Canning Workshop from the GMU Sustainability Institute

lperry

Here's the announcement from Mason:

Canning Workshop

Have you ever wondered what the process is for canning your own food? Join instructor Diane Blust for a special Mason Sustainability Institute (MSI) workshop on the basics of food preservation. The workshop will cover the topics of the science behind food preservation, canning methods, safety precautions, preservation methods (fermentation, drying, freezing), water bath canning, food and recipe selection, kitchen set up, jar and equipment prep (sterilization of jars, heating lids, assembly line set up), and much more.

Instructor Biography: Diane is the President of the Fairfax Coalition for Smarter Growth and a member of the Coalition's Sustainable Reston project. She recently became a Master Food Volunteer in Virginia's Cooperative Extension Service Master Food program and completed a canning certification course at Virginia Tech.

Tuesday, July 31 from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm

12011 Government Center Parkway, Suite 1050, Fairfax, VA 22035-1115. Fairfax County Community and Recreation Services Kitchen,10th floor of the Pennino Building at the Government Center.

Register at: http://msi.gmu.edu/registration.html. (clicky below)

http://msi.gmu.edu/registration.html

It was there this morning when I posted the link, so they may have filled up. If you are really interested, I would give them a call.

Edited to say, I just checked their facebook page, and the workshop is full. I hope some DR-ers got in!

I emailed jsouthe2@gmu.edu because I had signed up and heard nothing -- no confirmation, no response similar to mdt's. She emailed back within a day and told me that I am confirmed (as is my friend) and that their confirmation system doesn't work. My feeling is that if you did not get the auto-reply that mdt did you are probably confirmed, but I would email to check.

I emailed jsouthe2@gmu.edu because I had signed up and heard nothing -- no confirmation, no response similar to mdt's. She emailed back within a day and told me that I am confirmed (as is my friend) and that their confirmation system doesn't work. My feeling is that if you did not get the auto-reply that mdt did you are probably confirmed, but I would email to check.

I did not get that response, it was a note posted on the web site yesterday. I guess I could have mentioned that...

Based upon my previous experience with GMU's training courses, if you signed up online and didn't get a "sorry" message, you are signed up.

I'm happy several DR people got into this one. I do so much canning it's second nature, and I hate how the USDA has made it seem so frightening and dangerous.

YAY for the snow that caused so many to cancel! Our wait list slots opened up, and we attended tonight's canning seminar.

Thank you thank you thank you lperry for enabling this learning experience by posting about it here. Myths dispelled, vinegar inhaled, facts and practicalities revealed, and we're well on the way to becoming canning addicts. The instructors mentioned future Loudoun and Reston workshops; I will post that info once it arrives. Highly recommended.

Links to the docs they provided:

(pop)

(goes)

(the world)

YAY for the snow that caused so many to cancel! Our wait list slots opened up, and we attended tonight's canning seminar.

Thank you thank you thank you lperry for enabling this learning experience by posting about it here. Myths dispelled, vinegar inhaled, facts and practicalities revealed, and we're well on the way to becoming canning addicts. The instructors mentioned future Loudoun and Reston workshops; I will post that info once it arrives. Highly recommended.

Links to the docs they provided:

(pop)

(goes)

(the world)

I agree, this was great and I feel like I learned a lot, lost my fear of some processes, and the instructor was fantastic. I really enjoyed this and highly recommend it to people when it is offered in the future. They also promoted a jam making workshop in the spring in Loudoun county that looks great.

• Like 1

Another thumbs up for the canning seminar. This is just what I needed for a boost of confidence to help me start canning. My head is swirling with possibilities-- jams, sauces, gifts.....

I just might stick my toe in the water with a small batch of those balsamic onions.

• Like 1