd location here? And, geez, they just this weekend came in 2nd (to Peregrine) for for the "Southeast Regional Barista Championships"

- heard on good authority today that they are also planning to open up a training center here in the District along with the shop. That would provide some relief for all the aspiring coffee makers and baristas who can't get on the schedule at Counter Culture's chronically overbooked training facility in Adams Morgan

Had opportunity to go to a MadCap "cupping" today and really enjoyed it. Trevor (MadCap's owner and Chief Coffee Guy) is as nice and humble as he is passionate and expert about all things coffee. Likewise Colin, the master brewer who recently joined from Milwaukee-based Altera. I think MadCap has a very good chance to succeed because they seem to have very serious and dual foci on product and customer service. For that reason, they're also great people from whom to learn.

I don't have a great sense for how many people out there in the dr ether are very interested in coffee but maybe I'll propose a dr event to do this and if we get any response, should be able to make it happen. If interested, stay tuned for that on the events board or can PM me.

Today I was treated to perfectly brewed cups of:

- El Roble (Cedral de Acosta, Tarrazu region of Costa Rica). I'd had this before at some of the several MadCap outposts here in town. To me, it's a deep, smooth and thoroughly satisfying coffee. Notes say "cherry, orange and milk chocolate"

- Kochere (Ethiopia) Another one I've been enjoying lately as Dolcezza has been carrying this. To me, very clean, medium bodied and drinkable.

- Gishamwana (Rwanda). Maybe my least fave of the several we tried. Notes say "tobacco, cherry and caramel" (all great things, eh?) but I only tasted the tobacco. Tobacco doesn't do it as much for me in a drink but maybe a smoker would like it more? :-)

- Ardi (Guji, Sidama region of Ethiopia). The most interesting of the lot. This is an unusual natural processed (dried in the sun on raised beds with "fruit still intact to the bean") coffee. Very sweet and intense flavor that I really enjoyed though maybe best in smaller quantities. Notes say "burst of flavor containing strawberry, honey and milk chocolate" and I could mostly discern those flavors for a change.

- Santa Lucia (Costa Rica). MadCap has been buying from this grower for 5 years and has a very close relationship allowing them dibs on a certain section of plants on the plantation. Notes say "deep aroma, juicy tropical fruit, sweet, baking spice finish" and I get the aroma, sweet and spice parts of that. Have had this a lot in the past and enjoy it.

MadCap is getting closer to announcing its first DC cafe but, for now, they can be had at NRG outposts like Buzz and Evening Star, Dolcezza and Baked and Wired in Georgetown. Excellent product and great people generous with their knowledge and patient with any type/level of interest.

If nothing else, tasting several quality coffees like this side-by-side makes one appreciate how the same bean, region, processing method, brew method or roasting approach can can produce very different flavors in the cup when just one of the variables is tweaked. All the more reason why a little knowledge is helpful and why maybe chossing shops with owners and baristas you like can be more satisfying and consistent than trying to zero in on one or more of those other attributes. Again, please PM me if you're interested in a DR cupping. If there is even a modicum of interest, I'll be happy to organize something for us.

Seeing as there has been a "modicum of interest," now planning a DR event with MadCap here.

Also, when I first created this thread, it was shortly after I'd begun buying MadCap semi-regularly and one coffee in particular, a Salvadoran called Porvenir, which may be my favorite from these guys. it's seasonal but available once again around town now.

Tasting Notes: Big Body, sweet, citrus, chocolate and caramel

and other information here if interested.

Quick note to thank EVERYONE who was at today's MadCap Coffee "Bean to Cup" event.

I've locked** the topic under events to channel any feedback or comments here to MadCap's main topic.

Thanks most of all to Trevor Corlett for teaching us so much about the coffee business, coffee itself, about how to grind, brew and enjoy it and about his own path in coffee leading to the launch of MadCap in 2008. So hospitable and appreciated, Trevor! I know I speak for all of us in saying we can't wait to walk into the first MadCap DC outpost once it comes together.

Today we tasted two great Columbian coffees grown by two Reinoso brothers who own nearby farms at slightly different elevations. Great how Trevor was able to tell us all about the growers from his own experience building direct relationships with them.

