Corn and Mushrooms

Just a couple of quick recs at the local farmers' markets:

1. I've found that the corn in recent weeks has not been as sweet as in past Julys; but Twin Springs' bicolor corn has been very good -- they're at many markets (http://www.twinspringsfruitfarm.com/market-schedule/).

2. Joe and Sarah's oyster mushrooms at their Takoma Mushroom stand (14th and U on Saturdays; Brookland on Tuesday afternoons from 4-7) are really, really good. One to watch.

I highly recommend Toigo's mira corn. First appearance in the farm's many markets this past weekend.

The drought's made corn hard to come by and we're watching scarcity for the past three years where Toigo (S. PA) is concerned. Last year, the long, cold spring followed by excessive rain delayed plantings, then after seeds watched away twice, there wasn't much if any corn. At this point, I forget what happened the year before.

Best mushroom for pairing with corn: chanterelle. Summer is the wild mushroom's season. Any sightings of these foraged funghi in farmers markets?

Is anybody selling corn that tastes like, you know, corn? Instead of tasting like corn-flavored and -textured sugar?

Seriously, corn just isn't as tasty as it used to be.

I second AB's recommendation for Mirai corn from Toigo. Here's a blog entry I did about it a couple years ago. I'm going to picks some up at the Del Ray market tommorow :)

http://houndstoothgourmet.com/at-the-dupont-farmers-market-the-future-is-almost-here-2/

I second AB's recommendation for Mirai corn from Toigo.

I'm generally not a huge Toigo fan but agree that their mirai corn is usually excellent. The ears I bought from them yesterday, however, were downright dull -- not nearly as good as the ones I've had lately from Twin Springs and Sand Hill (Penn Quarter).

Thanks for the follow ups. We went to Del Ray late (for us) at around 10:30, so perhaps it was already sold out. I grilled up cobs of mirai and white corn from Schlagle's for various dishes, and side by side, the difference was vast. Schlagle's was starchy and with little flavor and the mirai had snap, flavor and juice.

It's good stuff. I've been looking forward to it every year and remember emailing Mark a couple years back telling him how great it was.