Boloco - A Massachusetts Burrito Chain on 19th and L Street and on Elm Street in Bethesda - All Local Locations Now Closed

I had this on my campus at Northeastern in Boston from 2001-2006. It was called "The Wrap" for most of college years then the last couple years they rebranded/were bought out/etc and renamed to Boloco.

I always have great memories of this place, very fresh ingredients and different enough from Chipotle to make a difference. They have different wraps than the traditional mexican fare, inculding chicken cesar wraps (white or dark meat), buffalo chicken, asian style, as well as carnitas, and other meats that Chipotle doesn't offer.

Very fresh and delicious.

(Even though I didn't name a meat that Chipotle doesn't offer, just believe me.)

New burrito chain opens this Thursday in the old Baja Fresh space on Elm Street in Bethesda. DC location (19th Street) opens later this summer.

http://boloco.com/

I can't see them opening this summer at 19th 'cuz I haven't seen them do a lick of work in the space yet. (vs. the Energy Kitchen space that has been going hot and heavy yet still is not slated to open before August...and the Po'boy space that seems to keep pushing back its opening date.) And it wasn't a restaurant space previously, so I imagine there are going to be a lot of permitting issues.

I walked by the Bethesda store over the weekend and it looks really nice inside. Nice wood, TV, seating. Like someone else mentioned they have traditional burritos, but also things like a BBQ style, Asian, etc. My vegan wife was excited that tofu is an available option. Looking forward to giving it a try when it opens this week.

Another plus is the option of three different sizes -- original, small, and mini -- the "mini" being a filling and affordable snack under $5 (if prices here are the same as their Boston-area locations).

I walked past it today and saw a guy sitting in the window taking a bite out of a burrito that was almost the size of his head. If that's the "original" it would easily feed two people.

I can't see them opening this summer at 19th 'cuz I haven't seen them do a lick of work in the space yet. (vs. the Energy Kitchen space that has been going hot and heavy yet still is not slated to open before August...and the Po'boy space that seems to keep pushing back its opening date.) And it wasn't a restaurant space previously, so I imagine there are going to be a lot of permitting issues.

Update--demo has begun!

I went today, because Mrs. Creek and I went and got pedicures from the place next door (DON'T JUDGE me - it was awesome.)

Soooo ... it's a burrito place. At the end of the day, if you liked your whatever from Baja Fresh or Chipotle, you can probably get it recreated here with some degree of accuracy. I opted for "minis" of a "spicy BLT" and a "Bangkok Thai", into which I added chicken.

They were good. Fine, really. Ingredients were reasonably fresh and the flavor combinations are good. What I think will really help this place is, and this sounds crazy, but I think it's great to go into a burrito joint and NOT walk out feeling like you need to have your stomach pumped.

These minis, they are wee. As the menu puts it, disturbingly small. I have to say that is totally okay with me, because there have been plenty of times where I thought "god, I want a burrito, but not some arm-sized thing." And go in with all the intent in the world to bring half of it home, and that never happens. Then I lie on the couch and swear I'll never do that again.

Hope they make it.

Hope they make it.

I won't render any view on how good or less good this place is. Haven't eaten there in a long time; years ago in Boston. I'd guess the menu has changed a lot since then. Will try it in Bethesda at some point.

Will offer a few bits of info though. First, this business already has made it. Clearly they've found a market up Boston way. But also helped a lot that they were able to attract professional investment firm backing. And, they were founded by the son of a former CEO of P&G. Oh, and the name, pretty obvious it was chosen long before expansion was fully envisioned.

(BO)ston(LO)cal(CO)mpany. Catchy, eh?