Lunch near the Arboretum or Gallaudet University

Rieux

Headed to the arboretum an then to home depot later and want to make use of the excursion to have lunch somewhere different, that we wouldn't usually go to. Any suggestions in that area of DC? I know of Deli City (have not been) but any others? And, is there any seating at deli city? We are willing to drive a bit. Thanks!

You could have ribs at Mr P's, though on a day like this that probably means eating in your car. You could also just make the short drive down to Florida Ave from Home Depot and then you've got all the U Street corridor and Shaw places near there. Big Bear for light fare and coffees?

I can't vouch for it personally, but one of these days I want to try to MGM Roast Beef - it's near the Arboretum and Home Depot. Unfortunately I'm never in the neighborhood during their open hours, but it kind of seems like one of those those no-frills deli/sandwich shops that are common in the Northeast but for the most part absent in DC. (I don't eat meat anymore, but they have a veggie burger, so I can just go and inhale the roast beef aroma...)

I think it may have only counter seating though, definitely not a sit down for a group kind of place.

Not sure if you are going over the weekend or weekday. But the Arboreum is made for picnicing. I would stop by A. Literi's beforehand for a sandwich, and either head to the state trees (official picnicing site) or head to the dogwoods area.

We ended up at A. Litteri's. Totally awesome experince. Brought the sandwiches to the grassy bank of the Anacostia accessible via the path in the Asian section of the Arbortum. Spread a blanket and had a marvelous time. A 9" sandwich for $5.95 is a bargain, and they travel well. Thanks, everyone!