Takoma Bistro, Laurel Avenue in Takoma Park - From the Owners of Bread and Chocolate - Closed

Downtown Takoma Park's dining options continued to expand with the opening a week ago of Takoma Bistro, operated by the Bread and Chocolate people. Taking over the ill fated Everyday Gourmet, with some art and a little remodeling they've transformed the space into a warm and inviting cafe that also has outside seating, open seven days a week for three meals a day. a beer and wine license is expected in about a week. Right now the place opens early, at 6:30 well ahead of competitors like Capital City Cheesecake (7:30, weekdays) and Marks Kitchen (9:00, weekdays).

The breakfast menu includes eggs, waffles and pancakes (like Mark's, no hot cereal), lunch and dinner offer a wide variety of sandwiches, side and entree salads, burgers and the like, examples of more substantial entrees include chicken pot pie, moussaka, salmon and a flat iron steak. An expresso machine is turning out some great coffee and espresso based drinks.

My companion and I went in for a late lunch. She had a tuna melt, but strangely the cheese was under the tuna, not melted on top as per the menu. She thought the accompanying side salad was ok, but boring. I had the burger, beautifully cooked and very good. The shoestring fries were a little overcooked. We finished with a latte and a cappuccino, both exceptional. Friends at a table nearby really enjoyed their salmon salad.

The place has been slammed since it opened, and the staff is definitely still finding its way, so involved with working out details of the operation that sometimes customers get ignored. Procedures have to be worked out, and someone needs to keep an eye on the floor at all times. But the community has clearly welcomed Takoma Bistro, and the staff knows there are many rough edges and is working to correct them. Hopefully it will not only bring another option but some synergy to the growing Takoma dining scene.

6923 Laurel Avenue, at present 6:30AM to 9 pm.

We end up re-trying Bread & Chocolate every few years usually because we're stuck somewhere nearby with limited time and it's the only option. We've never coming out especially excited about it or even with the intention to return. Just too mediocre too consistently.

It'd be great if this is shooting higher from a quality standpoint. Definitely cool it has been so popular since opening and, of course, any new spot needs to time to get to steady cruising altitude Will be very interested to hear how people like it as it gets its sea legs. A decent quality breakfast option would be a real boon not only to Takoma Park but also to the surrounding area in MD and DC.

We end up re-trying Bread & Chocolate every few years usually because we're stuck somewhere nearby with limited time and it's the only option.

What a great name though, right? Bread & Chocolate. It just sounds so, so ... appealing, in an artsy-fartsy way.

There is hope: Il Canale is owned by Joe's Pizza & Pasta. (Speaking of which, I had two more wonderful pizzas at Pie-Tanza this evening - how can such a crummy restaurant churn out such consistently good pizzas?)

Back on topic, and sorry for the diversion.

Luv,

Violet Balz

What a great name though, right? Bread & Chocolate. It just sounds so, so ... appealing, in an artsy-fartsy way.

There is hope: Il Canale is owned by Joe's Pizza & Pasta. (Speaking of which, I had two more wonderful pizzas at Pie-Tanza this evening - how can such a crummy restaurant churn out such consistently good pizzas?)

Back on topic, and sorry for the diversion.

Luv,

Violet Balz

A brief but further digression prompted by your post. Ideas for two new topics I don't want to start:

1. dr.com members best posts that sent others enthusiastically to google where they were serendipitously informed, entertained or both (clearly many by Landrum, Rocks, et al). Violet Balz? Manitowicz, Wisconsin? Huh :huh:

2. Good or great restaurants owned by the proprietors of bad or mediocre restaurants. I'd have though this a very short list but one member already.

Maybe I'm too PC, but the Bread and Chocolate thing is carried a little to far when it comes to server's uniforms. The women all wear red t-shirts that sayon the front "Chocolate Girl", and the males "Bread Boy". When I see African-American employees that have to wear these, its makes me cringe.

Maybe I'm too PC, but the Bread and Chocolate thing is carried a little to far when it comes to server's uniforms. The women all wear red t-shirts that sayon the front "Chocolate Girl", and the males "Bread Boy". When I see African-American employees that have to wear these, its makes me cringe.

If I were the owner, I would call together every person of color, and have a meeting explaining my concerns. Then, I would leave the room, and let them discuss it for as long as they need to, and decide on a thumbs up, or a thumbs down regarding the t-shirts. And if it's thumbs down - perhaps even one single thumb down - management should, without question, and without hesitation, get rid of the t-shirts. I'm quite certain this is an inadvertent mistake, but regardless, things such as this should be discussed in private, and without any fear of repercussion, by the group potentially being offended. I do not assume that management isn't also of color in this case, but especially if they aren't, this employees-only meeting needs to occur.

This is how I'd handle it. I'd be interested in hearing how others would.

Cheers,

Rocks

This is how I'd handle it. I'd be interested in hearing how others would.

If I were a Bread and Chocolate employee, I'd have a shirt made that said "bread person" and wear it to work. If it were met with anything other than graciousness by any superior, I would retain a lawyer, collect a handsome check, and find a better job.

If I were a Bread and Chocolate employee, I'd have a shirt made that said "bread person" and wear it to work. If it were met with anything other than graciousness by any superior, I would retain a lawyer, collect a handsome check, and find a better job.

This is exactly what I *didn't* want to do - start a controversy when there probably is none. I'm willing to bet that this is completely innocent, and only after it's pointed out might management see that it could be a sensitive issue. Let's all please give people the benefit of the doubt - the immensely vast percentage of us all want peace, and to treat our brothers and sisters with respect. In no way am I faulting Bread & Chocolate for what I suspect is a harmless gaffe.

I don't think Bread and Chocolate is doing anything malicious, just dumb. Right or wrong (probably the latter), any reference to gender or race (even if inadvertent) is a potential liability. The "gaffe" is kinda funny, though. I hope that someone at Bread and Chocolate would see that if it were pointed out in the way I suggest. Otherwise, they really are just the sort of "souless corporation" that they are trying, through the shirts, to appear not to be.

If this is offensive to the employees & our community, I have faith that we will express it to the company. In the mean time, most of us are thankful for their investment in our neighborhood and the jobs they are providing. They hired the daughter of a good v friend who has struggled with learning disabilities. I'll patronize them.no matter what.

well back on the subject of food, I've eaten there twice in the past month. The food wasn't very memorable. The first time I had a Ham & Brie Baguette served with the unremarkable fries and a delicious garlic aioli. The second time I had a turkey avocado on a croissant with quinoa salad seved as a side dish. Both of the sandwiches were good but not especially memorable. The highlight was my husband ordering these amazing ham and swiss cheese crepes served with this addictive honey mustard sauce

This was posted on the TakomaDC listserve regarding the new place:

Kin Da Thai and Sushi Restaurant will be opening in Takoma at 6923 Laurel
Ave, Takoma Park, MD in the space formerly occupied by Takoma Bistro. This
will be the second location for experienced restaurateur, Somjet
Prompharsit and partner, Chanpen Teeranon. The team's original location,
Aroi Thai, in the Bloomingdale neighborhood of DC has been a popular part
of the community for the past two years. The restaurant will have
approximately 60 seats and a beer and wine bar. Additionally, Kin Da will
offer catering, delivery and carry-out options to its customers. Opening
February 2014. http://aroithaidc.com

Laura Barclay | executive director
Old Takoma Business Association