Photo

Izakaya Seki, U Street Corridor - Chef Hiroshi Seki and GM Cizuka Seki on 11th and V Streets

U Street Corridor Shaw Japanese Izakaya Sashimi Sake

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Marty L.

Marty L.

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Head's up -- Seki is serving a 21-item osechi box for New Year's Eve (until midnight, I believe), that is said to be enough for two people, perhaps even more if slightly supplemented by regular menu items.  $110, which is approximately one-third of the price of the osechi box at Taro (http://www.sushitaro...poster_2014.pdf) (which I'm sure will also be great, but way out of my price range).

If I didn't have longstanding dinner plans, I'd definitely be there!  If you go, please report back here.

Happy New Year, Cizuka and Hiroshi!

Bumping up, for those of you who still don't have plans for this evening . . . and to welcome Seki to its well-deserved third page!   B)

• jasonc likes this

#102 ol_ironstomach

ol_ironstomach

Wunderpus photogenicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

What a pleasant little gem of a place to just go and take a meal.  Especially the sashimi.  I don't know where the shellfish came from, but the cuttlefish was almost obscenely creamy, and you needed to make yourself slow down to enjoy the tender slices of octopus - it was full of flavor that just kept giving and giving.

Bonus points for the background music, an eclectic mix of mostly '70s and '80s that included Beatles, Zep, Talking Heads.

• jasonc, turbogrrl and Cizuka Seki like this

Dave Hsu
--------"Cuisine represents a knife edge that separates attractive stimulation from death."--- Art Ayers

#103 Cizuka Seki

Cizuka Seki

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Bonus points for the background music, an eclectic mix of mostly '70s and '80s that included Beatles, Zep, Talking Heads.

Its about time someone appreciated my taste in music. Haha!

• turbogrrl likes this
Cizuka Seki

Co-owner
Izakaya Seki - Facebook

#104 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Its about time someone appreciated my taste in music. Haha!

I have been appreciating your taste in music every time I go!! But invariably I get distracted by the food...
  • Cizuka Seki likes this

i don't cook. why should i?
(the stove is broken; the city is at my doorstep)

#105 Cizuka Seki

Cizuka Seki

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

WE ARE OPEN TONIGHT FROM 5-9PM.  IF YOU ARE HUNGRY, WE WILL FEED YOU.

Attached Thumbnails

• snoman.jpg

• jasonc and chefgunshow like this
Cizuka Seki

Co-owner
Izakaya Seki - Facebook

#106 jasonc

jasonc

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

deft photoshop work.

Toronto Phodown

What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

#107 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

The little fried baby Cthulhu on the specials menu, sprinkled with cracked pepper, are magical. I've never found an Elder God so delicious and adorable. eldergods.jpg

I'm also enjoying the eel and cucumber, even more so because Nick and I carefully split the eel evenly between us but he only takes one or two of the cucumber. Mine. All mine!

Last night we were seated at the bar next to a couple (and their adorable daughter!) who first started going to Mr. Seki's restaurant in St. Louis when they were dating in the early 90s. They had been heartbroken when he vanished, and very very happy to find him again.

• DonRocks, Mark Dedrick, KMango and 2 others like this

#108 eatruneat

eatruneat

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

When people ask me what my favorite restaurant in DC is, I usually reply, "There are so many good places, I can't pick a favorite. It really depends on my mood." But if you looked at my dining calendar, you would probably think my favorite restaurant is Izakaya Seki. And I think it is too.

My boyfriend and I went to Izakaya Seki on Friday evening to celebrate one year of dating. The wait was only 20 minutes before we were seated on the lower level. We ordered a plate of sashimi with an additional order of toro because we can't get enough raw fish at this place. I really want to do one dinner here with just sashimi and cured fish but I can't help but ordering the cooked food as well. We added to our order with my boyfriend's favorite item, the taka wasa, a trio of vegetables (how is the spinach so much better than all other spinaches?), and the fried baby octopus above. We have ordered the octopus many times before but this time, Chef Seki garnished it with a baby crab (not alive) which was very cute and playful. We thought it was so great we took the crab home with us to have around until it starts deteriorating. Since we were sitting right in front of Chef Seki, we asked for his a recommendation and he enthusiastically told us to order the aji tataki (Spanish Mackerel served raw and then deep fried) and we are so glad we did. The fish comes out whole with cuts in the belly and served with herbs and ginger. We ate as much raw fish as we could pick with our chopsticks. Then the fish was taken away, deep fried, and brought back to us, at which point we ate the rest of the fish except for the head (though we tried to get as much flesh as possible from the cheeks) and the tail. It was excellent. Finally, we also ordered the chicken meatball, another favorite. I just wish there was still the option of the egg yolk to dip it in.

My boyfriend and I have eaten at either Daikaya Izakaya or Izakaya Seki three out of the last five weekends. There is something to be said that neither of us have thought twice about going to either of the places on such a regular basis. Either the restaurants are darn delicious and fun or we are izakaya fiends.

• Pat, Mark Dedrick, turbogrrl and 1 other like this

run.eat.drink.sleep.rinse.repeat.

@lamlet

#109 turbogrrl

turbogrrl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Nothing drives home the fact that I want to eat here once a week like looking at a calendar and remembering that Seki is closed through the 8th. To make up for that I went twice last week, but still.

They've made a change to the chicken kara-age: it's now served with a dashi rather than the garlic puree. I can understand wanting to make it lighter for summer but I miss the delicious garlic. I can make up for this slightly by ordering the tuna tataki, which for the last couple of months has been served with fried garlic chips, which are addictive. And in this hot weather I'm loving the cold soba; it's great to share, as everyone gets their own little dipping sauce.

Right. I can hold out a week.

• dinoue likes this

#110 Cizuka Seki

Cizuka Seki

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Nothing drives home the fact that I want to eat here once a week like looking at a calendar and remembering that Seki is closed through the 8th. To make up for that I went twice last week, but still.

They've made a change to the chicken kara-age: it's now served with a dashi rather than the garlic puree. I can understand wanting to make it lighter for summer but I miss the delicious garlic. I can make up for this slightly by ordering the tuna tataki, which for the last couple of months has been served with fried garlic chips, which are addictive. And in this hot weather I'm loving the cold soba; it's great to share, as everyone gets their own little dipping sauce.

Right. I can hold out a week.

Jen, thank you for the kind words and your patience! We're back tomorrow from a much needed rest....although my version of "rest" was working as a stage in Tokyo :-)
Cizuka Seki

Co-owner
Izakaya Seki - Facebook

#111 mdt

mdt

@#$%#^&*!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Went on Sunday at sat at the bar downstairs. While watching the food being prepared and going out we decided on the large sashimi plate from the specials menu and were not disappointed. That along with the mushroom plate and some sake made for a terrific dinner. Every time we go we wonder why we wait so long between visits.

#112 dinoue

dinoue

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:06 AM

Went without the kids for the first time last week Friday close to 11:00 at night after a friend's birthday party. Unfortunately for us, restaurant was packed so we still had to sit at a table. Great sashimi platter with generous slices of toro and what  I assume was buri (fatty hamachi). Also had a a wonderful aji tataki with both green onion and shiso. Rouget karaage was also great where the whole fish is eaten. Waiting for them to start serving whole sparrow on a stick like I ate in Japan when my classmates thought it would be fun to get the exchange student drunk and start feeding him all the weirdest things on the menu. Seriously, where Seki continues to shine is doing a "simple" seasonal menu and doing everything very well.

• KMango likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: U Street Corridor, Shaw, Japanese, Izakaya, Sashimi, Sake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users