Slice of Rockville, Owner Dide Summerlin's Pizza and Sub House in Woodley Gardens Shopping Center (Visible from I-270N)

Slice of Rockville is hidden in the Woodley Gardens Shopping Center, which you can see traveling on 270 northbound, but is not so easy to find unless you are familiar with the back roads of Rockville. I would not call this a destination spot, but you could do worse in that neck of the woods. I have been hitting this spot a couple times a month for the last year or so. The pizza is more than serviceable, if not spectacular. I tend to favor the sandwiches. They are a tad more than basic, with several of them quite good such as the Downtown (turkey breast, romaine, and cranberry relish) and the Rock Creek (Virginia baked ham, brie, honey mustard, and fig jam). In the winter months they offer a rotating selection of homemade soups, which I have also enjoyed. More importantly, perhaps, is the homey vibe this place exudes. Every time I stop by for lunch seemingly many of the customers know each other and the staff and do a little catching up while placing their orders. It is quite small with only a handful of tables, but is a nice neighborhood spot worthy of some support if you find yourself in the area.

DCS - what kind of pizza do they serve - to whom do they compare? And what spot did they take - chicken basket? Carmen's Ice? Assuming neither of those... this tiny shopping center has a nice little selection of food choices that includes one of the better-run Hard Times Cafes.

It would be cool if they took over the old bank spot on the end farthest from 270, and used the drive-in window for drive-up slices or take-out pickup.

DCS - what kind of pizza do they serve - to whom do they compare? And what spot did they take - chicken basket? Carmen's Ice? Assuming neither of those... this tiny shopping center has a nice little selection of food choices that includes one of the better-run Hard Times Cafes.

It would be cool if they took over the old bank spot on the end farthest from 270, and used the drive-in window for drive-up slices or take-out pickup.

They call it "New York Style," but that has become such an abused expression that it has almost been rendered meaningless. The photo on the linked page is a fairly representative image. It tastes pretty much like it looks.

This place is more or less next door to Carmen's. I have never noticed a chicken basket, so it must be in that space.

It is ehhh - that is the best way to describe.

Edible better than domino's but nothing that I would go out of my way for. I had a slice from here a couple of weeks ago when I wanted something besides italian ices. Carmen's has been a regular on my list this summer and the only thing that slice has going for it is that it is next store to a place that I enjoy and brings a lot of foot traffic.

It is ehhh - that is the best way to describe.

Edible better than domino's but nothing that I would go out of my way for. I had a slice from here a couple of weeks ago when I wanted something besides italian ices. Carmen's has been a regular on my list this summer and the only thing that slice has going for it is that it is next store to a place that I enjoy and brings a lot of foot traffic.

Maybe I should have written "but not spectacular," which is more accurate. I can now see the ambiguity in the post. It occupies the vast middle zone between Domino's and Pupatella. Most pizza falls in that category, imho. Like I said, I usually opt for a sandwich.