18 replies to this topic

#1 Adam23

Adam23

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Was walking down Wisconsin Ave today and there was a sign for "Firelake Grill" opening soon in the old Ruby Tuesday's space at Wisconsin and Van Ness.

The contractor who is renovating the space is the same one who worked on all of the various Ray's restaurants. Is it possible Michael Landrum is opening in Upper NW? (Which would be the best thing to happen to this neighborhood in a long time).

Anyone have any info?

#2 Adam23

Adam23

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

As I have continued my quest to find out more information on this restaurant, it is sadly not Michael. The restaurant is being opened by the owners of the former PGA Tour Grill in Rockville. Anyone remember that place?

#3 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

As I have continued my quest to find out more information on this restaurant, it is sadly not Michael. The restaurant is being opened by the owners of the former PGA Tour Grill in Rockville. Anyone remember that place?

Thanks for the update Adam, and for breaking this news on September 29th. I just read an Eater DC piece, and I was certain that Prince of Petworth had first reported this story on October 2nd until I noticed your post just now.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#4 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

The restaurant is being opened by the owners of the former PGA Tour Grill in Rockville. Anyone remember that place?

It's "former" for a reason. Almost appropriate that they're opening in the old Ruby Tuesday's spot, since that's what I likened the PGA Tour Grill to the one time I got dragged there. Except that my bill was twice as high than it would have been if I'd gone to Ruby Tuesday's.

#5 squidsdc

squidsdc

ika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Is there any relation to this restaurant in Minneapolis? (link)

We are searching for a place for a graduation meal (in Mpls) and Fireplace Grill was mentioned as a possibility. Someone in MN said they heard it was opening in Bethesda. Doesn't look like they are affiliated to me, but one never knows...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"--The Great Oz

#6 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Are you sure about this?

Those owners are HMSHost, part of AutoGrill, reportedly "the world's largest provider of food, beverage, and retail service for travelers" (and presumably the ultimate pot of gold for Cuisine Solutions ;)). 

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#7 Adam23

Adam23

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Are you sure about this?

Those owners are HMSHost, part of AutoGrill, reportedly "the world's largest provider of food, beverage, and retail service for travelers" (and presumably the ultimate pot of gold for Cuisine Solutions ;)). 

Yes 100% positive.  Firelake Grill is owned by Bob Slade - here is a link to an article about his ownership (may have been partial) in PGA Tour Grill.

http://ww2.gazette.n...636_31954.shtml

He was also the owner of "Slades" in Bethesda among other restaurants.  Last time I spoke with him it was opening before the New Year 2013.  Looks like that isn't happening.

#8 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Damn.  I loved Slade's....

#9 stockwatch

stockwatch

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Are you sure about this?

Based on the HMSHost webstite, it looks like they just license brands (Baja Fresh, CPK, Chilis, Starbucks, etc.) to put these restaurants in airports or other travel areas.  I would think that this restaurant is completely independent.

#10 Adam23

Adam23

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm inclined to say this isn't opening.  While the build out appears to be done, all signage is down and it has been dark for weeks.  

#11 jandres374

jandres374

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Drove by the other day and looks to be open. Anyone been?

#12 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Drove by the other day and looks to be open. Anyone been?

They opened in 2013, but WUSA 9 reports they were evicted by US Marshals today.

#13 Lydia R

Lydia R

DC Taco Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

They opened in 2013, but WUSA 9 reports they were evicted by US Marshals today.

There's no by-line on this story - hopefully this assignment went to one of their interns.

1404836901008-photo-3.JPG

"I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to life for." Lou Gehrig 1939

#14 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

.....so anyone can come by and grab that stuff on the street????    Oh my...if I were a restaurateur with a truck and bodies...there is a gold mine of stuff there.  It beats the heck out of auction prices

If I were anyone with a truck and some bodies and some storage...there is some value there.  geez.

#15 Justin Bittner

Justin Bittner

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

But if you had some bodies in a truck the Marshals would probably be looking for you!

• chefgunshow, ktmoomau and DaveO like this

Justin Bittner

Chef,
8407 Kitchen Barwebsite - Facebook - @8407

#16 ALargeFarva

ALargeFarva

shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

I received a copy of their business plan about two years ago for a potential investment. It was doomed to fail for any one of a few reasons.

As an aside, can't DC find someone other than the US Marshals for garden variety evictions? Seems a waste of talent and resources.

#17 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

As an aside, can't DC find someone other than the US Marshals for garden variety evictions? Seems a waste of talent and resources.

Federal jurisdiction, so nope. All residential and commercial evictions are conducted by the Marshals.

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#18 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

.....so anyone can come by and grab that stuff on the street????    Oh my...if I were a restaurateur with a truck and bodies...there is a gold mine of stuff there.  It beats the heck out of auction prices

If I were anyone with a truck and some bodies and some storage...there is some value there.  geez.

Russ Ptacek from WUSA9 tweeted that day:

Wildest eviction I've ever seen. Soon as Marshals emptied Fire Lake Grill-scavengers took pots, tables, chairs @wusa9 pic.twitter.com/uorWctvvuM

#19 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Lucky scavengers.  ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tenleytown, American, Closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users