Verjus

Divine One

Any idea where I can pick up verjus (or verjuice) in DC area, hopefully Va? Making a duck with verjus and green peppercorn sauce and have had no luck at all. Many thanks!

Call around to Lebanese/Syrian shops (asking for it as "husroum"). Perhaps other ethnic shops could have it as well, under a different language name?

I was looking for sour grape juice, which I understand is similar but perhaps less expensive. Lebanese Taverna Market said they don't have it. If anyone else knows where to get it, I'd love to know. Otherwise, will try Butcher's Block for verjus.

(Mainly, I need a non-alcoholic substitute for wine in cooking - dishes I've made with lemon juice or vinegar instead haven't been great. Though I think this may only substitute for red wine?)

I was looking for sour grape juice, which I understand is similar but perhaps less expensive. Lebanese Taverna Market said they don't have it. If anyone else knows where to get it, I'd love to know. Otherwise, will try Butcher's Block for verjus.

(Mainly, I need a non-alcoholic substitute for wine in cooking - dishes I've made with lemon juice or vinegar instead haven't been great. Though I think this may only substitute for red wine?)

I have seen verjus at Wegman's, Balducci and BlackSalt, if my memory serves me. (Please call to verify, if you are planning to make a trip to one of these locales.)