Yakitori Totto - Yakitori using Whole Chickens on 55th and 8th in Midtown West

If you have a chicken Jones, maybe try Yakitori Totto. They buy whole, high-quality birds, and offer everything as yakitori, right down to the soft bone (my first experience with this cartilaginous curiosity). In the past, they offered raw chicken but no alcohol; now, it's the exact opposite - I also really appreciate that so many things are named Don. Interestingly, they now have a second branch in Thailand. If you go, I strongly recommend making a reservation.

Yakitori Totto is really good. Again, the draft Japanese beer is excellent as well.

Hot damn this place is good. Except the drink options suck (maybe I'm spoiled by Izakaya Seki, but beers were limited to Kirin Ichiban, Asahi, and Sapporo, for instance). Three of us ordered about 15 different things, standouts among which were chicken skin, chicken thigh "oyster", ankimo (monkfish liver--the menu specializes in, but is not limited to, grilled meat skewers) and a skewer whose Japanese name I forget but it translates to "stew" I think because it's meant to evoke a traditional Japanese stew of beef, mushroom and tofu (it's a grilled skewer of very thinly sliced beef wrapped in a cylinder around mushroom and tofu) -- apparently an invention of this restaurant and not itself traditional.

Go here. It's near the corner of W 55th and 8th Ave.

Hot damn this place is good. Except the drink options suck (maybe I'm spoiled by Izakaya Seki, but beers were limited to Kirin Ichiban, Asahi, and Sapporo, for instance).

...a skewer whose Japanese name I forget but it translates to "stew" I think because it's meant to evoke a traditional Japanese stew of beef, mushroom and tofu (it's a grilled skewer of very thinly sliced beef wrapped in a cylinder around mushroom and tofu) -- apparently an invention of this restaurant and not itself traditional.

you want even better yakitori, try tori shin.  their sake selection is also good -- not as good as ours, mind you -- but well, good 'nuf.   service is slow. also, that "stew" skewer is probably trying to evoke "sukiyaki", which is a classic hot pot of beef, mushrooms, tofu, and a bunch of other goodies.  and coverting this dish to a skewer is not a "thing" -- it's certainly specific to totto.

suki.jpg