Alternate Sugars to Cane

squidsdc

I've been on the lookout for other forms of sugar, as my boss has been diagnosed as allergic to cane sugar. For her last bday, we made baklava with honey. Since then I've seen various forms of sugar at mostly ethnic markets. Palm sugar, Coconut Sugar, Agave, etc.

Recently I purchased the coconut sugar, as this was my first time seeing it. I hadn't realized it would be in a solid form however. I have seen the palm sugar in this same solid form. Does anyone have any experience on the easiest and best way to use these type of sugars? I tried scraping with a spoon, which worked for a small taste, but it could get rather tedious for a large amount! Suggestions? (and it is in a plastic jar, so unless I can get it out of the jar first, the microwave is out.)

You may have to cut it out of the container. Palm sugar also comes in little discs that you can grate. The best palm sugar has not been cooked down too much and is soft and easy to scoop. Duangrat oriental market usually has this in generic plastic containers (like soup containers for take-out). Since I don't always want to drive to Bailey's Crossroads, I often buy the kind you bought and if it gets too hard I do have to cut apart the container and grate the sugar. Sometimes, though, it's soft enough to scoop. I try to squeeze the container before I buy it. There is a lot of variation in softness as it is a natural product. Here is some more info.

Thanks for the suggestions; this may become a weekend project! It is soft enough to scoop, but I'll have to see what "tool" we have at home that may be able to cut into the jar. Or else do a lot of scooping in to a glass jar, so I can then microwave it! I would liken this particular jar to a peanut butter jar, vs. the thinner generic plastic. I bought it at Global Food in Gaithersburg.

This particular coconut sugar is fantastic tasting. Closer to a brown sugar, but not as heavy. And is palm sugar always coconut sugar--just goes by both names? The link above was quite helpful, btw!

If you have a hard disk of sugar you may be able to chop or cut it into chunks with a cleaver and a mallet. Then let your food processor have a go at it. That's what I do with cones of piloncillo--but of course, that is unrefined cane sugar. I have a sack of granulated palm sugar in my cupboard--I may have bought it at Whole Foods.