Pickles: yes, pickles to make Guss/Schwartz & the Viktualienmarkt jealous

Joe H

I've eaten a lot of pickles. From Guss' in Manhattan to Schwartz in Montreal to the former best sour pickles that I've had at a stand in the Viktualienmarkt in Munich I believe I have now found the equal of any: No1Sons who sell at various farmers markets in the area. https://www.facebook.com/NumberOneSons I bought three different kinds today with the full sour my favorites. They are not cheap: $5.00+ for a fourteen ounce container but worth every penny. Garlic pickles were even more expensive @$5.00 for eight ounces but also worth it. Still, their full sours! Great kraut, too with juniper berries and caraway seed. And I've eaten a lot of sauerkraut-all over Germany.

Worth going out of your way for if you like pickles.

It's almost embarassing to spend more than $20.00 for pickles at a farm market. It's more embarassing that four hours later they are all gone! http://number1sons.com/

Mr. lperry is the pickle lover in this house, and he has been buying from them at the Four Mile Run market on Sundays. The asparagus was fantastic. (Full disclosure: I am not affiliated with either the pickle makers or Four Mile Run market, but I really like them and want them to succeed.)

Two weeks ago, in my small hometown in southern Indiana, I found Guss' pickles in the local Wal-mart. Regular dills, spears, half-sours, and so on. Yes, they were genuine.*

I'm not sure what to make of this fact, but I'm putting it out there.

*well, packed by United Pickle Packers in New Jersey, under license from Guss, but then nobody really expected Guss to supply Wal-mart from Essex Street I don't suppose

I'm now two seasons into making fermented pickles at home, thanks to Zora,'s encouragement, and I have to say that the best cucumber pickles I've ever had are the ones I've made this month. Yay Zora! Yay me! I wish I'd known thirty or forty years ago how easy it was.

Sadly (for those of us who grew up on the LES), Guss has moved their operation to Brooklyn. We visited sometime last year, and it is definitely more geared towards distribution, rather than retail, but they were quite happy to see me come in to their barrel-lined stark white outer area buy a few quarts.

If I could recreate their garlic sours, I'd be in heaven, so I'm looking forward to trying No1Sons.

I'm now two seasons into making fermented pickles at home, thanks to Zora,'s encouragement, and I have to say that the best cucumber pickles I've ever had are the ones I've made this month. Yay Zora! Yay me! I wish I'd known thirty or forty years ago how easy it was.

Good work, Hersch! I hereby declare you an honorary Jew.