The Coterie - Floating Dining Club Launches In DC

ol_ironstomach

WaPo reports on the launch of The Coterie DC, a membership-based dining club that partners with a small pool of local high-end restaurants to offer members-only tasting menu events. For a fee of $42/mo, members get access to $135/seat special five-course menus at partner restaurants, three monthly cocktail parties (guests $45/ea additional), and 20% off seven-course menus (price not announced). Founder Jill Richmond has based the concept on her previous project, the London-based "Number 68 Project", which conducted an inaugural pop-up event last year in DC.

The launch partner restaurants are a very credible bunch: Fiola, Birch & Barley, 701, PS7, Bibiana, and 42º Catering; the beverage partners are equally impressive: Gina Chersevani, Greg Engert, Jon Harris, and ex-Fiola somm Theo Rutherford.

Clearly, there's a market among well-heeled socialites for concierge-guided dining events - the pop-up reportedly had over 200 applicants for 45 seats at $155 each. More power to 'em. For the rest of us, if at least the dining territory sounds familiar, just think of what a bargain the open-to-all DR dining events have been...and consider putting one together at your local favorite spot.

Am I missing something here?

$135 for 5 courses doesn't make it sound like you're getting an amazing deal.

Is that inclusive of Tax & Gratuity? Or Beverage?

Not to mention the $42/mo fee. Looks like you pay for the privilege of exclusivity. Looks like it's time to start thinking about a dr.com dinner somewhere...

No doubt these folks will enjoy wonderful dinners, but it's the exclusivity that draws them as much as the food. Hey, if they want to pay to feel like they are part of a club with a certain cachet and bragging rights, let them spend their money on whatever brings them joy.

I like this club better :) My investment gives prime returns.

Am I missing something here?

$135 for 5 courses doesn't make it sound like you're getting an amazing deal.

Is that inclusive of Tax & Gratuity? Or Beverage?

I believe that includes tax and gratuity, with pairings running an additional $30. The portion of that price attributable to that certain je ne sais quoi is left as an exercise for the reader. ;)