Honoring Mrs. B

hillvalley

I am in shock, too. Here's to you, Mrs. B. In your honor, I am having a glass or two of Beckmen Vineyards' 2008 Grenache. It's comfort food, indeed. Waitman, I haven't seen you in many years, and you may have no idea who I am, but you and Mrs. B. blew me away with your you-ness many years ago. You made me believe in love (again). I am so sorry for your loss.

Holy shit. I just realized how much you all mean to me.

I met Mrs. B and Waitman exactly once--maybe a half decade ago at the goodbye dinner for San Marco. I don't remember much about that night (it WAS a DR dinner), but what's mattered more is the years since, when I've gotten to know them through their posts here--Mrs. B's circumspect, funny, honest, personal posts that were so well complemented Waitman's unvarnished and untimid opinions. What a pair.

I value them and everyone on this site so much. I might not recognize a single one of you if I ran into you on the street, but this is a community, a Fraternity of Good People that I see as friends.

Cheers to you, Waitman and Mrs. B. You mean more to me than you know.

The hours of:

July 25, 2007, 12-1 PM

October 2, 2007, 10-11 AM

May 27, 2010, 12-1 PM

May 5, 2011

May 29, 2012, 12-1 PM

August 8, 2012

October 25, 2012 12-1 PM

will forever be remembered as hours of silence in this community, observed out of honor and respect for beerman, lyonhearted, StephenB, Eva R, Charles Geer, Karen R, and now, Mrs. B.

We will all miss you, Stephanie. You were, are, and will always be loved.

Thanks to all of you. As everyone on Don Rockwell knows, we had a division of labor in our family: I was the asshole and Stephanie was the woman who -- as much as she tried to deny it -- was pretty much always loving and wonderful. More than once, she followed behind after I'd posted a surly review of one restaurant or another, gently disagreeing and finding the best about the place to talk about. Probably how she lived with me for thirty years -- overlooked the warts to see the best.

For those who wish to say goodbye -- fucking stupid euphemism, that -- there will be a viewing at De Vol's funeral home, 2222 Wisconsin Ave NW 2-5 Saturday, a proper funeral mass at the Church of the Sacred Heart, 16th and Park, on Monday at noon (Bummer about the weather) and an improper, covered dish wake at the Raven immediately after.

Charles,

Judy, the R24 team and I, send to you and your family our prayers. We were just reminded of what a wonderful evening we got to share with you and Stephanie on your aniversary. The Frank Sinatra and Grateful Dead Evening will always be on our minds.

The best for you and your family.

We will jam to the Weather Suite on Monday into let it grow as loud as we can.

God Bless.

Charles,

Judy, the R24 team and I, send to you and your family our prayers. We were just reminded of what a wonderful evening we got to share with you and Stephanie on your aniversary. The Frank Sinatra and Grateful Dead Evening will always be on our minds.

The best for you and your family.

We will jam to the Weather Suite on Monday into let it grow as loud as we can.

God Bless.

Bring your iPod to the Raven....

Charles just posted this on Facebook. With his permission, I repost it here:

"In lieu of flowers, please do something special with someone you love, or contribute -- as Stephanie did-- to an organization that serves the less fortunate. In DC, Stephanie left a modest amount to the DC Central Kitchen and the Church of the Sacred Heart Food Bank."

Although I only knew you two from DR events, I'm very sorry about Mrs. B's passing. I have a pleasant memory, hopefully correct, of sliently watching Charles and Stephanie who were enjoying themselves back in Nectar's bar. It was the first restaurant I had loyalty to, because of the way it was run by Jarad Slipp and Jamison Blankenship. Now, that memory is strengthened by its association with the happy couple.

Thanks to all of you. As everyone on Don Rockwell knows, we had a division of labor in our family: I was the asshole and Stephanie was the woman who -- as much as she tried to deny it -- was pretty much always loving and wonderful. More than once, she followed behind after I'd posted a surly review of one restaurant or another, gently disagreeing and finding the best about the place to talk about. Probably how she lived with me for thirty years -- overlooked the warts to see the best.

For those who wish to say goodbye -- fucking stupid euphemism, that -- there will be a viewing at De Vol's funeral home, 2222 Wisconsin Ave NW 2-5 Saturday, a proper funeral mass at the Church of the Sacred Heart, 16th and Park, on Monday at noon (Bummer about the weather) and an improper, covered dish wake at the Raven immediately after.

Charles,

I would have PM'ed you this but could not, so instead I will quadruple-space you. I can not tell you the many ways you and your family have saved me from a despondancy that without you I never would have survived.

As much as I wish to say privately, I can only say publicly the love and appreciation I feel for you and your lovely, lovely family.

Paltry as it may be, please accept this and know that I wait for the chance to be a better friend,

Michael

Wow--as a relative newcomer here who didn't know either of you offline, just want to send many, many warm thoughts your way. It continues to amaze me what a strong and wonderful community DR.com is. Clearly Waitman and Mrs B have been central stones in the bedrock upon which other, newer, less prolific types (like me) stand. With sadness and regret for you and your family. And joy for a life undoubtedly well lived.