Crabs Cakes and More in Baltimore

Hey all,

We'll be in Baltimore on Sat.-Sun. this weekend and are looking for a) a great place for crabcakes (yes, I know it's not the season) and B) some lunch/dinner suggestions. We might try to get into Woodberry Kitchen, but I don't have any ideas about the other meals. We're staying downtown at the Hilton and would like things to be close by if possible. Low-key and cheap(er) eats suggestions for lunches would be especially helpful. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Mathew's pizza in Patterson Park, bout a 10 minute drive out Eastern Ave from downtown, fits all of your criteria (except crabcakes): cheap, lowkey, lunch. I've been going since I was in utero and my family has been frequenting Mathew's since they opened eons ago; dining here is akin to popping open a time capsule, at least to my nearly 30 year old eyes- a liliputian dining room haphazardly decorated by the world's worst italian travel agent-turned-interior designer, the requisite bawlmer 'hon' waitresses, the red and white checkered tablecloths, the fountain soda, a gimmick-free menu, cold beer; I simply adore the place.

Crab cakes - Faidley's at Lexington Market. (Skip their soft shells.) You can also pick up a chicken box and potato wedges (along with assorted fried chicken parts), cookies, including fresh Bergers at DeBaufres. (And if you're really adventurous, prescription drugs.)

Inner Harbor - Miss Shirley's does a tasty brunch and Joe Squared recently opened an outpost of their coal-fired pizza place there.

Brewer's Art for beer and their frites is another good option.

Take a stroll around Fells Point and hit up Rye for nice cocktails and some decent food.

If you're headed up to Woodberry Kitchen, then it wouldn't be too much of a hike to hit up Hampden to visit the restaurants and bars there.

For lunch, I second the crabcake at Faidley's in Lexington Market- get it fried for sure. You can get fresh Berger cookies in the Market for dessert as well.

There are a bunch of new dinner places in the Downtown vicinity- Wit & Wisdom at the Four Seasons, Harbor East, Chazz coal oven pizzeria & Italian food, Thames St. Oyster in Fells Point, Waterfront Kitchen in Fells Point.

For other lunches, if you want to venture to Fed Hill there are good burgers at Abbey Burger Bistro, you can get tacos with the freshest corn tortillas at Tortilleria SInaloa in Fells, you can get corned beef sandwiches and more at Attman's Deli, and a great fish pie at Piedegrotta in Little Italy.

Oh and Heavy Seas Ale house just opened near there as well, but I have not been.

I would do dinner at Woodberry one night and in Harbor East the other. If you're not up for the cost at Wit & Wisdom, at least start by having a drink in their bar, then head somewhere nearby for dinner. I've heard good things about Ten Ten, nothing inventive, but food done really well. There's also Cinghiale, which used to have a reasonably priced prix fixe meal (offered all of the time) as well as outdoor seating facing the water and a wonderful wine list, although I haven't been in quite some time. Waterfront Kitchen as mentioned is also in the area and I think the owners of The Black Olive have opened a more casual place (or am I totally making this up?).

Lunch I'm less helpful on as I'm not sure where your hotel is. There's a really good deli over around Little Italy whose name is totally escaping me, but I'm sure one of the Baltimore folks can help me out. :)

Also second the suggestion for brunch at Miss Shirley's. Oh, if you like Afghan food, The Helmand offers some solid food you might not find elsewhere. The pumpkin app is a must.

I think the owners of The Black Olive have opened a more casual place (or am I totally making this up?).

You're quite right; last time we were up there, had a delightful lunch on the roof- simple unfussy seafood-heavy Greek (whats not to love bout that!?!) There is a patio, if folks are so inclined, plus a breathtaking industrial view. I believe its called The Inn at Black Olive, over there at Aliceanna and Caroline streets