El Paso Cafe, Independently Owned Tex-Mex in Arlington

I really don't know about El Paso, but perhaps this is a franchise operation? Are there really this many restaurants under the same ownership? Could someone - anyone - find out and get a definitive answer?

The website makes no mention of any location other than Arlington. I've been there, and it seems like more of a Mom & Pop operation (although the Web site is pretty slick).

I was surprised not to find a topic on El Paso Cafe. They've been around for 20 years, according to their website.

http://www.elpasocafeva.com/home.html

Anyways, this was one of the places that friends always talked about and it wasn't until I moved into my current apartment that I got around to trying it. Now, I eat there too much, because it's right across the street from my house.

And I can't stop thinking about eating there tonight even though I have leftovers I should consume.

My favorite dish right now is their carne asada perfecta ($14.25). You get a delicious cut of skirt steak, refried beans, rice, a couple slices of avocado, lime wedge, half a charred jalapeno, and some pico de gallo. Personally, I squirt some lime juice on the steak, then match each bite up with some avocado and jalapeno, eating all that first (being thin, the steak will cool off quickly). Then I mix everything else up and eat it with the tortilla chips they give you with salsa to begin your meal.

The service can be hit or miss - it's almost always very very friendly, but they can be distracted and/or slow.

I've not yet had a margarita there but my brother has enjoyed his. I usually stick with the "tall" draft beers, though if you get a regular sized one it comes in a glass boot.

Anyways (again). That sounds really good right about now, while I'm stuck in my office. Do I really want leftover pizza tonight?

I was surprised not to find a topic on El Paso Cafe. They've been around for 20 years, according to their website.

http://www.elpasocafeva.com/home.html

Uh, because you stumbled upon the one FATAL FLAW of this wonderful Board, the dreaded "Multiple Locations" section of the dining guide.

That's right, imagine checking out a locale for restaurants that might be there, and never knowing that Jaleo or Lebanese Taverna are in the neighborhood....because they got dumped into "Multiple Locations"...!

They've been around for 20 years, according to their website.

The website also notes President Bush's visit in October, 2001. I was actually stuck at the intersection of Glebe and Pershing when his motorcade arrived -- I believe it was his first trip out to a restaurant after 9/11.

According to the Arlington staff tonight they are completely independent and unaffiliated with any other branch. The idea that (for instance) the Springfield El Paso may say otherwise made them pissed off.

But what does this mean? Don't corporations or LLCs in Virginia have to have unique names?

Could El Paso be our own version of "Famous Ray's" in NYC?

There's a difference between your corporate/LLC name and who you're doing business as. The former has to be unique, but I can't imagine they can say "only one restaurant in the entire state can be called X" in all cases - especially with as generic of a name as one taken from a city. But I am not a lawyer. So I'll ask one.

There's a difference between your corporate/LLC name and who you're doing business as. The former has to be unique, but I can't imagine they can say "only one restaurant in the entire state can be called X" in all cases - especially with as generic of a name as one taken from a city. But I am not a lawyer. So I'll ask one.

El Paso Cafe has been registered as a trade name in Arlington County by an entity named ABY BUCKINGHAM, INC. Information regarding the Fairfax El Pasos is not as easily ascertained.

Does that mean I can open up the CityZen Cafe downtown, or the Microsoft Shoppe, or the McDonald's Ristorante...?

As long as you're prepared to explain to the lawyers of those firms why you're taking their name and aren't really trying to operate under false pretenses, no problem. I doubt that a Mom & Pop restaurant is prepared to go to that extreme.

17 hours ago, dcs said:

Furthermore, it's a Poké-Gym, and I got my first-ever Snorlax there. :)

Just two days ago, there were three guys sitting on the pavement, under a couple of signs that say, "No Loitering" - we tried to get some pictures because it was hilarious, but we didn't want to be rude.

• Like 1