The Pretzel Bakery, Homemade Pretzels and Sandwiches Now Re-Open at 15th and C Street SE near Potomac Ave. Metro

Yesterday I picked up a few warm pretzels at the newly opened Pretzel Bakery on 15th Street, SE (340 15th Street; cross street: D). I got three for $5. They are otherwise $2 a piece, and 12 for $15, if you want to buy in bulk. The pretzels were quite good, though a little softer and not quite as elongated as my memories of Philadelphia pretzels go. I didn't buy any mustards, since I figured I had those at home.

It's a nice little space, just a walk-up stand. It's the next block down from Crepes on the Corner. You can spot the bakery by the red awning outside. The woman working behind the counter was pleasant and friendly.

Today I saw this story about the business from the Post and discovered that yesterday was National Pretzel Day! :lol: The article has more details about the bakery and its owner.

This is their website: http://thepretzelbakery.com/

The Pretzel Bakery has added breakfast sandwiches to their menu:  bacon, egg, and cheese on an everything pretzel slider roll.  This is a mighty fine breakfast sandwich, compact, straightforward, and delicious.  The egg is the dominant part of the filling but the the strip of thin bacon and bit of cheese are good supporting players.  And, of course, there's the pretzel.

Since it's maybe only 5 bites, it doesn't seem like such a big indulgence, but it gives a solid hit of protein-fat-carbs.  I feel silly waxing poetic over a breakfast slider, but this is a good reason to detour by if in the area.  Served until noon.  $3 each or 2 for $5.

Hours:  Wednesday to Friday:  8 - 6; Saturday:  9 - 6; Sunday: 9 - 5.

This wasn't exactly what one might typically think of as dining, but I enjoyed a steaming, fresh from the oven pretzel (they came out as I approached the counter) from the Pretzel Bakery a little while ago.  I stood by one of the outdoor benches under an umbrella, satisfied a carb craving and watched the big puffy snowflakes come down.

I don't think a couple of outside benches really qualify it as a restaurant, but they do technically have some seating.  It's the first time I've stopped in a while when there hasn't been a line.

• Like 1

I don't care if anyone calls it "dining" or a "restaurant" - it's just fun and delicious!  :P  It's a wonder I don't stop by every day - we are right around the corner, and I love the simple joy of a hot pretzel.  Hubby and I actually had their breakfast sliders today, which were quite yummy and well seasoned.  They are 2 for $5, and the only downside is that they are small (I should have figured from the name "sliders").  Next time, I will eat two!

• Like 1

Pretzel Bakery will be moving to the vacated Curbside Cafe space down the block at the corner of 15th and C Sts., SE, sometime in January.  The woman I asked said that there is not a firm date set, but it will be after the holidays. Since it will have sit-down space then, it should get a thread in the restaurant forum.

They're getting pretty close to opening at the new location.  I've been watching the work go on for some time.  A few days ago, I saw tables and chairs stacked up inside.  Today I see that they have their logo up on the windows (it looks very cool) and signs on the outside of the (repainted) exterior.  

Via a neighborhood listserv:

The Pretzel Bakery is usually closed on Monday's but we decided to open up tonight for the trick or treaters! We'll be open from 5pm-7:30pm with our hot chocolate and coffee and cold drinks, as well as our pretzels and Pretzel Bombs. To top it off, anyone in costume will get a free pretzel! 

On January 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Pat said:

Walking by the other day, I saw they have an ABC application in the window.  I didn't look closely, so I don't know any details.  Beer, I would guess?  

It's a retailer's class "D" restaurant license, so beer and wine.  The hearing is February 27th.