Finally, we tasted a wonderful, full, smooth and chocolatey Guatemalan that also had a great story. Seems that grower hadn't ever sold directly to a buyer that used his coffee/sold it to consumers before MadCap. Also, as Trevor explained to us, the grower (like many others) didn't drink his own coffee. So, he was amazed and grateful when he saw his name on the MadCap bag and tasted (for the first time) his own coffee. Lacking a name for his farm, he asked MadCap to pick one. And so "Aguas Altas" was born. This was probably my fave of the day though I really enjoyed all three.

Finally, thanks to Zora, ad.mich, ad.mich's + 1*, BillAdler, billadler's +1*, Jason*, Federico*, DanielK's +1*, cheezepowder, choirgirl21, olivelady, iolaire, Susan*, and chewster for coming, asking great questions and making the day a success.

* Not (yet) DR members -- hint, hint :)

** For those newer to dr.com, "locked" means the other thread is still readable but now closed to new posts so feel free to post here!

A big thank you to Darkstar965 for doing a great job of organizing this event and to Trevor for doing it. As mentioned above, Trevor has an incredible wealth of knowledge and I learned so much today. I'm also left with more questions than I started with, but that just translates to an increased desire to learn more about coffee. There are so many parallels between wine and coffee, from the agriculture to the different options for processing, roasting and blending, that I am totally fascinated.

Side note - sorry I had to rush out at the last minute. I could have sat there for hours longer listening to Trevor, but I really had to catch that metro. :)

And I look forward to that pop-up Madcap is going to do in Laurel. Can't wait!*

*For anyone who might actually be gullible enough to think that's true, I kid. :P

Also wanted to say thank you again to Trevor and darkstar965. I'm impressed by and admire Trevor's passion for coffee. I enjoyed hearing the stories about the farmers behind the coffee beans and learning things like why coffee bean bags have vents or how to make coffee at home.

Now I see why darkstar965, in his posts above, exuded so much enthusiasm for their upcoming store in DC.

For anyone who wants to go to a tasting, Trevor said they have tastings on Thursdays. There's basic info about the tastings in this blog post at http://madcapcoffee.com/experience/blog/madcap-dc-tastings/ and check their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/madcapcoffee.

Thanks to Trevor for his time and knowlege, as well as to darkstar965 for organizing this event. Going down the rabbit hole of coffee knowledge can be every bit as daunting/pretentious as wine, beer, whiskey, etc. Trevor had no problem answering our junior varsity questions as well as going in depth on some other topics. It was really an informative afternoon.

Oh, and Madcap's product is really really good.

Thank you so much to all who came out, listened to me ramble about coffee and Madcap, and tasted some coffee with me. I realize for some of you that may have been a lot of repeat information for you and for others it may have been a bit too much information in one sitting. I had intended on keeping it casual however the size and diversity of the group would probably have benefited more from a structured talk and tasting. Thank you again for attending and thank you darkstar965 for organizing everything. If any one is interested in more information or tasting more coffee please feel free to attend one of our free Thursday evening tastings. We have one tomorrow evening at 4:30, same place and it will last just around an hour. We keep these pretty small and intimate and try to taste around 4/5 coffees. Tomorrow evening will be fun because we'll be focusing on the siphon brewing method. If you can attend please rsvp by emailing us at dc at madcapcoffee.com

Thanks again all and I hope to see you in the near future at a coffee bar near you.

cheers

~Trevor, Madcap Coffee

Thank you so much to all who came out, listened to me ramble about coffee and Madcap, and tasted some coffee with me. I realize for some of you that may have been a lot of repeat information for you and for others it may have been a bit too much information in one sitting. I had intended on keeping it casual however the size and diversity of the group would probably have benefited more from a structured talk and tasting. Thank you again for attending and thank you darkstar965 for organizing everything. If any one is interested in more information or tasting more coffee please feel free to attend one of our free Thursday evening tastings. We have one tomorrow evening at 4:30, same place and it will last just around an hour. We keep these pretty small and intimate and try to taste around 4/5 coffees. Tomorrow evening will be fun because we'll be focusing on the siphon brewing method. If you can attend please rsvp by emailing us at dc at madcapcoffee.com

Thanks again all and I hope to see you in the near future at a coffee bar near you.

cheers

~Trevor, Madcap Coffee

And, for the 4000-10000 dr unique dr.com visitors who weren't at the MadCap donrrockwell tasting last week, meet Trevor, MadCap's founder and new dr.com member. Welcome to the board, Trevor! And best of luck as you plant the MadCap flag here in DC. :)