Flying Dog Beer Dinner at Grapeseed, November 23rd

Jeff Heineman

On the Friday Night after Thanksgiving we will be hosting a special Dinner with Our food and Flying Dog's Beer.

It will start with Hors D'oeuvres at 6:30 and dinner will start around 7.

I will go talk about the foods and why I paired what with what, and Kathleen Naughton from the Brewery will talk about the Beers.

The Cost is $59. Please call 301-986-9592 for reservations.

menu:

Blue Crab Hors D’oeuvres

Underdog Atlantic Lager, 4.7% abv

Sunchoke Soup, Roasted Apple, Duck Confit

K9 Winter Ale, 7.4% abv

Pan Roasted Icelandic Cod, Crispy Brandade, Oyster Mushrooms, Porcini Cream

Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, 5.5% abv

Grilled then Braised Duroc Pork Shoulder, Paparadelle, Cipolini Onions, Apricots

Wildeman Farmhouse IPA, 7.5% abv

Nutella Brownie, Hazelnut Semifreddo, Toasted Meringue

Gonzo Imperial Porter, 9.2 % abv

It will be fun, that's how beer works

In keeping with my tradition of always having a DR.com special...mention that you are a DR.com member and the $59 price is all inclusive for you. So, bring the folks that you like from Thanksgiving, come out and have a good meal with good beer, then go back to the folks that you'd rather avoid, and eat leftovers on Saturday.

Wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the Grapeseed thread - please feel free to move it there if that would be more appropriate Don & mods, thanks. :)

All I have to say is this meal was fucking fantastic! From start to finish each dish was really outstanding and the pairings really hit the mark. I would be pressed to pick a favorite, but I really liked the sunchoke soup w/duck confit and roasted apples & sunchokes with the K9 Winter Ale. This was probably my favorite pairing in terms of how the food and beer complimented each other. Although the pork shoulder course was also one where I felt the beer's food friendliness really shined with that specific dish. But the cod dish was amazing, and I would happily order a few of those crab fritters (hush puppies?) on tartar sauce as a snack at the bar or before a meal if they were offered. Sadly I was so full by dessert that I couldn't finish it, but that hazelnut semifreddo, swoon.

I would like to go into greater detail about the dishes but I'm too full and tired to do it. But seriously, I cannot overstate how good this meal was. Certainly the best meal I've had at Grapeseed. For $59. Ridiculous.

This has only reinforced my desire to get to one of the dinners Jeff has been offering on the weekends. If they're anywhere near as good as this, I will leave happy.