DC Mobile Sharpening, Mobile Knife Sharpening with a Stand in Union Market

TedE

Wanted to give a plug for these guys. They have a stand up now in the new Union Market, and I dropped my knives off over the weekend (chef knife that needed to be slightly ground down for a ding on the cutting edge, and a Global paring knife that I despise sharpening myself). All of the work is done on stones, no wheels (except for grinding needed for repair). Really quality service.

Both knives were $25 combined; they had them turned around in a day. For simple touch ups and if they don't have a large back load they can do the work as you browse or have lunch. Site lists prices per inch, and they do most any type of blade. They even offered to drop them off at our house for free when finished (the mobile part of the business). Very happy to have a reasonable place to get quality knife sharpening when I don't feel up to dragging out my stones and doing it myself.

And if you feel like dropping several hundred dollars they have some absolutely beautiful custom knives from a local smith for sale. All come with lifetime free sharpening.

They've expanded their stand to include a lot more Japanese knives, most of them modestly priced, in both production and handmade steels.  There are even a few with a left-handed grind, including a couple of yanagis.

Ryan Swanson, the owner, was busy working a small Henckels on flat water stones using the traditional Japanese technique, which is something I haven't seen very often around here.  Properly done, he was taking transparent paper-thin shavings off a ripe tomato with it.

$1.75 per blade inch for conventional grind; $2-6 per blade inch for single (Japanese) grind, according to the placard at the register.

They stop by Weygandt Wines in Cleveland Park; first Tuesday of every month, 5-8pm.

I dropped off my chef's knife with them, took my kid for an ice-cream, and it was ready by the time we got back. Great service, excellent quality product, and very reasonable pricing. I'd definitely recommend these folks.