7 replies to this topic

#1 Kev29

Kev29

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

What about Bagel City in Rockville? 1. Their bagels are not the size of frisbees and not doughy (think Einstein or Chesapeake). 2. The crust is crispy with a great bite. 3. The inside has a great chew, not too soft, not too hard. Downside: servers/cashiers are rude, but worth the aggravation. PS, the bialys are great too (but extremely oniony-I dump out the onions when I get home).

I live close to both Goldbergs and Bagel City and I prefer the latter. I agree with your assessment on the crust/chew factor. Tasty, good size. Goldbergs are a little too bloated though I do like the taste. Funny enough, I actually find the service to be quick and very friendly at Bagel City when I go on a Saturday or Sunday morning - while I feel like I've gotten a colder shoulder at Goldbergs. But I'm not too fussed, they're just fetching 6 bagels out of bins for me. Oh and the 'Saturday' part of Bagel City is a plus for this gentile.

#2 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

FYI, their website says they've been open "for 35 years" which would make them one of the oldest restaurants in the DC area. I don't remember them ever not being there - does anyone know the year they opened so I can accurately put them in this thread?

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#3 mbpoms

mbpoms

shrimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

A Rockville institution.

#4 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

A Rockville institution.

Sigh, but not for long. I just got a text message (from a trusted source) that says, "Bagel City will be closing as shopping center is going away. :("

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#5 mtureck

mtureck

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sigh, but not for long. I just got a text message (from a trusted source) that says, "Bagel City will be closing as shopping center is going away. :("

Damn...I was hoping that the Walmart deal was going to fall through....do we really need that right across from Target?

http://rockville.pat...e-pike-wal-mart

My son's gonna be sad when Cici's goes away. My arteries, no so much.

#6 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Mostly I'm going to hate what it does to the traffic... Ouch.

#7 hm212

hm212

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hopefully Rockville will get smart and not allow this...

http://www.bizjourna...with-mixed.html

#8 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hopefully Rockville will get smart and not allow this...

http://www.bizjourna...with-mixed.html

Rockville needs a Wal-Mart like Tysons Corner needs a Mall of America.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users