Stage Burger Lounge, Downtown Silver Spring - From the Owners of Mrs. K's and Pacci's - Closed

Just opened up Friday night in the old Sabroso spot after an absurdly short turnaround. That, or Sabroso was closed for longer than I realized.

Anyways, it's burgers (duh) in a counter-service setting, owned by Spiro Gioldasis of Mrs. K's, Pacci's, and Pacci's. Being so close to the Fillmore, they're going for a rock theme to everything, including the burger names. The door says they'll be open "late," whatever that means (but it's a huge win for DTSS if they're truly going to be open late - the whole area dies by 9 or 10. Menu is attached.

Aside from hating the "witty" names for the specialty burgers, my curiosity is piqued.
stage-burger-menu-1000-thumb.png

Menu is attached.

Thanks for posting this, fuzzy. I cannot overemphasize the importance of posting opening menus on this website. It provides a historical perspective of original pricing, especially the longer a restaurant stays open. It's hugely important, and I really appreciate people who post or even scan these menus in. It's a wonderful, wonderful point of reference.

A great opening post, with my sincere gratitude.

Cheers,

Rocks

I'm not really one to bury a place so close to their opening, so we'll call my meal here......discouraging? Does that work?

Medium-well burger on an unremarkable bun that was pretty much just a vehicle for OK toppings, and the most absolutely flavorless hush puppies I've ever had in my life - seriously, there's no chance that any seasoning came close to being in or on them. Wait was pretty long (20 minutes) for the couple of customers that they had at the time, but I expect that while still ironing out the kinks.

Like I said, I can't write off the place after just one visit (especially when said visit was less than 48 hours after their opening) and will return, but I'm not really excited to go back.

I'm not really one to bury a place so close to their opening, so we'll call my meal here......discouraging? Does that work?

Medium-well burger on an unremarkable bun that was pretty much just a vehicle for OK toppings, and the most absolutely flavorless hush puppies I've ever had in my life - seriously, there's no chance that any seasoning came close to being in or on them. Wait was pretty long (20 minutes) for the couple of customers that they had at the time, but I expect that while still ironing out the kinks.

Like I said, I can't write off the place after just one visit (especially when said visit was less than 48 hours after their opening) and will return, but I'm not really excited to go back.

Three months later, and some things have improved. The wait is down to what you would expect, and my burger was cooked to temperature.

With that said, those are the ONLY things that have improved. The meat has a strange, mush-like consistency to it, almost as if it arrives frozen. (And I don't know that it does, but if I'm wrong and Stage is using fresh ground beef, they've GOT to look at how they're prepping their patties). The hushpuppies are still totally flavorless. There might be other sides that are worthwhile, but the burger itself is bad enough for me to say that you should steer clear.

Tried this place because we couldn't wait for a table at Ray's having the kids in tow. Waiting for Ray's would have been worth it even if the kids got unwieldy beyond belief.

Burgers were way over salted and overcooked. Medium was a perfect well done. Took forever for food to come out and clearly some discontent between the one server and the kitchen staff. Took over 30 minutes for the chicken wings to come out, and then only one plate of two. The other one came out after the rest of the food. And then our daughter's hot dog came out last of 6 items, after a plate of uncooked chicken that was sent back. The coup de grace was the cook eating his dinner at the last booth wearing the gloves he had been wearing while cooking in the kitchen and proceeding back to work with those same gloves. It took a lot to keep from throwing up my dinner after seeing that. BTW, we were the only other table besides a couple who came in about 15 minutes after us, and received their burgers before we got our wings.

DO NOT EAT HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!

• Like 1

Walked by heading in to work today to discover that Stage Burger Lounge is closed.  And after doing some research, it apparently had been for about two months.  Goes to show you how much I cared about the place.

I've heard rumors that there was an ownership change after some major licensing issues cropped up, but I can't confirm that.  What I can confirm is that at some point, they attempted to turn the place into a quasi-nightclub on weekends to go along with the horrible food.  Basically, it was the textbook definition of a shitshow.

Apparently I get to both open and close the discussion on this place.  Yay?