&Pizza (Formerly H & Pizza) - A DC Pizzeria Chain Now In Multiple Area Locations

H & Pizza recently opened between 11th and 12th on H (right next to Taylor Gourmet) and seems to offer a good new option in the neighborhood. You can see the menu here. The place isn't large, consisting of 5-6 communal tables with 6 seats each, and definitely has a more industrial decor, like it's neighbor.

My favorite thing about the menu is that the most you will spend on a pizza is $8.64, no matter how many toppings you order. I don't think it's comparable to the Neapolitan places around town, but it is made fresh in front of you and served piping hot. It's also a fairly large personal pizza that could probably be split (although maybe 2 pizzas for 3 people would be an ideal serving).

You start with an option of traditional, whole grain, or multigrain crust, followed by an option of 6 different sauces and 6 different cheeses. You then have an option of unlimited toppings from about 8 different proteins, 12 different pre-bake toppings, and upwards of 15 different "finishes and oils." If that is all too overwhelming, the menu also offers 9 different suggested combinations, along with a few salads as well.

I decided to opt for one of their suggestions on this first trip and went with the FARMER'S DAUGHTER (Spicy Tomato, Housemade Mozzarella, Hot Sausage, Farm Eggs, Spinach, Parmesan Reggiano, Red Pepper Chili Oil) on multigrain crust. When you step up to order, you choose your crust and then are able to view all of the fresh toppings spread out on your pizza before it is scooted into the oven. A few minutes later it emerges from the other side and the finishes are applied before it is handed over. I was particularly impressed with the flavor of the hot sausage and the nice kick from that alongside the sauce and the chili oil. The eggs cracked on top were perfectly cooked to ooze out as the slices were separated. The crust also had a better flavor than I was expecting and I'd be curious to try the whole wheat next time.

My +1 ended up creating his own and had trouble limiting himself in toppings as he added sopprasetta, sausage, mushrooms, roasted peppers, caramelized onions, prosciutto, and basil. Surprisingly, it turned out pretty well and not as heavy as it would seem.

I look forward to returning and experimenting with some of the more interesting toppings, such as putting together a white pizza with goat cheese, prosciutto, and fig marsala topping, or something with shrimp and pesto perhaps.

I went to H &pizza a couple of times when it first opened and enjoyed my experience. The space is simple but pleasing and I like the experience of watching the pizza made in front of you. It isn't neapolitan but doesn't have to be. I agree about the Farmer's Daughter and I tried the Maverick (Classic Tomato, Housemade Mozzarella, Pepperoni, Hot Sausage, Smoked Bacon, Soppressata, Parmesan Reggiano, Oregano Oil) which surprisingly had less kick than the Farmer's Daughter but still a good pizza. The only thing I wasn't particularly fond of was the dessert pizza. Just needed to work out a few kinks.

Based on my one visit I pretty much agree with the comments above. Good pizza, good price. Really happy it's in the neighborhood, although this isn't a place I'd travel for. Also, agree with Food Nomad on the spiciness of the Maverick compared to the Farmer's Daughter. I think the spicy tomato sauce is the way to go to boost the flavor.

We liked it as well. The service was quite slow, but perhaps they just needed to work out the kinks on that. Since they can only make one pizza at a time, I'm not sure if they will ever be super-speedy, though. We thought the pizza was good, at a great price.

The Monroe Street Market &Pizza opened on Monday, and we stopped by for lunch on the way home from the White House Easter Egg Roll. The tables inside were all taken, so we couldn't stay to eat (there were some high top seats available, but we needed a high chair that was too low for the tall tables), but I think they're adding patio tables soon.

Pizza was as good as the ones we've had on H. Still an abundance of options for crust, sauce, and toppings.

I imagine this will be packed with Catholic students at all hours. So much food for such a good price!

I didn't know anything about this place until the founder, Steve Salis, came to talk about being an entrepreneur to a Quantitative Literacy math class at the Bethesda high school where I work. I sat in the audience and listened.  The founder is quite young but very cool with lots of energy and passion.  It's impressive that he's opened so many locations so quickly (he off-handedly said to the students that "capital was not a problem" for his restaurant idea but the kids didn't have the guts to ask him where he got his investors).  He says that the company's number one goal is to create a positive environment so that the customer becomes a regular b/c he knows that there are a bazillion pizza places to go to if they don't have a positive experience.  The Bethesda location will be right next to the Chipotle, which, if you work in downtown Bethesda, you know is swarmed by students from the local high school at lunchtime b/c we have open lunch.  The students' biggest question was, "How long does it take you to cook a pizza?"  Clearly they were wondering if they should consider this place for a future lunch option.  Steve said it only takes them 90 seconds to cook a pizza so wait time should not be a problem.  We'll see.  The pizza prices listed on their web site are fairly reasonable for a high school kid, so if he does have an efficient team to move customers along, they'll have 1900+ potential customers available between 10:54 and 11:34 every weekday.

Pax,
Brian

This place in Bethesda typically has lines out the door at lunch. I have not bothered to wander over yet, but will soon, just to get my own impression of the place. All of the different options, to me, seems a little gimmicky. But we'll see.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

This concept is clearly taking off. MOD and Uncle Maddio's are two others that use conveyor belts.

Conveyor-belt pizza technology has been around for a long time. Lost Dog Cafe, for example, uses it in their original location, founded in 1985.

---

"Belt Technologies, Inc., has been producing custom metal belt conveyor solutions for new and existing conveyor systems for more than five decades."

---

The founder of Little Caesars "invented" the conveyor-belt oven in 1977.

A friend suggested going here after a movie at E Street. I was hungry and pizza sounded fine, but I've never been interested in going to any of these shops.  I decided to be adventurous and less cranky, so we hit the E Street location..

We got the basic one (OG, I think), and added a second type of mozzarella. With the addition, I think the total for a pizza was $11.50.  It's like a flatbread/slipper bread but very thin.  For a snack, shared between two people, it was fine.  The service seemed pretty good.  I might like this as a happy hour bar food.

I've got no real interest in trying it again, though if I'm really hungry and it's there...

I don't know if I'd like it more if I wasn't always comparing it to Blaze and wishing that the Blaze at Montgomery Mall was still open.

We don't eat much pizza and we like interesting toppings.  I want garlic, not garlic oil.

And if I'm at Crown Farm, I will usually opt for Chop't or splurge at Coastal Flats.  It just doesn't rank high enough to get my money these days.