Valley Pig Pickin', LLC

Sorry for the delayed update. All I can say is that monavano and family are some of the nicest people I've ever spoken with. As you might imagine, Saturday was a bit of a mess after the storm, and cell service was spotty at best. Monavano graciously offered to let us borrow a generator, but by the time I got a hold of anyone with a car large enough to go get it, we already had two on their way form Manassas. Turns out, everyone loves the couple as much as I do, and help came pouring in on all fronts. The wedding ended up happening exactly as planned and, aside from the hum of some generators, you wouldn't have been able to tell anything was ever amiss. And the food was some of the best I can recall at a wedding. Valley Pig Pickin' catered the event and brought a whole smoked lamb. I had never had lamb done this way, and it's unbelieveable. It was basically like a pig pickin' but with a lamb that was sliced instead of pulled. It kind of made this Virginia boy wonder why we've been messing around with pork all of these years. The sides were great too, though I hope to never know the nutrition content of the mashed potatoes.

I wanted to pass along a well-deserved recommendation for Valley Pig Pickin', who catered my friends' wedding on Saturday. They came through despite some challenging conditions and brought a spectacular whole smoked lamb, all the way from Woodstock to Falls Church. They are also some of the nicest folks you could hope to meet.