4 replies to this topic

#1 alwayshungry

alwayshungry

jumbo shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Any tips on where to find leaf lard? Preferably from a local source..

Want to experiment with it in pie crusts.

#2 chaofun

chaofun

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Ecofriendly, at the Arlington and Dupont farmers market has it, though you most likely will have to special request it. Cody at the Westover Market butcher should be able to get you some too. Both would be local.

#3 Anna Blume

Anna Blume

fruit bat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I had to render my own leaf lard from kidney fat that a customer special ordered from Eco-Friendly, but never bothered to pick up. Quite good, but honestly, any lard from a farmer whose pork you buy would be worth using for pies, especially since you've never tried it before. The topic's been covered before at Donrockwell.com, so check the exhaustive Shopping and Cooking index Leleboo compiled. Good prices at North Mountain Pastures and Cedarbrook. More costly given meager amount, but perfect for a curious newbie, you could try the organic lard from Evensong Farm, too. FYI, when Many Rocks Farms recovers from kidding season and returns to its markets, Jeannie now raises mulefoot pigs, aka lard pigs, though I haven't seen her sell lard, yet.

#4 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Three Little Pigs, the new charcuterie store on Georgia Ave, carries it. They have leaf lard from Evensong Farm in their display case today.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#5 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Three Little Pigs, the new charcuterie store on Georgia Ave, carries it. They have leaf lard from Evensong Farm in their display case today.

Thanks for the heads up! I went there and bought some today.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lard pork, pigs, pies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users