Midweek DR.com HH at Dino Cleveland Park 5-7pm Wed Mar 7th

ctay122

I've arranged for us to have a midweek HH on Wed March 7th from 5-7 pm at Dino (Cleveland Park Metro). We will have the table in the grotto behind the bar as well as free space at the bar. The Happy hour deals will include $5.00 drinks, a $5 wine, $18 bottles etc. Antipasti are $3 off. I'll remind everyone as the time gets closer!

If anyone is interested in staying for dinner, perhaps we could get a table going....

I want to thank Dean Gold and the top-notch staff at Dino for welcoming us to the DR.com Happy Hour tonight. A small but quite enthusiastic group gathered around the bar to connect (or reconnect) with each other, have some delightful drinks and sample some truly amazing bar snacks and appetizers. Of course, this being Dino, duck fat and other products made a welcome appearance. The duck liver pate was a revelation! We also happened to meet representatives of another food website at the bar: two of the founders of dmvburgerwars.com, who are on a mission to rate all the burgers in town on "objective" criteria (if I were a certain Top Chef winner, I would be very afraid). I'm happy to tell you that Dino's burger got the top 5 star rating from them, and even happier to say that when Dean got wind of all this, he sent us a lovely platter of sliders for purposes of comparison (or just because he's a nice guy).

This was my first Dr.com Happy Hour, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next. I encourage anyone who has the inclination and the time to attend one. Or even to plan one! I am delighted to have met new friends, who all seem as food-obsessed as I am, and to have the opportunity to find out from Dean just how long his risotto rice is aged (who knew?)

I want to thank Dean Gold and the top-notch staff at Dino for welcoming us to the DR.com Happy Hour tonight. A small but quite enthusiastic group gathered around the bar to connect (or reconnect) with each other, have some delightful drinks and sample some truly amazing bar snacks and appetizers. Of course, this being Dino, duck fat and other products made a welcome appearance. The duck liver pate was a revelation! We also happened to meet representatives of another food website at the bar: two of the founders of dmvburgerwars.com, who are on a mission to rate all the burgers in town on "objective" criteria (if I were a certain Top Chef winner, I would be very afraid). I'm happy to tell you that Dino's burger got the top 5 star rating from them, and even happier to say that when Dean got wind of all this, he sent us a lovely platter of sliders for purposes of comparison (or just because he's a nice guy).

This was my first Dr.com Happy Hour, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next. I encourage anyone who has the inclination and the time to attend one. Or even to plan one! I am delighted to have met new friends, who all seem as food-obsessed as I am, and to have the opportunity to find out from Dean just how long his risotto rice is aged (who knew?)

What a nice post! Thanks for the report. We were bummed to have missed this after planning to be there. Looking forward to the next opportunity!

Yes, thank you Dean Gold for hosting our small group and providing all the treats! The duck liver pate was amazing, as well as the crispy duck fat. And Rick the bartender was friendly and made amazing bellinis and other libations for us. Unfortunately my better half was ill and could not attend but I stayed with the others and had dinner (meatballs and mussels with pasta). It was nice to get out again (my first HH in years) and reconnect with some DR members. Hoping HH will revive itself!

Hoping HH will revive itself!

I was just talking about this today with a valued, long-term member. I told him the #1 thing I miss about this website is that it's used more as a "resource" than a community - I understand that Facebook has destroyed a lot of communities, and I think that's pretty much what happened here in terms of the HH get-togethers, but I still want that aspect back, badly. It was *so* satisfying to see people going out and having a good time together.

Cheers,

Rocks

When there was a regular HH a few years back, there were a core group of some of the "original" members who all worked downtown. I recently polled a bunch of the people who used to be in that near-weekly HH group - almost none of them work downtown anymore.

So it might not be the board changing as much as the fact that many of that particular group are now working in the burbs.