Photo

Attman's Deli, Legendary Baltimore Deli Comes To Cabin John Shopping Center in Potomac

Baltimore Chain Potomac Deli

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Todd Kliman is reporting that Baltimore deli legend Attman's has signed a lease to open in the old Celebrity Delly space in the Cabin John shopping center.

Holy cow, please let this be true...

#2 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Todd Kliman is reporting that Baltimore deli legend Attman's has signed a lease to open in the old Celebrity Delly space in the Cabin John shopping center.

Holy cow, please let this be true...

Something tells me they're going to get their supplies from Acme Paper. :)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#3 amykaplow

amykaplow

shrimp

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

There is a message posted on the street sign at Cabin John that says that the deli is opening there. Very excited. Hopefully, Potomac will have a decent deli.

#4 stockwatch

stockwatch

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

According to their twitter page, they will be there in about 5 months, which puts the opening around mid-April.

http://twitter.com/ATTMANS2ndDeli

#5 Bimbo

Bimbo

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Something tells me they're going to get their supplies from Acme Paper. :)

Probably at a discount..
Courtney

Quand je considčre mon derričre, je constate qu’il est divisé en deux parties égales. - Winston Churchill

#6 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

They haven't opened yet (they say next month), but they're having a hot dog cart this weekend.  From their Facebook page:

Attention Montgomery County Fans!! Attman's Hot Dog Harry will be coming to Potomac, MD!!

Where? 7913 Tuckerman Lane ( corner of Seven Locks Rd.)
When: This Saturday, Sunday, & Monday ( May 25,26,27th)

Time: from Noon till 4 pm
Serving our Famous Attman's Hot Dogs with Bologna and the Works for $4.00 each / Stay tuned for more information about the upcoming opening of Attman's Potomac, scheduled to open next month!

• ol_ironstomach likes this

#7 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

The sign on the road says they are open, but not at 7am when I passed by.  The crowd of workers out front wearing Attman's t-shirts waiting to get in seems to confirm they will be open sometime today.

#8 cheezepowder

cheezepowder

leviathan

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

The sign on the road says they are open, but not at 7am when I passed by.  The crowd of workers out front wearing Attman's t-shirts waiting to get in seems to confirm they will be open sometime today.

Yup, the Potomac location opened for their first day of business yesterday at 10:30 or 11am (with a preview event over the weekend).

#9 DMVDining2

DMVDining2

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yep, we went this past weekend during their preview event. It's so refreshing that this area will finally have a legit Jewish-style deli with major lasting power. The extra lean corned beef on rye was outstanding - generous slices of tender, flavorful corned beef sandwiched by soft rye bread and a slab of deli mustard. The pastrami was very good as well, but it's the corned beef that really stands out here.

I have a feeling this place will make a killing in catering alone. Kind of annoying it's not fully kosher, but there are still a ton of options nonetheless. If you want to check out some pics and such, we just did a post on it here:

Attman’s Delicatessen Opens in Potomac

Brett
DMV Dining

#10 KeithA

KeithA

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Kind of annoying it's not fully kosher, but there are still a ton of options nonetheless.

While I fully support and wish more kosher places would open in the area for my kosher friends, historically kosher delis have been a small minority of delis in the last 50 years anywhere in America and I may be wrong, but I don't know if Attman's has ever been kosher.  There is a reason "kosher-style" often is applied to delis who often serve up Reubens and other non-kosher combos. 

Also for those that don't know, one of the few (there are only a handful or less) kosher restaurants in DC is Eli's Deli - http://www.elis-dc.com/ that has managed to stay open since 2004 which is a big feat for a kosher DC restaurant. I can't vouch for their food though.

That being said wonderful news that Attmans has an outpost in the DC metro area. When my wife lived in Baltimore years ago, we would regularly head over to corned beef row for excellent sandwiches (love the Cloak & Dagger) and dogs. Can't wait to try the Potomac spot.  Sure to make many menschen very happy!

#11 DanielK

DanielK

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

We were in on Friday, at the tail end of the lunch rush on the first soft opening day.

Perfectly sliced corned beef - I didn't order extra lean but that's what I got. I like a little more fat so it doesn't tend towards dry (as this did). I also expected it to be steamed hot, but this was served at room temperature. Pastrami was very very good, and also just the right thickness. Rye was fine - good rye flavor, but no crisp to the crust at all.

A meat knish was ordinary.

First soft opening day, so no real assessment. A mile away, Brooklyn's is serving meats almost as good, on the best rye anywhere.

#12 eroica38

eroica38

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Was thinking of trying the new Attman's this Friday and was surprised as to the silence since July.  Has anyone been there recently?   

#13 mbucher

mbucher

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thumbs up. If you want fancy put a blindfold on. Buckle up..

#14 Lori Gardner

Lori Gardner

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

have heard very mixed reports.  hope to see more feedback here.

follow me on twitter: @foodobsessed6
follow my blog: Been There Eaten That

#15 hmmboy

hmmboy

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Really enjoyed a pastrami sandwich here this past weekend. No noticeable drop off from the Baltimore flagship. The pastrami is a different animal than Chef Stachowski's and Chef Anda's, both of which are excellent as well. This is more the Jewish deli pastrami I grew up with, and while its not gonna transport you to Katz's by any strech, I am thrilled to have it as an option in my hood. The stuffed cabbage was also enjoyable, albeit a bit underseasoned. And really good 1/2 sour pickles!
"I get slandered, libeled, I hear words I never heard in the Bible. And I'm so tired - I'm oh so tired. But I'm trying to keep my customers satisfied. Satisfied." Simon & Garfunkel

Mark A. Kuller
Proof, Estadio, doi moi, & 2birds1stone

#16 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Really enjoyed a pastrami sandwich here this past weekend. No noticeable drop off from the Baltimore flagship. The pastrami is a different animal than Chef Stachowski's and Chef Anda's, both of which are excellent as well. This is more the Jewish deli pastrami I grew up with, and while its not gonna transport you to Katz's by any strech, I am thrilled to have it as an option in my hood. The stuffed cabbage was also enjoyable, albeit a bit underseasoned. And really good 1/2 sour pickles!

FWIW, I had a Corned Beef Sandwich ($9.99) here about a month ago, and was unimpressed to the level of being disappointed. I trust your taste in Jewish deli, so I guess the takeaway here is: pastrami, not corned beef.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#17 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

I don't know.   I wasn't impressed with the matzo ball soup or the chopped liver.  The lox, onions and eggs were not "lightly scrambled" but deeply overcooked.  Mr. BLB didn't like the pastrami one bit.

But BL-1st grader LOVES, LOVES, LOVES the place.   But I think he's mostly eating eggs and pancakes.  

I voted for not going back but Mr. BLB is a push over for the kid.  I'd much rather head over to Brooklyn Deli.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Baltimore Chain, Potomac, Deli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users