Haute Dogs & Fries, N. Montgomery and Washington Street in Old Town - Original, Purcellville Location Has Closed

I have been to the Purcellvillle outpost several times and it is solid for dogs. They use new england style rolls toasted which is great, and offer good toppings. I prefer the typical toppings so the coney island with meat topping and mustard are my favorite.

I checked their website, and they feature locally made sausages from Lothar's. Almost surely, that's what I'll be trying on my first visit here.

Does it really matter if a sausage is made in Loudoun County or a processing plant somewhere in Wisconsin? Beats me. I guess it depends on the method of manufacture and whether or not the meat has ever been frozen.

I would put it ahead of Leesburg's Windy City Red hots. Both are good though.

[i just put them in the Multiple Locations guide, and was wondering whether or not to initiailize them ahead of, or behind, Windy City Red Hots. I'd originally put them behind, but flipped them around based on your comment. (Don't think for a moment that everyone's posts here don't have an impact on the Dining Guides; they absolutely do.)]

I checked their website, and they feature locally made sausages from Lothar's. Almost surely, that's what I'll be trying on my first visit here.

Side note: Lothar is a pretty well liked in Purcellville, many local restaurants use his sausage. He definitely knows his stuff and and if you were to pick up sausage from him at the farmers market stick to the german style stuff, like his excellent Bratwurst. It's legit. The other place Haute Dogs get local sausage is Fields of Athenry, which is a fabulous farm to get meat from. Can't say anything about their sausage because I haven't had it but they are one of the places I trust for quality beef and pork.

[i just put them in the Multiple Locations guide, and was wondering whether or not to initiailize them ahead of, or behind, Windy City Red Hots. I'd originally put them behind, but flipped them around based on your comment. (Don't think for a moment that everyone's posts here don't have an impact on the Dining Guides; they absolutely do.)]

Just some context on why I put it ahead, since I am awful at that. In general much of what Windy City does is out of cans. This is fine for the product they produce, and honestly for a chicago dog, its darn good.

Haute Dogs on the other hand does a lot of stuff in house and you can tell when you are eating it. Plus with the use of local sausage makers and farms (that are quite good), that gives them the edge, IMHO.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:27 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Haute Dogs location in Purcellville closed several months ago.  Too bad, it was their original and very good.

This is too bad, but from their viewpoint, they may have "moved up in the world" by trading Purcellville for Old Town.

They also have a location in Nationals Park, open two hours before every home game.

Haute Dogs & Fries still appears to be using Lothar's sausages.

Haute Dog Menu 2016 (downloadable pdf file)

Not sure they are at Nats Park any longer, or maybe they moved from their original location, or I am going senile.  I think they were a one-and-done (season) at the park.  I once got something like a banh mi dog, and although the bun and toppings were excellent, the dog itself was rubbery.  Possibly due to constraints of cooking at a concession stand.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, JBag57 said:

Not sure they are at Nats Park any longer,

This will mean I don't eat dogs at the park any more. They were the same price as the nasty NatsDogs, but I found them much better. They were usually hot!