dr.com 2012 Autumn Picnic, Sunday, October 28, noon-6pm, Fort Hunt Park Area C-2

Pat

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is still early, & if everyone is thinking about attending the picnic, that's good! you have plenty of time to figure out what to bring, & I've done some last minute scrambling myself, the most important thing is your presence, instead of your food. There will be lots of food (& drink, usually), so just relax, & just bring whatever you come up with, right before the picnic...

Thus far:

*Appetizers:

Scott Johnston +1 - Deviled eggs and picnic supplies

Pat +1 - Curried Turkey salad and pistachio cranberry biscotti (dessert)

*Main:

agm +1 - ribs and macroni n' cheese

Banco +1 - something "main-coursey"

monavano +1 - braised beef sliders

sparkycom - coffee-chipotle brisket

*Dessert:

Barbara +2 - pumpkin cheesecake

goodeats +1- cupcakes?

TheMatt +1 - vegan baked goods

weezy - gluten-free lemon bars (and a veggie plate of some sort)

*Food Undecided:

DanielK +3

goldenticket +1

John William G

lperry (?)

LuvTeddyBears8 + FunGuy

porcupine (?)

thistle

**Compiled based on previous responses. Apologies if left someone out. Please sign up!!! (Especially new members!!!!)

Tell us about the kitchen redo...I would love to revamp my kitchen, & I'd like to think that it would improve my cooking, but maybe that's being optimistic...it's easier for me to blame my limitations on my space.....I have a pretty good place,that most folks could 'make do' in...but I want to hear about other folks' kitchens...

Tell us about the kitchen redo...I would love to revamp my kitchen, & I'd like to think that it would improve my cooking, but maybe that's being optimistic...it's easier for me to blame my limitations on my space.....I have a pretty good place,that most folks could 'make do' in...but I want to hear about other folks' kitchens...

I'll follow up tomorrow and post in the Kitchen Remodeling thread. Hopefully, I can keep you updated and share some of the experiences we've had and answer any questions!

I'll follow up tomorrow and post in the Kitchen Remodeling thread. Hopefully, I can keep you updated and share some of the experiences we've had and answer any questions!

We recently finished a year-long kitchen remodel and would be glad to share our past misery and current wisdom. I'll also post some pics over in the remodeling thread.

COME have fun pigging out and get social! I guess this is DR's version of Living Social events.

Update:

*Appetizers:

*Main:

John William G +1 - rice and vegetable salad

thistle - meat- ribs &/or smoked butts, poundcake again, & some kind of salad

*Dessert:

goodeats +1- cupcakes?

*Food Undecided:

DanielK +3

goldenticket +1

lperry (?)

LuvTeddyBears8 + FunGuy

porcupine (?)

**Compiled based on previous responses.

Another beautiful Indian summer day, & I think 'too bad the picnic wasn't today', of course, it's the middle of the week (if I focus on it, that guarantees that it will rain, right?). The puppies are running around aside, destroying the yard, & I'm looking forward to the picnic...

The forecast is looking good for a week from now and I'm sure it will be a beautiful day for the picnic :)

Who else is coming?

Everyone is welcome - new members, old members, members who have never been to an event before, cooks, non-cooks. Just come on out and bring something to share - food and/or drink!

PS - don't forget to bring a little cash to kick in to help cover the cost of the rental of the picnic space :)

COME have fun pigging out and get social! I guess this is DR's version of Living Social events.

Update:

*Appetizers:

DCDeb +1

*Main:

Fishinnards +1 - "a dish or two"

*Dessert:

goodeats +1- pies

*Food Undecided:

DanielK +3

goldenticket +1

lperry (?)

LuvTeddyBears8 + FunGuy

**Compiled based on previous responses.

Coming +1.

This Saturday I am going to attempt recipes for Paleo bread, Paleo biscuits, and flax crackers, gluten free and low carb.

Hopefully one (or more) will work, and I will share.

I just might get wild and crazy and make some Chairman Mao braised pork belly. Hmmm. Braised pork belly on Paleo biscuits?

Dean Ornish would not be amused!

Parenthetically, the DR picnic conflicts with the Slow Food Snail of Approval Awards Party, which looks like a blast, but I love you guys better.

Update:

*Appetizers:

DCDeb +1

Ilaine +1 - Paleo biscuits/bread, flax crackers (maybe braised pork belly yes, please)

TheMatt +1 - gluten-free millet tabbouleh (maybe baklava)

darkstar965 + - tomato/onion/avocado salad

DanielK +3 - shrimp and edamame salad

*Main:

Banco +1 - Szechuan chicken or pork

Fishinnards +1 - "a dish or two"

*Dessert:

goodeats +1- pies

rkduggins - brown sugar pound cake (and a side)

LaShanta +1 - chocolate trifle (couscous salad - side)

*Food Undecided:

goldenticket +1

lperry (?)

LuvTeddyBears8 + FunGuy

Heather (wine)

Plenty of time to join the fun - reply here or PM thistle or me. Just bring something to share - homemade or not (and some cash for the kitty to cover the rental of the space :) )

Traffic note: The Marine Corps Marathon is Sunday morning, so you may want to check for any closures along your route to Fort Hunt. I'd expect most roads should be reopened by noon.

I picked up 2 pork butts & 5 racks of ribs to smoke for the picnic, & an interesting new sauce to try. I put a straight NC style sauce (s&p, vinegar, tiny bit of sugar & ketchup) on the pulled pork, but usually for ribs, I foil w/ commercial sauce after 3 hrs.-I got Organicville original BBQ sauce (horrible name, but decent ingredients)-organic, gluten free, & vegan- I'll bring an extra bottle, to put on some grilled vegetables.

30% chance of rain on Sunday, so I'll bring the canopy, & I think since there's another poundcake coming, I'll have Lizzy make this one gluten-free. I looked back at a couple of past picnic threads, & every time I said, "No more pork or poundcake", maybe I should just shut up, or say that I will bring pork & poundcake until I die...also thinking about a veg salad, since the veggie sides seem to be lacking (or maybe all the folks who will be there, but haven't rsvp'd are bringing them). I look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday...

Thank you so much! I've been trying to get out to Thai Ghang Waan for the last week, to try their naem kao tod, but something has always happened to throw me off, today for the first time in my life, I lost my purse-it was recovered quickly, & I felt like such an idiot. So no lunch for me today...maybe tomorrow, after the HVAC guy comes- I also want to try the Yum Pla Duk Foo- I've never tried the crispy catfish salad...I'lll bring beer to the picnic, too...

Me and my favorite plus-one, my husband Kamau, will be there! (Special thanks to Daniel who told me about the cookout when I ran into him last night. ;) And Daniel, I am VERY excited about the cookies!!!) I missed the spring picnic so I am really excited about this one!!

I will bring a chocolate trifle and couscous salad.

Looks like I will be able to make it, kids and my wonderful wife in tow. Guess I'll bring some fried chicken with me if that's ok with everyone. See you guys there :-)

Excellent. I think you can force us to eat your fried chicken :lol:.

Visualizing the hurricane moving out to sea...

I'm going with the accuweather forecast that calls for '64, cloudy with a chance of a shower'

Picnic is on rain or shine, so don't let a little wet weather deter you. There's a large shelter and plenty of room for everyone under it, if need be.