7 replies to this topic

#1 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I went to the Fairfax location (10901 Main St.) based on Tyler Cowens' report. The menu at Fairfax location is more or less the same as the Alexandria location, which has a website. I ordered 5 tacos - tongue, chicken, cabeza (cow head), asada, and al pastor or carnitas (I don't remember). I know I liked the tongue and chicken. I think it was sthe cabeza that i didn't like - lots of fat but not much flavor. Each taco was $2.25, and they're not very big (I had no problem eating 4.5 tacos, I didn't finish the cabeza). The tacos came with 2 sauces, the red was muy picante! They didn't have tripe taco available today but have some specials on a chalk board - like buche (pig esophagus). Small joint, serves beer. I would love to go to La Placita but it's soooooo far away. I'll be hitting Ricos Tacos Moya instead.

Tacos clockwise from 12 o'clock - al pastor (or carnitas, I forget), chicken, tongue, asada, and cabeza.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tacos.jpg
  • Menu 1.jpg
  • Menu.jpg

#2 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Have been itching to go back to this hole in the wall authentic Mexican joint for quite some time. I finally made it yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I think I was there around 4:30. I saw the 32 oz Corona in the fridge and decided I needed lots of cold beer. I also ordered a bowl of pozole ($10), tongue taco, chicken taco, and carnitas taco. I've never had pozole before, and due to the abundance of hominy (which I don't care for), and will likely not order it again. To me, the soup wasn't pungent enough. Maybe I'd develop a taste for it if I were to keep trying, but I personally like menudo more than hominy (although I've had hominy in menudo too). The tongue taco was delicious, the carnitas was good, and the chicken was a little bland yesterday. Tyler Cowen said the whole fried fish is good so I'll probably try that next time. At $2.25 each, I could've ate cheaply but I had to try pozole at least once.

Attached Thumbnails

• Corona.jpg

#3 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,176 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Have been itching to go back to this hole in the wall authentic Mexican joint for quite some time. I finally made it yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I think I was there around 4:30. I saw the 32 oz Corona in the fridge and decided I needed lots of cold beer. I also ordered a bowl of pozole ($10), tongue taco, chicken taco, and carnitas taco. I've never had pozole before, and due to the abundance of hominy (which I don't care for), and will likely not order it again. To me, the soup wasn't pungent enough. Maybe I'd develop a taste for it if I were to keep trying, but I personally like menudo more than hominy (although I've had hominy in menudo too). The tongue taco was delicious, the carnitas was good, and the chicken was a little bland yesterday. Tyler Cowen said the whole fried fish is good so I'll probably try that next time. At $2.25 each, I could've ate cheaply but I had to try pozole at least once.

If anyone knows definitively where all locations of Ricos Tacos Moya are, could you post them here? It's not obvious from QuickGoogle ™.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#4 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Tyler Cowen's link shows a total of three branches:

Ricos Tacos Moya: 13948 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Woodbridge (no website)
Ricos Tacos Moya 2: 10901 Main Street, Fairfax, VA
Ricos Tacos Moya 3: 8685 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#5 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

So I went there for brunch today (they open at 10 a.m. on Sunday) to try their menudo. I also had some tacos. Can't say that I was amazed by anything today - the tacos were a bit dry (asada and pollo) and under-seasoned. The tongue taco was nice and tender but also under-seasoned. Lastly came the menudo. Their version doesn't not come with hominy or pig's feet, which is fine by me. The tripe itself is tender and clean-tasting - you can't even tell you're eating tripe except for the texture. Unfortunately the soup was a bit under-seasoned. Don't expect anything to be perfect here but you can get pretty decent authentic Mexican food here without paying alot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Menudo.jpg

#6 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I feel like I should try the Ricos Tacos Moya near me (Richmond Hwy). I have eaten at Tacos al Costalilla (very good), El Paso (good Tex-Mex), Taco Jalisco (sopes), haven't tried La Mexicana yet, & Taco Grande is run by a couple of very nice Korean ladies, the Mexican food is abysmal, but my son said they have good sandwiches & milkshakes...& Su Pollo (Peruvian chicken) is wonderful, w/ great soup- aguadito de pollo....

#7 ScotteeM

ScotteeM

Foie Gras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

http://www.ricostacosmoya2.com/ <-- Link to Fairfax restaurant
https://www.facebook...143947402411098 <-- Link to Facebook page for Fairfax restaurant

HTH

Dona Animella

#8 ScotteeM

ScotteeM

Foie Gras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Tried the Fairfax location for lunch yesterday, for the first time. I had Sopa de Gallina ($8.99), one of their specials. I thought it was very good chicken soup, a big bowl with carrots, cabbage and squash, and at least a drumstick and a half a breast on the bone. I would have preferred the chicken shredded, but I can see why they would serve it whole. The home-made corn tortillas with it were very good. A lot of other diners around us were eating various soups, and I would love to try more of their offerings.

Husband had the chicken quezadilla (sic), and really liked it. I couldn't taste it because of the flour tortilla, but he said he would order it again.

Dona Animella

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users