Double Oven or Single Oven with Convection / Micro Combo

monavano

I need help. We're redoing our kitchen and I'm carefully choosing appliances. When it comes to the ovens, I'm stuck. Currently, we have double 24 inch thermal ovens and I want to replace them with 30 inch convection ovens.

I am leaning towards a certain brand or three, but I'm wondering if I should consider opting for a convection oven with a convection microwave combination above. I use one oven probably 80-90% of the time. I use the microwave almost daily, mostly for heating coffee, reheating leftovers and defrosting.

I've seen rave reviews about these oven with micro/convection combinations but want to know if anyone here has experience using them and if you think it's a good trade off instead of getting a double oven (which appear to be more prone to breaking down as compared to single ovens).

Also, if I get a single convection oven/micro convection oven, I will get a warming drawer stacked with them.

Here are some examples that I'm looking at:

http://www.ajmadison...ml#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.ajmadison...E30MC75JPS.html

Thanks all!

I have a KitchenAid convection oven & KA microwave/speed cook (which I guess is convection), although I didn't choose them, they were here when we got the house, I've been completely satisfied with them over 7 years. I'm one of those people who can't imagine not having a microwave, even if it's just for reheating/melting/boiling water...

I have a KitchenAid convection oven & KA microwave/speed cook (which I guess is convection), although I didn't choose them, they were here when we got the house, I've been completely satisfied with them over 7 years. I'm one of those people who can't imagine not having a microwave, even if it's just for reheating/melting/boiling water...

Do you use the top micro/convection to cook or bake, or just use it as a micro?

I'm also looking at the Kitchenaid Architect II combination:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KEHU309SSS.html

I'll be putting my microwave in my island if I don't get a combination oven. The small downside is that I'll lose 2 drawers.

We have Kitchenaid's double wall oven but we opted to have convection only in the top one, and it's the one with the temperature probe. I think the temperature probe is awesome, and we like the blue interior color. If we weren't filling an existing hole in the cabinets, we probably would've gone with the combo you suggested instead of double ovens.

I also have a countertop Sanyo digital convection/toaster oven (which is mostly used as a toaster, but I have baked in it several times), so I think I have all the bases covered. But I'm not as much of a baker as I used to be, so a double oven would be wasted on me-now, I tend to accumulate more outside cooking stuff (smokers, grills, stoves) to handle the occasional cooking for the masses...

I had the space and we installed a 60" wolf dual fuel range last year with 6 burners And French cook top.  I use the oven a lot to cook sheet tray dinners and roast lots of veggies.  I have made dueling paellas both in large pans.  It does everything I want and more.

---

This article has a picture of my range.. It is a beast.  

"High-Tech Renovation in Annapolis" by Sarah Hagerty on annapolishomemag.com

• Like 2

if you do not have a convention oven, and you add one, you will use it all the time.  Check out a speed cooking oven as well; offers quite a few more options and configurations (stand alone or combo unit with conventional oven/advantium on top.  

"GE Advantium Ovens" on geappliances.com

Also - for some pretty cool gas ranges, in addition to the Wolf (Sub-Zero owned), very cool colors and versions, manufactured in PA.  BlueStar:

"BlueStar Ranges" on bluestarcooking.com 

Thermador (Bosch owned) will run you about the same or a little less than Bluestar and a fair amount less than Wolf. Very similar look to Wolf and Viking:

"Dual Fuel and Gas Ranges" on thermador.com

Most of the companies offer some sort of unit bonus (to encourage brand loyalty and boost unit sales), so if you purchase a hood and range, they may throw in a free dishwasher or fridge or something along those lines.  NOTE: just using as an example, my recollection is not a guaranteed type of promotion, check the actual websites for whatever they may currently be offering.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

if you do not have a convention oven, and you add one, you will use it all the time.  Check out a speed cooking oven as well; offers quite a few more options and configurations (stand alone or combo unit with conventional oven/advantium on top.  http://www.geappliances.com/ge/advantium-oven.htm

Also - for some pretty cool gas ranges, in addition to the Wolf (Sub-Zero owned), very cool colors and versions, manufactured in PA.  BlueStar: http://www.bluestarcooking.com/cooking/ranges/

Thermador (Bosch owned) will run you about the same or a little less than Bluestar and a fair amount less than Wolf. http://www.thermador.com/cooking/ranges Very similar look to Wolf and Viking.

Most of the companies offer some sort of unit bonus (to encourage brand loyalty and boost unit sales), so if you purchase a hood and range, they may throw in a free dishwasher or fridge or something along those lines.  NOTE: just using as an example, my recollection is not a guaranteed type of promotion, check the actual websites for whatever they may currently be offering.

Great advice. We are, however, building a town home, and as you can imagine, we are limited in our choices.

The standard GE appliances provided are very good/excellent (if you discount MarkS's setup), but those are limitations.

Thanks!

Depending on who you are building with, they may offer the option to upgrade to lines like GE Profile or Jenn-Air (now increasing prices and product specs to try and complete with perceptively higher quality name brands), or even Thermador.  Typically the builder cost of appliances (not retail) is credited towards the builder cost of the upgraded option (+profit).  If you plan on being in the TH for a while and want the appliances you want: 1) the cost is wrapped into your mortgage and 2) it beats the heck out of swapping out appliances after you move in and in many cases compromising other parts of the new home warranty in addition to the appliances.  There are also potential issues with granite tops and cabinets housing new appliances as well.

Congrats on the new home.

• Like 1

I had Jennair gas in my last house and that was a builder 36 cooktop.  make decisions on your use and how long you expect to stay.  There are family members who expect our house to be with us forever though I expect I am staying in Naptown 20!years.  

• Like 1