2 replies to this topic

#1 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I figure if I'm not exactly clear on this, then it's a good bet others aren't either, so rather than just Googling or asking a friend, I thought I'd make this a public discussion.

Can anyone provide a primer (either linking to one, or writing one) that can point out the basic similarities and differences between these two regional cuisines?

I kind-of, sort-of get it when I see it, but not really, and I want to dig deeper and learn more.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,
Rocks

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#2 discojing

discojing

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'll ask around! My dad's side of the family is from Guandong, though I don't think they'll be much help since they've been in the states a while.
Edible Adventures & Cultural Explorations - http://hapatite.com

#3 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Primer: you won't really get Hong Kong cooking here in the DC-area. I think the only thing around here that is really Hong Kong cooking is dim sum or breakfast at Maria's Rockville that you find like in HK, while the rest gets lumped into Cantonese cuisine. (See also 40 HK foods -- this is what you'll find in HK Chinese food that you don't always see here.)

Brief history: Canton used to be a major trading hub but fell victim to war times, so many of the fine chefs hitched a ride to Hong Kong. In the beginning, most of HK cuisine was Cantonese style. But over the years, HK became a hub of infused cooking (See Tai Ping Koon history as a sample), influenced by Shanghai, Canton, Taiwan, other parts of China and Western style cooking because many investors and entrepreneurs settled there, developing a need for restaurants and different tastes.

It is really hard to describe and does end up being a "you know it when you see it." I mean, HK has a Michelin-starred Italian restaurant!

*Official(?) Primer: Cnngo.com

**A little OT, but I really like this article: 31 dishes: A Guide to China's Regional Specialities (It does captures a lot of the locally-well-known dishes that you can't find here).

***Of course, this is just one interpretation and viewpoint...
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese, Hong Kong, Cantonese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users