"Bean-to-Cup" Coffee Tasting and Presentation w/ MadCap Coffee!! Confirmed for Saturday, December 8th @ 1:30pm (address to be PMed to confirmed attendees)

darkstar965

As promised a couple of months ago, I'm now soliciting interest for a special tasting with MadCap Coffee here in DC. The event would be free for attendees but rich in bean and knowledge. In short, a unique experience sure to be lots of fun. We're targeting either Dec 7th (Friday) late afternoon/evening or earlier in the day Dec 8th, Saturday depending on what those interested prefer.

MadCap is a Grand Rapids based roaster and retailer now selling coffee in states across the US. They are intensely focused on product quality with direct sourcing from relationships built over years in Latin America. Most of all, they're good people happy to do this session for DonRockwell members.

Trevor Corlett, the CEO and founder of MadCap and Colin Whitcomb, Head of Training & Quality Control, will be our hosts. In addition to running MadCap and possessing amazing knowledge about coffee, these guys are also regulars on the national barista competition circuit next beginning in early December. Brewed coffee, espresso, they do it all.

I first wrote about MadCap here on dr.com early this year soon after I tried their coffee at Dolcezza or one of the NRG outposts (Evening Star, Buzz Bakery) where the coffee is sold. Can see that thread here.

Please let me know if you'd be interested to attend this and, if so, which of the two days you'd prefer. If you're indifferent between the two days, that's great too; just let me know. There will be a limit of 15-20 people for this but we'll keep a wait list if needed also. Can post here or PM me to raise a hand and we'll do the normal first-come, first-served by time stamps.

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to this. It should be much fun, instructive and, most of all, delicious! Perfect for the holidays...or anytime.

Starting a count which I'll update as people indicate interest. Again, if interested in this event, please let me know if one day is better than the other or if either would work for you. Can post here to indicate interest or pm. 15-20 people will be the maximum for this.

darkstar965 + 1

porcupine

ad.mich

Running Total: 4

As promised a couple of months ago, I'm now soliciting interest for a special tasting (er, cupping) with MadCap Coffee here in DC. The event would be free for attendees but rich in bean and knowledge. In short, a unique experience sure to be lots of fun. We're targeting either Dec 7th (Friday) late afternoon/evening or earlier in the day Dec 8th, Saturday depending on what those interested prefer.

Is it a cupping or a tasting, because they are two very different things. I generally don't encourage folks to cup as a way to learn about new coffee. The technique for cupping is somewhat involved and takes at least several session to master enough to actually start appreciating the coffee itself. However, a tasting in which you have an opportunity to try several different coffees at the same time is much more valuable for those trying to develop their knowledge of coffee.

Joel makes a great point above. For anyone interested to read more about the difference between coffee "cuppings" and "tastings," here is one roaster's/blogger's take which does a good job detailing them.

Our event with MadCap will be a tasting. Really just about trying some good, interesting and freshly brewed joe while learning a little and having some fun along the way with old and new friends.

By the way, we won't finalize the date between the 7th and 8th until late this coming week. I fired a bit early with my "penultimate" call just above. That'll afford more opportunity for others to raise hands and express preferences.

Thanks for the correction, Joel!

Final call for anyone interested to attend this coffee tasting when the choice of date can still be influenced. There will still be plenty of space from tomorrow on so anyone can still raise a hand. Just that a single date will be set by tonight/early tomorrow. So please do raise a hand (post here or PM me--welcome aboard, olivelady (love your handle btw :) ) and let me know preference between next Friday (late afternoon/early evening) or Saturday (mid/late morning) or, best of all, if you could make either day. All members welcome and especially excited to have some newer members with some of the more tenured folks.

This event will take place in the Dupont Circle neighborhood.

Updated list and, if you've already let me know a preferred date and it's not reflected below, no worries as I do have it. Will do the best possible to accommodate as many as we can with whichever date chosen. Thank you!

darkstar965 + 2

porcupine

ad.mich

zoramargolis (maybe + 1; date dependent)

billadler (+1)

choirgirl (pref for Fri/7th)

olivelady (pref for Sat/8th)

goldenticket

Running Total: 12

Oh, one other bit I've been asked about that I'll share here. There is no charge for this event as already described above. Teaching, plenty of Q&A/discussion, and tastings of several coffees with different brewing methods used. Everyone will likely also get a small package to take home (though can't guarantee that). They will have pound packages of the different coffees available. So, if anyone likes what they taste, is looking for holiday gifts or whatever, you'll be able to buy beans also.

Wow! This event-organizing stuff has a lot of moving parts in marionette-sort-of-way. Not a complaint here though. Lots of fun to do and, of course, many here on DR have done this dozens if not hundreds of times.

FINAL INFO FOR THE MADCAP "BEAN-TO-CUP" PRESENTATION, DISCUSSION AND TASTING

WHEN: Saturday, December 8th at 1:30pm

WHERE: Dupont Circle area (address will be PMed to all confirmed)

CURRENT LIST OF ATTENDEES:

darkstar965 +3

ad.mich +1

zoramargolis (maybe +1, space permitting)

billadler +1

choirgirl

olivelady

iolaire

Susan (iolaire's + 1)

DanielK's + 1

Current (but still running) Total: 13-16

NEXT STEPS

I will PM all confirmed above by tomorrow with specific location for Saturday. Beyond that, have a great week and see you Saturday.

And, if you're not on the above list but would like to join us? PLEASE DO but let me know by posting here or sending me a PM. We still have plenty of room and would LOVE to include more DR members.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Our host/leader/expert will be Trevor Corlett. Trevor is the founder and CEO of MadCap. Beyond that, he has been in the coffee business for more than 10 years having operated a number of quality shops and currently serves as Vice Chair of the Barista Guild of America while competing on the US Barista Championship circuit. Just this past weekend, Trevor finished fourth in the Southeast Regional Barista Championship with his colleague Colin Whitcomb finishing second. Peregrine here in DC finished 6th and only MadCap took more than 1 of the top 6 spots. Suffice to say, we're thrilled Trevor agreed to host us as he's a guy who really knows coffee whether brewed or pulled, from the trees around the globe to the ins and outs of operating successful quality coffee shops. And, most of all, he's a very nice, unassuming guy. A few links below with more on the above references if interested.

Trevor's Bio

click

MadCap's new website:

click#2

Southeast Regional Barista Championship Results from this past weekend:

click#3

Interested to learn more about the US Barista Championships? Regionals feed the National, which will be in Boston in April for 2013. More info here:

click#4

Again, if you're not on the list for this (free) event and would like to join,

PLEASE DO BY POSTING HERE OR PM'ING ME. We'd LOVE to have you and you would have a FUN & caffeinated time :D

Heading into the final day before showtime for this event, we're now a confirmed group of 14 with one additional possible. All confirmed should have the address and final logistics by PM so check your inboxes here on the website and let me know if anything's amiss or you have any questions.

And for those not registered for this: There's Still Time!

New member? Absolutely consider joining us Saturday for coffee.

Seasoned member? What are you waiting for?

Can we get to 17?

Post here or PM me if you'd like to register last minute. Can scroll up for all the info.

CURRENT LIST OF ATTENDEES:

darkstar965 +2

ad.mich +1

zoramargolis (maybe +1)

billadler +1

choirgirl

olivelady

iolaire

DanielK's + 1

cheezepowder

Current (and still running!) Total: 13-14